SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

That's certainly another factor to consider for next season. Sometimes an incoming freshman will play much better than expected. Remember Ryan Bayda and his contribution to UND's national championship in 2000?

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I heard that VandeVelde was not coming untill the 2007-08 season? I might be thinking of someone else if not he should be able to fill some of the void.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I heard that VandeVelde was not coming untill the 2007-08 season? I might be thinking of someone else if not he should be able to fill some of the void.

VandeVelde is coming to UND this fall. Marto, Trupp, and LaPoint are the only recruits on the 07-08 recruit list.

VandeVelde is kind of a wild card. It is hard to know how he will adapt to the college game. The good thing is there is a lot of potential there. Hopefully the coaches can work their magic. We need another Ryan Bayda. He was awesome. My favorite Ryan Bayda moment had to be when he drilled the Wisconsin D-man behind the net in the final five at the Target Center. Talk about setting the tone for a game. He was great in the corners.

With all due respect to Vandevelde, Bayda was considered one of the top forward recruits in the country his freshman year, and many expected a big year from him.

Sorry, but I don't remember that much hype surrounding Bayda. As I recall, while he was one of UND's top recruits and expected to be good, his 40-point freshman season was something of a surprise. UND's championship season that year was considered a surprise.

I believe Vandevelde will have a good freshman campaign, but it will not be Oshie-like or even Duncan-like.

He started out slowly in Lincoln and built up steam. I expect Vandevelde to do the same thing at UND his freshman year. Out of the gates, I don't expect him to do much. Down the stretch, I could see him doing well for himself... 10-15 goals, 15-25 assists, that area.

I talked with a friend today that golfed over the weekend with a head coach of one of the other sports, and this coach said he was told that Toews would be back next year. I think he even said that he was told that by Toews himself, but in my eagerness to believe what I was hearing, I'm not all sure that was the case. I know it's thin, but I think this guy would know what he's talking about.

I wouldn't invest too heavily in any reports right now, positive or negative. Last week, two newspapers reported that PK would return next year, then a few days later a Boston paper indicated that it wasn't yet decided. At about the same time, a Wisconsin paper said that Skille was expected to return for his sophomore year, then the next day another newspaper said it was still unclear.

This latest note on Toews is encouraging, but it could change with the next day's news. Also, Hockeys Future isn't necessarily the most reliable source. Their source for the Toews comment may well have been INCH's story about Toews.

I wouldn't invest too heavily in any reports right now, positive or negative. Last week, two newspapers reported that PK would return next year, then a few days later a Boston paper indicated that it wasn't yet decided. At about the same time, a Wisconsin paper said that Skille was expected to return for his sophomore year, then the next day another newspaper said it was still unclear.

This latest note on Toews is encouraging, but it could change with the next day's news. Also, Hockeys Future isn't necessarily the most reliable source. Their source for the Toews comment may well have been INCH's story about Toews.

Hockeysfuture is more reliable than INCH... unless they use INCH's sources.

Anyways, I agree, jk. Although I'd say that there is a better than 50% chance that Toews returns to UND, we're not out of the woods yet.

I agree with you jk, though this is very encouraging, it still isn't for sure. I really have a lot of respect for Jonathan Toews, he sure knows how to handle himself both on & off the ice. If Jonathan does decide to play for the Fighting Sioux this season, it would certainly give this team a huge boost.

Not really up to him..........if Chicago wants him, he will sign.

Well, actually, it does come down to Toews. If Toews doesn't sign on the dotted line or hire an agent, or participate in training camp, then it doesn't matter what Chicago wants. :angry:

NOOOOOOOO, Think positive. Kessel sign, Yes... Toews and Oshie no.

dont worry about oshie until next year, i actually think he could be (not likely) a three year player...hes listed at 5th at his position on the st. louis depth chart.

and as for "if chicago wants him, he will sign" thats not true...Jack Johnson, they are trying to get these guys to sign for nhl play, its not slavery...sometimes the players(top ranked ones) say no, and they are wanted next year again

dont worry about oshie until next year, i actually think he could be (not likely) a three year player...hes listed at 5th at his position on the st. louis depth chart.

and as for "if chicago wants him, he will sign" thats not true...Jack Johnson, they are trying to get these guys to sign for nhl play, its not slavery...sometimes the players(top ranked ones) say no, and they are wanted next year again

Yes, Jack Johnson said "no", hardly ever happens though. Leopold is the only other player that comes to mind. Fact is, 99% of the players, will take the money if offered. Kessel, Toews, and Oshie included.

Yes, Jack Johnson said "no", hardly ever happens though. Leopold is the only other player that comes to mind. Fact is, 99% of the players, will take the money if offered. Kessel, Toews, and Oshie included.

Usually true, Notes, but I believe Toews has been offered the bucks, but, he'd rather stay in college than play in the AHL. Where he ends up this fall likely depends on how he feels about his chances of playing with the Blackhawks this year. His fellow WJC teammates with Chicago may have a lot to do with whether he signs or not.