SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

Some don't like "Roughriders" because Teddy wasn't native to North Dakota; he was adopted.

Well, were there wolverines in Michigan when U of Michigan took that name, based on a state nickname? The answer is somewhere between "nope" and maybe a few that went extinct 200 years ago.

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/wolves.html

We know at least two Roughriders lived in North Dakota, including the most famous.

Are we that hard up we have to adopt someone, and the cavalry he led from a different part of the United States, to base our nickname on? 

If U of Michigan had to do it all over again, would they choose Wolverines in the year 2015?   We have the advantage of being able to look back at our history, and base our choice on how our state has developed, how its history has played out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, I think TR built himself up using a gym his dad built.

I think it was all those luxury cruises his family took him on to Europe and Egypt when he was a child in the 1870's that toughened him up. 

While our ancestors were trudging across Wisconsin and Minnesota walking behind an ox and cart with nothing to their names but the clothes on their back, hoping to find a piece of ground and stake their claim, and hoping to survive their first winter in sod-based dugouts built into the riverbanks, Teddy was off cruising to Europe and Egypt on the carnival cruiselines of the 1870s....    But yep, let's name UND after him instead!   SMH

I think it was all those luxury cruises his family took him on to Europe and Egypt when he was a child in the 1870's that toughened him up. 

While our ancestors were trudging across Wisconsin and Minnesota walking behind an ox and cart with nothing to their names but the clothes on their back, hoping to find a piece of ground and stake their claim, and hoping to survive their first winter in sod-based dugouts built into the riverbanks, Teddy was off cruising to Europe and Egypt on the carnival cruiselines of the 1870s....    But yep, let's name UND after him instead!   SMH

Yeah, it's TR's fault that he was born into wealth. :silly:

What matters is what he did with his life, which is way more than most people (including myself) ever do with their short time on this planet.  But go right on blaming him for things he had no control over if it helps promote your case.

• Upvote 3

Are we that hard up we have to adopt someone, and the cavalry he led from a different part of the United States, to base our nickname on? 

If U of Michigan had to do it all over again, would they choose Wolverines in the year 2015?   We have the advantage of being able to look back at our history, and base our choice on how our state has developed, how its history has played out.

if michigan was looking to adopt a new nickname in 2015 they would hire a certain consulting group and i'm pretty sure their new nickname would be.....Maize Hawks!

100k please.

• Upvote 3

Can't wait til the Sioux name is relocated to the history books and trophy cases forever.  Then, I can change my handle and move on, also.  

i'm kind of with you on that...let the pc police wash all references of na imagery at und and the entire state away....if/when roughriders is chosen wonder how leigh and susie would react if und melted down the sitting bull statue outside of REA and made a statue of teddy on a nokota horse and put right where sitting bull used to be?

Just checking in...  has UND selected the fantastically awful "Roughriders" nickname yet?  Will a Hahvahd alum be given the task of sketching logo concepts for the midwestern hicks to fawn over?  Perhaps Ang Lee can pen a script for a short documentary on their deeper symbolism.

For all the effort given to explaining why North Dakota history supports the logic of using Roughriders--  certainly scholars of the Spanish-American war will get the obvious connection--  no one has successfully explained how the name actually does not suck royally and completely.  It is exceedingly spectacular in its mediocrity; no offense intended to any Red River alums... your name is awesome.

"But, taz, you are just whining that you can't have Fighting Sioux anymore and you only want 'North Dakota' so you and the rest of the stubborn old fart alums can continue status quo ad infinitum."

Yeeeup.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just checking in...  has UND selected the fantastically awful "Roughriders" nickname yet?  Will a Hahvahd alum be given the task of sketching logo concepts for the midwestern hicks to fawn over?  Perhaps Ang Lee can pen a script for a short documentary on their deeper symbolism.

For all the effort given to explaining why North Dakota history supports the logic of using Roughriders--  certainly scholars of the Spanish-American war will get the obvious connection--  no one has successfully explained how the name actually does not suck royally and completely.  It is exceedingly spectacular in its mediocrity; no offense intended to any Red River alums... your name is awesome.

"But, taz, you are just whining that you can't have Fighting Sioux anymore and you only want 'North Dakota' so you and the rest of the stubborn old fart alums can continue status quo ad infinitum."

Yeeeup.

Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 3

Yeeeup.

There are 7 names left.  (6 technically).  Please tell me a better name form the reaming list that you think UND should adopt as their new nickname?  We all get it.  This process has been a s#%t show.  You are not alone in your thinking.  But face reality.  UND's new nickname is one of those final 7.  It's true, a lot of good names are not one of the remaining names.  That sucks.  This is what we are stuck with.  For better or worse.  Again, tell me a better name from the 7?

• Upvote 1

There are 7 names left.  (6 technically).  Please tell me a better name form the reaming list that you think UND should adopt as their new nickname?  We all get it.  This process has been a s#%t show.  You are not alone in your thinking.  But face reality.  UND's new nickname is one of those final 7.  It's true, a lot of good names are not one of the remaining names.  That sucks.  This is what we are stuck with.  For better or worse.  Again, tell me a better name from the 7?

Fighting Hawks.  Nodaks.  North Stars.  Sundogs.  North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

A lot of people seem disappointed that the committee didn't come up with a better list of  names.   I don't think that  it is that easy to come up with a  name that someone won't be ripping.     I have yet  to hear a suggestion from anyone that a majority would agree on.   For all the people complaining,  what is this magical name that will solve all the controversy?

Yeah, it's TR's fault that he was born into wealth. :silly:

What matters is what he did with his life, which is way more than most people (including myself) ever do with their short time on this planet. But go right on blaming him for things he had no control over if it helps promote your case.

Lol. If that is what you took away from reading my post, there is no other appropriate response other than to just laugh.

The best name and option of the 7 is easily North Dakota. I fully expected that among the hundreds of names submitted that something would emerge from the pack and make sense as a new moniker for UND but for whatever reason it just didn't happen. Maybe it was in the original pack of names and was hastily removed. Of the names left, North Dakota is the best option since it doesn't tie us down to a mediocre name like Roughriders or Green Hawks and down the road if a name organically makes sense we can make the transition then....North Stars is head and shoulders above the rest but just doesn't fit unfortunately. The rest don't even quality as mediocre.

I will always support UND no matter which direction they go, but again for me, nothing here would dissuade me from remaining a Fighting Sioux and referring to UND in that manner.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

There are 7 names left. (6 technically). Please tell me a better name form the reaming list that you think UND should adopt as their new nickname? We all get it. This process has been a s#%t show. You are not alone in your thinking. But face reality. UND's new nickname is one of those final 7. It's true, a lot of good names are not one of the remaining names. That sucks. This is what we are stuck with. For better or worse. Again, tell me a better name from the 7?

I like the other 6 better.

• Downvote 1

The only name that would have a resounding majority would be ... you guessed it ... Fighting Sioux.

There is not a name that would please everyone. We can agree that some decent names were summarily dismissed for no good reason, but they would not have had an overwhelming majority support, either. However, we also agree that several/most of the semi-finalists are really bad (wonder if it's a set-up to arrive at the preselected winner)

Roughriders has pretty much been the clubhouse leader from the start (polls in the newspaper where you can vote as many time as you can click 'submit' in an evening or two in your mother's basement do not count, nor does asking a few select friends). Wish I could have come up with the ultimate replacement, but it does not exist.

The only name that would have a resounding majority would be ... you guessed it ... Fighting Sioux.

There is not a name that would please everyone. We can agree that some decent names were summarily dismissed for no good reason, but they would not have had an overwhelming majority support, either. However, we also agree that several/most of the semi-finalists are really bad (wonder if it's a set-up to arrive at the preselected winner)

Roughriders has pretty much been the clubhouse leader from the start (polls in the newspaper where you can vote as many time as you can click 'submit' in an evening or two in your mother's basement do not count, nor does asking a few select friends). Wish I could have come up with the ultimate replacement, but it does not exist.

I am ready to predict Sundogs wins.

The best name and option of the 7 is easily North Dakota. I fully expected that among the hundreds of names submitted that something would emerge from the pack and make sense as a new moniker for UND but for whatever reason it just didn't happen. Maybe it was in the original pack of names and was hastily removed. Of the names left, North Dakota is the best option since it doesn't tie us down to a mediocre name like Roughriders or Green Hawks and down the road if a name organically makes sense we can make the transition then....North Stars is head and shoulders above the rest but just doesn't fit unfortunately. The rest don't even quality as mediocre.

I will always support UND no matter which direction they go, but again for me, nothing here would dissuade me from remaining a Fighting Sioux and referring to UND in that manner.

You make a strong argument.

If Roughriders really has all that support, explain this,  Back when the marketing firm released the list of all suggestions gathered on the internet, why did "Roughriders" appear only once on the list, while others such as "Roughnecks" filled a page and a half?

Roughriders appeared more then once, the one that the committee kept was spelled roughhriders and only appeared once.

Also a person could submit a suggestion as many times as they wanted.