SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

With about $6 million left in cap space and Ruutu still unsigned, the Hawks may allow first-round draft pick Jonathan Toews to return to the University of North Dakota this season rather than sign him.

Hallelujah!! Hallelujah, hallelujah... ;)

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it that on sportscenter, Toews said he would go back to school for one more year and take it from there. I have no link or confirmation, but a poster on another site said they saw it on sportscenter(i'm assuming the canadian one, the US one would never put hockey on theirs)

Rumor has it that on sportscenter, Toews said he would go back to school for one more year and take it from there. I have no link or confirmation, but a poster on another site said they saw it on sportscenter(i'm assuming the canadian one, the US one would never put hockey on theirs)

man I hope you're right! :lol: What could it hurt?? PLUS - he's got 5000+ girls to pick from on campus!...it's a WIN-WIN situation!! ;)

It was the Canadian Sportscenter. ;) He is getting alot of coverage at the tournament and I will be very surprised if he doesn't have a C or A on his chest for the Worlds.

It is getting more official...

I brought up the Phil Kessel situation, where there first were reports that he was staying, then more that he may be going, and back, and forth and so on. Toews said "There's no turning back now," about his decision to return. It's final.

From the Sioux Hockey Extra blog.

"Word of Berry's departure comes a day after standout Jonathan Toews turned down an $875,000 offer from the Chicago Blackhawks to return for his sophomore year at UND."

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Wow, he got offered the max and turned it down. I am very happy and hope it works out for the best.

Wow, he got offered the max and turned it down. I am very happy and hope it works out for the best.

Actually, it's kind of funny. Kessel goes into last year as the consensus #1 pick. He goes to the Gophers and drops to #5. Toews goes in as a top 10 pick, goes to the Sioux and get drafted at #3. Toews gets offered the max to play in the NHL and turns it down so he can play with the Sioux again. Kessel is begging the Bruins to offer him a couple bags of popcorn to get out of Dinkytown and they are still negotiating.

It's really interesting the different character of players the two programs are recruiting. A few years ago it was Zach Parise vs. Thomas Vanek. Now it's Jonathan Toews vs. Phil Kessel.

Parise and Toews.....very articulate, lots of character, model citizens, excellent students, great teammates, great hockey players, etc, etc.

Vanek and Kessel.....hmm, well, they're very good hockey players. :-)

Actually, it's kind of funny. Kessel goes into last year as the consensus #1 pick. He goes to the Gophers and drops to #5. Toews goes in as a top 10 pick, goes to the Sioux and get drafted at #3. Toews gets offered the max to play in the NHL and turns it down so he can play with the Sioux again. Kessel is begging the Bruins to offer him a couple bags of popcorn to get out of Dinkytown and they are still negotiating.

It's really interesting the different character of players the two programs are recruiting. A few years ago it was Zach Parise vs. Thomas Vanek. Now it's Jonathan Toews vs. Phil Kessel.

Parise and Toews.....very articulate, lots of character, model citizens, excellent students, great teammates, great hockey players, etc, etc.

Lest we forget about TJ

;) Just when the trolls were sleeping...

I read the topic heading for this post, and it specifically talks about news about Toews. Now, why do we have so much Gopher crap on this thread? I also see that there's a specific thread about Kessel where Vanek can be discussed along with the other Gopher losers. I would much rather discuss about Toews declining an $875,000 offer to sign with the Chicago Blackhawks to return to UND for his sophomore year then to chat about Kessel. He's overrated and doesn't deserve this much attention. Let's focus on UND hockey here, shall we?

We've got Toews and Oshie back, along with Kozek, Fabian, Porter, Lamoureux, Duncan, Lee, Chorney, Radke, Finley, Watkins, Kaip, Miller and a great incoming freshman class. UND is going to be solid this year, and it should be a very exciting season. Who cares about the Gopher rodents, they're only second glass to UND afterall.

I read the topic heading for this post, and it specifically talks about news about Toews. Now, why do we have so much Gopher crap on this thread? I also see that there's a specific thread about Kessel where Vanek can be discussed along with the other Gopher losers. I would much rather discuss about Toews declining an $875,000 offer to sign with the Chicago Blackhawks to return to UND for his sophomore year then to chat about Kessel. He's overrated and doesn't deserve this much attention. Let's focus on UND hockey here, shall we?

You're new here, aren't you? :lol:;)

I sure Hope we win a National Title with Toews coming back - He deserves one BIG Time now

Do you think the ones who helped win National Titles are the most revered & admired former Sioux players ?

I sure Hope we win a National Title with Toews coming back - He deserves one BIG Time now

Do you think the ones who helped win National Titles are the most revered & admired former Sioux players ?

Yup, Goren & Commadore come to mind...

Yes and no (fairly or unfairly imho). Some of the Vikings from the 60's and 70's that haven't made the HOF come to mind. That Mick Tingelhoff isn't in is a disgrace, among others, and many blame the Vikings never winning a SB as an underlying reason.

That Zach Parise never won a NC at UND shouldn't detract from what he meant to UND fans. While it's a point Gopher fans like to toss out on occasion, if I were a Sioux fan I wouldn't necessarily (and no I don't presume to speak for any of you) hold ZP with any less regard than _______ who helped hang a banner.