SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

There's some interesting news about Chicago's situation and Jonathan Toews in this story from the Chicago Tribune. It sounds as if we'll be hearing about his future at UND sooner rather than later.

"We're kind of caught in a situation where we want to develop our kids, but we don't want to bury them in the minors because of long-term contracts of (veterans)," Tallon said.

The flip side of that is unless Tallon can add from the remaining free agents available

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody explain something to me? It is my understanding that NHL teams are inviting draftees in for "prospect" camps. That would seem to be backed-up by this:

Thursday was the first on-ice appearance for the Hawks first-round draft pick, Jonathan Toews. When camp ends next week, the Hawks and Toews will determine his immediate future.

What confuses me is this statement:

A decision must be made soon because Toews can't attend camp without a contract.

Can somebody explain something to me? It is my understanding that NHL teams are inviting draftees in for "prospect" camps. That would seem to be backed-up by this:

Is this a different camp? He obviously can attend the prospects camp without signing, isn't that what tons of college and Jr hockey players do? If he does sign I don't understand the hurry , I thought NHL camps don't start until late August or September?

thanks for the article PCM...i must say that im starting to like toews a lot because of all the sweet talking of UND... however i do realize his departure is very likely, but if he stays next year he'll for sure be my favorite player.

BTW, was he talking about being captain of the sioux as a sophmore?? that was the sentence that messed me up.

thanks for the article PCM...i must say that im starting to like toews a lot because of all the sweet talking of UND... however i do realize his departure is very likely, but if he stays next year he'll for sure be my favorite player.

BTW, was he talking about being captain of the sioux as a sophmore?? that was the sentence that messed me up.

He would not be captain. I think Porter will be captain. Although it probably doesn't matter as the chances are very likely he will be wearing a different Indian Head logo next year.

Chicago seems to be totally complacent about signing any free agents, so it seems that they will have no choice but to sign and play 18-20 year olds just to have a team. Maybe by the time these youngsters develop and reach free agency, the Blackhawks may be back in the mix, but will they spend the bucks to keep the players they've developed? Seems little chance that Toews won't be centering a Blackhawk line this fall.

Edit: looks like the finally signed one free agent center, Arkhipov.

Chicago seems to be totally complacent about signing any free agents, so it seems that they will have no choice but to sign and play 18-20 year olds just to have a team.

Edit: looks like the finally signed one free agent center, Arkhipov.

Agreed. As much as I wish Jonathan success in the NHL, hopefully after another year at UND, I feel bad that he got picked up by such a worthless organization. With any luck, he'll get traded at some point to a team that actually knows what's going on, or the Blackhawks finally change hands ... fat chance. :ohmy:

Hey, PCM, I think you've been associating with too many of those west coast tree hugging hippies lately :lol: Northwest coast to be specific.

I was hoping that Daryl Hannah might come sit in my tree. :ohmy:

Agreed. As much as I wish Jonathan success in the NHL, hopefully after another year at UND, I feel bad that he got picked up by such a worthless organization. With any luck, he'll get traded at some point to a team that actually knows what's going on, or the Blackhawks finally change hands ... fat chance. :ohmy:

Your definately right Chicago is S#!tty and I would not want to play for the Hawks if I was an up and coming star in the NHL.

If Toews does sign I would think Evan Trupp would be on his way to UND this fall?

I can't see us finding anyone worthy of playing for the Sioux this season via the recruiting trail since everyone is probably pretty much picked through the diamond in the rough has probably already been picked up.

Your definately right Chicago is S#!tty and I would not want to play for the Hawks if I was an up and coming star in the NHL.

If Toews does sign I would think Evan Trupp would be on his way to UND this fall?

I can't see us finding anyone worthy of playing for the Sioux this season via the recruiting trail since everyone is probably pretty much picked through the diamond in the rough has probably already been picked up.

I think Trupp's shoulder injury complicates things. Last I remember he had a pretty serious shoulder injury.

This may help explain a little further Toews at the prospect camp...

Chicago Blackhawk notes/Daily Herald

Neither player can spend more than 48 hours in training camp or they lose college eligibility. Tallon said the decision would be made soon whether to sign both or let them play another year in college.

The Hawks may need Toews to play right away if Tallon can

Didn't know the 48 hours rule. That makes Saturday's practice (or Friday's?) the last day for Toews, Skille, and Dowell, unless they are signed.

so that would mean that we will hear the news on toews real soon...im still optomistic he stays at UND, because i would doubt if they would want him to play NHL this early

so that would mean that we will hear the news on toews real soon...im still optomistic he stays at UND, because i would doubt if they would want him to play NHL this early

Whatever the decision is, I think Sioux fans need closure on it. Either way it would be nice to know.

All I can say is looking at the Hawks roster and the fact they are not signing any free agents, Boy they are going to be Horrible. They should be a lock for the 1st pick in next years draft. with the exception of a few players they are an AHL team playing in the NHL. Its scary because it looks like they need Toews just to fill out their roster.

All I can say is looking at the Hawks roster and the fact they are not signing any free agents, Boy they are going to be Horrible. They should be a lock for the 1st pick in next years draft. with the exception of a few players they are an AHL team playing in the NHL. Its scary because it looks like they need Toews just to fill out their roster.

i am going to make a bold but realistic prediction...toews stays four years and becomes a free agent