SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Roughriders?

RD17

So do you suggest that UND become the Peace Gardeners then?!! :)

Well....no..... Not every state has several official/unofficial nicknames that would work well as a university nickname. We've already used two. Since all the choices left are rather weak, of those 7 North Dakota or nodaks are my preferred choices.

In 1957, the legislature formally adopted Peace Garden State as the official nickname.  (North Dakota Century Code, Section 39-04-12.) 

I'm not sure how much more official you can get.

It seems every time I state a fact on here about the Roughriders myth, I get accused of being wrong, only to later prove i'm right.   I guess that's how fairy tale legends of Roughriders being from North Dakota get spread.  Bully!

A license plate slogan does not equal official state nickname.  Here's the century code you referenced:

Number plates must be of metal or other suitable material bearing the name of the state, either in full or by abbreviation, the number of the year, the slogan "Peace Garden State" and a distinctive number for assignment to each vehicle. 
  • Upvote 1

Happy to answer that.  Here's my order of preference:

0)  Fighting Sioux (had to work that in)

1)  North Dakota

2)  North Stars

3)  Nodaks

4)  Fighting Hawks

5)  Sundogs

6)  Roughriders

7)  Green Hawks

I can assure you the difference between 1) and 2) is large, and more massive between 2) and 3).  Then from 4) on it becomes a blur of apathy and indifference.

That's where I'm at.

We're not far apart.

1.(t) Fighting Hawks

North Dakota

3,     North Stars

4.     Sundogs

5.     Nodaks

6.     Teddy Bears

7.     Green Hawks

In 1957, the legislature formally adopted Peace Garden State as the official nickname. (North Dakota Century Code, Section 39-04-12.)

I'm not sure how much more official you can get.

It seems every time I state a fact on here about the Roughriders myth, I get accused of being wrong, only to later prove i'm right. I guess that's how fairy tale legends of Roughriders being from North Dakota get spread. Bully!

Haha

To Summarize:

1) One of the States Nicknames is the Roughrider State.

2)The North Dakota State flag is a copy of the Roughrider Flag.

tr1.jpg

3) This sign welcomes you to North Dakota:

6566936d92220830faebb3c256d72e64.jpg

4)Theres Statues of TR as a Roughrider in North Dakota:

307_TR_Cropped_New.jpg

5) Theres a National Park in North Dakota named after Teddy Roosevelt.

6) Teddy Roosevelt was a Sheriff for a short time in North Dakota

7) Teddy Roosevelt became the President of the United States and said if he didn't live in North Dakota he doesn't think he'd be president.

All that may be true but its not on a license plate

• Upvote 1

Haven't been checking this lately so if this has already been posted sorry. I am not at a place where I can link this but Gov. Dalrymple was on 6:30 POV on valley news and said he prefers Roughriders and North Stars. Also the Publisher of the Whapeton Daily News wrote an article about why Roughriders is the best choice. Both are online I just can't link them so if someone else can feel free. Whap paper also had a poll which Roughriders led by quite a bit of votes.

To Summarize:

1) One of the States Nicknames is the Roughrider State.

2)The North Dakota State flag is a copy of the Roughrider Flag.

tr1.jpg

3) This sign welcomes you to North Dakota:

6566936d92220830faebb3c256d72e64.jpg

4)Theres Statues of TR as a Roughrider in North Dakota:

307_TR_Cropped_New.jpg

5) Theres a National Park in North Dakota named after Teddy Roosevelt.

6) Teddy Roosevelt was a Sheriff for a short time in North Dakota

7) Teddy Roosevelt became the President of the United States and said if he didn't live in North Dakota he doesn't think he'd be president.

But...but...but...what does he have to do with North Dakota?

Quit using facts, dammit!!!

I am not sure what is going to happen on the nickname, but it seems to me that the general consensus is Roughrider is the one unless we pick no nickname. Is that feeling most people are getting?

If there was a real vote with true stakeholders, I believe Roughriders would easily win against any two other options among the seven. That includes no nickname.

However, that may not happen. We're at the mercy of the committee. Hopefully, they are staying in touch with the stakeholders.

Go Ridas!

I am not sure what is going to happen on the nickname, but it seems to me that the general consensus is Roughrider is the one unless we pick no nickname. Is that feeling most people are getting?

Consensus means nothing in a controlled election.  Don't be surprised if both of your top 2 consensus choices are eliminated next round.

• Upvote 1

Interesting comment from someone who absolutely ridiculed Stewart Milles III for being born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

It was the attitude of Stewart Mills III I had a problem with, not his wealth.  He was running around promoting himself as a "self-made man" when he was anything but.  TR didn't treat people poorer than him with contempt and distain; he did a lot to improve the lives of average, ordinary people during his 1+ term as POTUS.