SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

You can pretend all you want that this doesn't imitate native head dress, but we all know those feathers are arranged that way for a reason.  The NCAA is going to take a very close look at whatever we adopt and if we keep pulling stunts like this we not make the playoffs with an 11-0 record.   This is the main reason Kelley is having a hired firm do the drawing and then we can finally move on.

Wait.....what? What are you talking about, the battle with the NCAA is over, the SIOUX name and logo are gone! Back away....the NCAA is not watching UND!

• Upvote 1

You'll have to be more specific. Which white one and which lines?

I'd emphasize the outline, and remove the inside stuff.  Make it less busy.  I know from an artistic perspective why you have added some of the stuff that adds depth and dimension but for me and a logo you need/want only the bare minimum.

This one is growing on me a little bit. Try and envision it with the proper green though. Still not sure why it gets so different on this site.

fighting hawks logo concept green.jpg

I'm liking it.  Getting closer.  I don't think the NCAA would mess with a lawsuit over something like this. 

This one is growing on me a little bit. Try and envision it with the proper green though. Still not sure why it gets so different on this site.

fighting hawks logo concept green.jpg

I kind of like this one, stands out more than the black one. Personally, still a little busy for but I like the premise.

Try uploading it to http://imgur.com/ and posting the link, would really like to see what it looks like with the proper green. Free upload and it should keep the colors correct.

I'll agree with jdub: It's still a little busy. OK, a lot busy. :D 

This observation (and the litany of nitpicking that precedes it) is but one reason why you need to consider handing this off to a professional designer who has no connection to UND.  Ben Brien, a current student, a "local artist," a siouxsports.com poster with 6,838 posts…with all due respect, none of these people have sufficient objectivity or a broad-enough world view, and will likely try too hard and their work will suffer for it.

This observation (and the litany of nitpicking that precedes it) is but one reason why you need to consider handing this off to a professional designer who has no connection to UND.  Ben Brien, a current student, a "local artist," a siouxsports.com poster with 6,838 posts…with all due respect, none of these people have sufficient objectivity or a broad-enough world view, and will likely try too hard and their work will suffer for it.

Yes, lots of nitpicking; won't disagree.

But I also remember when the Brien logo came out it too was deemed "too busy" by the manufacturers that had to produce it. They cleaned it up for vector graphics and did some other modifications.

Don't believe me? The Brien signature* is only in the feathers when the logo is 12 inches or larger (like back of jackets, jersey fronts, or the granite floors). 

So I'm nitpicking, but I'm also giving a preview of the critique the pros will give. 

*Yes, Ben's signature is in the feathers in the floor in REA. If you don't know that you are forever precluded from using the old nickname. 

• Upvote 1