SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 FCS Thread

SWSiouxMN

I agree. The kid is lucky that he is not eating his dinner through a straw tonight. Morlock is a genuinely nice kid. Knowing him a little bit through scouts (he is an eagle scout who still helps out some with the younger kids) I had a hard time believing he had punched someone unprovoked. Thank goodness that everybody carries a video recorder these days.  

Not to mention a State champion wrestler. Might not be the biggest guy on NDSU by size and weight but probably in the top 5 of guys not to mess with.

This is a non-story unless the fan receives some sort of punishment. Morlock showed incredible restraint.

• Upvote 1

Things that will not get you suspended at Fargo U (a running list):

1. Voter fraud
  2. Running from the cops after stealing a road sign
  3. Punching someone out after a night of drinking after their girlfriend turns you down, followed by running from the cops while in handcuffs
  4. Theft (Note: suspension may apply if you were not going to play regardless)
  5. Punching a fan

Just for the record, fans need to stay off the field and away from opposing players.  That being said, a player should never swing at a fan.  

So they are supposed to let them grab their face mask and pull them around the field, maybe twist it a little, poke them in the eye, etc.?   By the way, he didn't swing at a fan. It looked like he brought his arm up to try to get the fans hand off his mask. As was mentioned earlier, if Morlock had swung at the fan with bad intentions, the fan would have been out and eating through a straw today if he was lucky. Mr. Morlock is a solid 230 and has spent a lot of time in the weight room. 

So they are supposed to let them grab their face mask and pull them around the field, maybe twist it a little, poke them in the eye, etc.?   By the way, he didn't swing at a fan. It looked like he brought his arm up to try to get the fans hand off his mask. As was mentioned earlier, if Morlock had swung at the fan with bad intentions, the fan would have been out and eating through a straw today if he was lucky. Mr. Morlock is a solid 230 and has spent a lot of time in the weight room. 

Weird that you need to add in things that didn't happen and make it sound a lot worse than it actually was just to defend it. Sure looks to me like he shrugged him off with his right arm (no issues with that) and then followed with a swing with his left (where the problem lies).  And you know damn well if it was a UND player that had done the same thing, FargoU fans would be in an faux uproar, contacting media stations across the nation demanding the player to be suspended or kicked off the team. Not even debatable.  I'm still hearing/reading crap about the supposed cheap shot (that wasn't) a UND player had on UM's QB last year from bison fans that I know didn't see the game.

I didn't expect any discipline from FU on this regardless of what the tape showed.  In this situation, some discussion is warranted, suspension unlikely. 

The ironic thing with this is the FU fans here and in their board talking about the likely cheap shots during our upcoming game because Bubba "won't be able to control his players".   

Weird that you need to add in things that didn't happen and make it sound a lot worse than it actually was just to defend it. Sure looks to me like he shrugged him off with his right arm (no issues with that) and then followed with a swing with his left (where the problem lies).  And you know damn well if it was a UND player that had done the same thing, FargoU fans would be in an faux uproar, contacting media stations across the nation demanding the player to be suspended or kicked off the team. Not even debatable.  I'm still hearing/reading crap about the supposed cheap shot (that wasn't) a UND player had on UM's QB last year from bison fans that I know didn't see the game.

Didn't see a "swing" with his left arm. He was trying to dislodge the fans hand from his face mask. If he really wanted to hurt the fan he would have had no problem catching him and knocking him out. 

Univ of Montana has issued a statement apologizing to NDSU and their players for their fan's behavior. Said it was inexcusable. 

Univ of Montana has issued a statement apologizing to NDSU and their players for their fan's behavior. Said it was inexcusable. 

I didn't defend the fan's actions, in fact I stated fans need to stay off the field and away from opposing players. I also didn't have to add a bunch of things to try to make what the fan did do worse than it actually was. But none of that that precludes Morlock from being in the wrong as well.

The ironic thing with this is the FU fans here and in their board talking about the likely cheap shots during our upcoming game because Bubba "won't be able to control his players".   

What's amusing is they won't even see the irony in it. However it is funny to see baseless assumptions and accusations like that before UND has even played a down this year though.

I didn't defend the fan's actions, in fact I stated fans need to stay off the field and away from opposing players. I also didn't have to add a bunch of things to try to make what the fan did do worse than it actually was. But none of that that precludes Morlock from being in the wrong as well.

What's amusing is they won't even see the irony in it. However it is funny to see baseless assumptions and accusations like that before UND has even played a down this year though.

The fan grabbed his face mask. What was he supposed to do. Leave his hand on it as long as the fan wanted to? You tell me proper etiquette for that scenario. Or as some would ask in this forum, WWBD  (what would Bubba do). 

• Downvote 1

The fan grabbed his face mask. What was he supposed to do. Leave his hand on it as long as the fan wanted to? You tell me proper etiquette for that scenario. Or as some would ask in this forum, WWBD  (what would Bubba do). 

I have no problem with shrugging him off like he did.  That does not excuse throwing a punch.

I have no problem with shrugging him off like he did.  That does not excuse throwing a punch.

Would you please post your video of the punch? You must have an exclusive video because 2 I have seen do not show a punch. 

Do you suppose the Missoula PD allowed Morlock to get on the plane back to Fargo Darell? Can you fill us in on the charges? 

I made the assumption based on nothing more than a player punched a fan, this was before the video and details came out. When it did come out I said that fan for what he deserved and shouldn't have grabbed his facemask.

Would you please post your video of the punch? You must have an exclusive video because 2 I have seen do not show a punch. 

the video I saw, in which it was tough to see any incident, it looks like the Grizz fan jumped and grabbed morlock face, them he more shoved/threw the guys off. I didn't see him wind up and throw a punch. Not what you want your player to do, but not a situation your player should be in. Fans belong in the stands, not on the field, and of they are really going to go celebrate on the field, thenjoying celebrate ... don't harass and antagonize the players.

KVLY had a pretty good video of the incident.  The fan appeared to not only grab the face mask but also tap/hit the top of Morlock's helmet.  Morlock pushed him off with his right hand...and as others have said, the fan was lucky he didn't do anything else.  Morlock did nothing wrong and there should be no punishment.  The Montana fan, on the other hand, should be banned from future games...at least for this year if not longer.

• Upvote 1

This is a stupid argument.  Chase can defend himself, and if it was a UND player we wouldn't be saying squat.  I think we should focus on the wonderful ending to the actual game!

Agreed, if chase was a UND player, everyone on this thread would be screaming for action against the fan. Good to see that MOST (unfortunately not all) people on here can see that Morlock didn't do anything wrong through their fan bias. I'm not a Bison fan, but lets call it what it is ... a dumb fan. Morlock could have done way more than he did, which would have been uncalled for, but pushing the fan off as he did was completely justified. Well played by him, hope the school identifies the fan and administers some level of punishment.

Be interesting to see any letdown by the Griz with a tricky Poly team and the triple option. Fun little ccontrast of styles.

I'll keep you posted........I'll be at the game as I'm visiting some buddies in Missoula over the long weekend.

Just watched the video, that UM fan deserved worse than Morlock gave him.

Morlock was justified, no problem with his response.

I am wondering the Bison faithful take on the performance of their O-line.  I think they underperformed and was most surprised by that aspect of the game.  Are they overrated?  Still gelling?  Play calling didn't let them take over the game?  Injuries?  Was Montana good on the D-line (didn't appear to be).  I just didn't see NFL when I watched them.

Agree, that Morlock has done nothing to warrant discipline.  Glad Montana realized that kind of thing shouldn't happen, and apologized for the incident.  It is impossible to stop all idiot fans from doing stupid things, but it should be incumbent on the home team to have the requisite security for the opposing team.