SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

A class act, but it doesn't sound like we'll be seeing him as a Junior... :blush:

That is more than a given.....we are very fortunate to see him as a sophmore.....I had my doubts he would be back but was more than happy to be wrong.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've gotta love stuff like this:

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3383

"You got a lot of questions at the Draft about possibly playing junior hockey this season if you didn't go pro, but it was clear to me from your answers that returning to North Dakota was always your first option. What do you like most about the program?

It's everything. If I wasn't going to play in the NHL, I wanted to be back where I was last year. The way I played as the season went on, my teammates ... just the whole atmosphere on and off the ice and the comfort level I had last year was great. It's easy to focus and concentrate on hockey when everything else is set in place like that. Like I said, I think this year will be perfect to prepare for the following year at the next level."

i think its obvious toews likes UND a lot! i think that this would help get david toews and possibly kelsey tessier too...you gotta love some of the family history at UND.

wow, oh yeah, umm, i am about 99.9%, no, wait, 100% sure that I was the one who said all along that Toews was comin back, regardless. And pretty sure all of you guys who are all breathing a sigh of relief now that he is for sure coming back, were, at the time, completely denouncing any possibility of him coming back. so, yeah, thanks.

wow, oh yeah, umm, i am about 99.9%, no, wait, 100% sure that I was the one who said all along that Toews was comin back, regardless. And pretty sure all of you guys who are all breathing a sigh of relief now that he is for sure coming back, were, at the time, completely denouncing any possibility of him coming back. so, yeah, thanks.

Is this you patting yourself on the back? :blush::lol:

WOW.....................you are a genious

You truely are the wind beneath my wings.

Everyone on campus needs to show Jonathan a ton of appreciation this season. After all, could any of us have walked away from close to $1M dollars at barely 18 years of age.

i did it several times. everyone kept wanting to sign me to play pro lacrosse, but i figured i'd rather just work for the rest of my life. :blush:

Could you tell us what you said to Toews that convinced him to return to UND?

cuz like yeah, wow, i'd really like to know. You dah person!

Everyone on campus needs to show Jonathan a ton of appreciation this season. After all, could any of us have walked away from close to $1M dollars at barely 18 years of age.

To clarify then, there's no question the Blackhawks strongly considered signing you. But they never did offer you a contract.

That's right.

I know what you are saying though, no question that he would have gotten rookie max if an offer had been made.

Sun's gotta shine on a dogs a$$ some of the time. :lol::blush:

Sun's gotta shine on a dogs a$$ some of the time. :lol::blush:

If I were UNDintheNHL, I would be careful about gloating too much. It seems to me they were one of the people who were in denial about Stafford, Zajac, Spirko, Smaby, and Parise leaving. I also remember that they were one of the people that were upset about everyone else talking about early departures. I apologize in advance if you were not one of those, but I still wouldn't break my arm patting myself on the back over what you consider to be some kind of "profound revelation".

I know what you are saying though, no question that he would have gotten rookie max if an offer had been made.

He signaled to the Hawks early that he wasn't going to sign anyway, unless he was virtually guaranteed a spot in Chicago. In any event, he's back for another year on UND's dime, and maybe a trip to St. Louis in the spring. :blush:

He signaled to the Hawks early that he wasn't going to sign anyway, unless he was virtually guaranteed a spot in Chicago. In any event, he's back for another year on UND's dime, and maybe a trip to St. Louis in the spring. :blush:

Of course the #3 pick in the draft would have been offered the rookie max..........the Hawks would not guarantee that he would spend the entire season in the NHL. You do NOT make the same money playing in AHL as you do in the NHL.

The Hawks knew he would not sign a contract if there was a possability of him playing in the AHL, so none was offered............at least Chicago was up front with him.

haha, oh its all good. yeah i was one of those people upset about all the early departures. and, lol, the statement i made was completely sarcastic. i mean, yes, it was true, but LEAVING it was with a sarcastic tone haha. it was just nice to see SOMEONE stay, like everyone else was. lol i assume alot of the comments about mine were sarcastic lol. anyways, i am just as glad as everyone else to know that he is comin back. but, its bittersweet in a way, for me. i got to see him play last year, but not this year, as i am now in NC. so, please, all of you in GF, please gloat your hearts out about that haha

• 1 month later...

I was unable to find it on the archives of the Herald, so I will post it myself-

Toews, a class act, makes a classy choice

McVille, N.D.- First of all, I have to say I'm a huge fighting UND Fighting Sioux fan. I follow and cheer with a passion for the football, basketball, and hockey teams.

I just would like to commend Jonathan Toews on his decision to return to UND for his sophomore season. When I heard this news (which I'd been waiting to hear for some time), I was excited, proud, and very impressed. It takes quite a bit of maturity and composure to turn down a dream of going to the NHL to keep improving your skills at a lower level. I am almost 16 and could not imagine trying to make a decision like that.

I have heard only good things about Toews, not only about his hockey skills, but also about him as a person. I wish all athletes were more like him. And his only being 18 make it even more impressive.

I hope he doesn't regret his decision and enjoys his time at a great university. I look forward to watching him and his teammates this season and wish them the best of luck in their trek for a national Championship.

Katie Schmitt

I was unable to find it on the archives of the Herald, so I will post it myself-

Toews, a class act, makes a classy choice

McVille, N.D.- First of all, I have to say I'm a huge fighting UND Fighting Sioux fan. I follow and cheer with a passion for the football, basketball, and hockey teams.

I just would like to commend Jonathan Toews on his decision to return to UND for his sophomore season. When I heard this news (which I'd been waiting to hear for some time), I was excited, proud, and very impressed. It takes quite a bit of maturity and composure to turn down a dream of going to the NHL to keep improving your skills at a lower level. I am almost 16 and could not imagine trying to make a decision like that.

I have heard only good things about Toews, not only about his hockey skills, but also about him as a person. I wish all athletes were more like him. And his only being 18 make it even more impressive.

I hope he doesn't regret his decision and enjoys his time at a great university. I look forward to watching him and his teammates this season and wish them the best of luck in their trek for a national Championship.

Katie Schmitt

Wow, well said for a 15 year old. PCM, watch out she may be after your sudo-reportership... :love::D

Over the summer I caddied for Trent Yawney and we did a lot of talking about JT. They loved his skill and his play, but Trent was most excited about his character. He said that was one of the main reasons they nabbed him and not some goopher whose name we will all forget in a couple years. The Blackhawks as we all know are struggling right now, and they looked at JT as not only a new face of the team, but someone who on and off the ice could possibly bring fans back into the UC