SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets change the goal song

theisdog

Alright folks, here is my official unofficial petition/stir up post about UND continuing to use Chelsea Dagger after they score goals.

To be blunt about it, its cheesy, its the Blackhawks, and I hate it. It's time for UND to start its own tradition. New conference, new goal song.

It's hard to pick things that haven't been used already, but with the fanbase and the history of the school I'm sure something could be done.

My first pick would be Fallout boys new song "My songs know what you did in the dark (Light em Up)". The chorus is perfectly appropriate for after a goal is scored and it is upbeat and pretty awesome.

What are all your thoughts? Are you fine with leeching off of the Blackhawks simply because Toews is their captain now and their recent success? Or is it time to have something of our own?

Alright folks, here is my official unofficial petition/stir up post about UND continuing to use Chelsea Dagger after they score goals.

To be blunt about it, its cheesy, its the Blackhawks, and I hate it. It's time for UND to start its own tradition. New conference, new goal song.

It's hard to pick things that haven't been used already, but with the fanbase and the history of the school I'm sure something could be done.

My first pick would be Fallout boys new song "My songs know what you did in the dark (Light em Up)". The chorus is perfectly appropriate for after a goal is scored and it is upbeat and pretty awesome.

What are all your thoughts? Are you fine with leeching off of the Blackhawks simply because Toews is their captain now and their recent success? Or is it time to have something of our own?

Although I like Chelsea Dagger, I too feel like it's ripping off the Blackhawks. Starting on the chorus of Light em Up would be a good idea. Could get an interesting/amusing to watch dance to go with it for sure.

• Upvote 2

So does the Minnesota Rouser but we don't use that do we?

Chelsea Dagger is a straight copy of the blackhawks goal celebration and was chosen after a visit there to watch a former Sioux player. I think Jonathon Toews is great and has been great in the NHL and done a ton for the Blackhawks, but he played 2 years here, he isn't the entire history of UND hockey, and its not the University of Jonathon Toews.

Why not push for something original and new that UND can use?

Chelsea Dagger is a straight copy of the blackhawks goal celebration and was chosen after a visit there to watch a former Sioux player. I think Jonathon Toews is great and has been great in the NHL and done a ton for the Blackhawks, but he played 2 years here, he isn't the entire history of UND hockey, and its not the University of Jonathon Toews.

But it's Jonathan Toews and every Sioux fan should be a Blackhawk fan now, right?

I suggested this a while back....

Hey!

Well my temperature's rising

And my feet left the floor

Crazy people knocking,

'cause they want some more.

Let me in baby,

I don't know what you got

You better take it easy.

This place is hot.

And i'm

So glad you made it

So glad you made it

You gotta

Gimme some lovin'

Gimme some lovin'

Gimme some lovin' everyday.

I actually do cheer for the Blackhawks, but to me that's even more reason to have a different song.

I don't cheer for the Blackhawks and groaned the first time I heard the Chelsea Dagger song in Grand Forks...how original.

I may be wrong but wasn't it the players of the 09-10 team that requested the song be played at the Ralph after attending a Blackhawks game on December 31, 2009. I think it was when they played in a holiday tournament in Hoffman Estates, IL and Toews invited his brother and the rest of the team to see a game. That was the year the Hawks won the Stanley Cup so when UND started using the song most people didn't know it was a rip off till the playoff started that spring and the song because well known as the Hawks made their playoff run. I would prefer no song and just play Stand up and Cheer. That is our real tradition.

• Upvote 1

Wow, timely topic! I sent an email yesterday to several folks in athletics on the same subject - suggesting a new goal song. It's an excellent time to have a new song with a new league starting. I suggested the "light em up" song.

In case you are not familiar with it, here's a link to the song: http://mp3skull.com/mp3/light_em_up.html

If we want a change, we'll have to get more people to want it, because this is the response that I received from Jayson Hajdu:

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the email. We always appreciate feedback from our fans.

Your suggestion is a good one – in fact it’s a song we used for our 2012-13 all-sports highlight video – but at this time the hockey program wishes to continue using Chelsea Dagger, followed by Stand Up and Cheer, as their goal music.

Thank you again for the input.

Wow, timely topic! I sent an email yesterday to several folks in athletics on the same subject - suggesting a new goal song. It's an excellent time to have a new song with a new league starting. I suggested the "light em up" song.

In case you are not familiar with it, here's a link to the song: http://mp3skull.com/...ight_em_up.html

If we want a change, we'll have to get more people to want it, because this is the response that I received from Jayson Hajdu:

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the email. We always appreciate feedback from our fans.

Your suggestion is a good one – in fact it’s a song we used for our 2012-13 all-sports highlight video – but at this time the hockey program wishes to continue using Chelsea Dagger, followed by Stand Up and Cheer, as their goal music.

Thank you again for the input.

That would be a great goal song...better pull the trigger now because I bet other schools and pro teams will be using it at some point.

Light em up up up Light em up up up Light em up up up...i'm on fire!

I guess I like Chelsea Dagger. (Light em Up) would be fine if we had to change but I definitely don't prefer it. Maybe in a few more years I'll start getting bored with it and want something else.

Originality aspect doesn't bother me - especially since we're just talking about jacking some other song with no traditional or other ties to UND hockey as a replacement. It's not like Fallout Boys oozes deeper meaning to me as a Sioux fan. Besides, plenty of people drive the same car, listen to the same music, etc. as me and I don't go around hating them and knitting my own underoo's on principle. (yes, just joking, I get why some people are bothered by it).

ugh, NBC played "Light Em Up" 200 million times during the playoff. and it's kinda generic to me.

I think if anybody can pull off copying the Blackhawks, it is our fanbase and program. But I wouldn't mind changing it, if there's something good to replace it with.

I can't believe I had to go this far for someone to steal my thinking on that song. Already way to sick of it after the NHL playoffs.

I am of the opinion that Chelsea Dagger needs to take a hike. It was fun for awhile, and will be remembered for awhile, but time for a change. I too feel like it rips off the Blackhawks.

Light 'em Up isn't a bad song, but doesn't have the right kind of energy for a goal song. It would be a great warmup/intro vid song though.

I wish I had a different suggestion, but don't at the moment. My first choice would be Stand Up and Cheer, though.

Actually, we do use that by copying the 'sota, sota spelling lesson with Dakota, which I think is even more lame. We certainly should be able to come up with something, but I have no doubt that "Light em up" will be used by many teams as well.

• Upvote 1

I am of the opinion that Chelsea Dagger needs to take a hike. It was fun for awhile, and will be remembered for awhile, but time for a change. I too feel like it rips off the Blackhawks.

Light 'em Up isn't a bad song, but doesn't have the right kind of energy for a goal song. It would be a great warmup/intro vid song though.

I wish I had a different suggestion, but don't at the moment. My first choice would be Stand Up and Cheer, though.

I believe light em up already has been used as a warm up song this past season.

Actually, we do use that by copying the 'sota, sota spelling lesson with Dakota, which I think is even more lame. We certainly should be able to come up with something, but I have no doubt that "Light em up" will be used by many teams as well.

Ugh, I hate that our student section is attempting to challenge the Goofs for spelling bee champion now. WORST. THING. EVER.

Ugh, I hate that our student section is attempting to challenge the Goofs for spelling bee champion now. WORST. THING. EVER.

Duluth students spell out "Bulldogs" and Michigan Tech fans spell out "Technological" after goals...UMD makes me cringe when I hear it...Tech makes me laugh out loud...agree with you, UNDBIZ on UND fans doing it...second worst thing ever only to the pair of stonewashed jeans I used to own in 1988.