SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

Yes and no (fairly or unfairly imho). Some of the Vikings from the 60's and 70's that haven't made the HOF come to mind. That Mick Tingelhoff isn't in is a disgrace, among others, and many blame the Vikings never winning a SB as an underlying reason.

That Zach Parise never won a NC at UND shouldn't detract from what he meant to UND fans. While it's a point Gopher fans like to toss out on occasion, if I were a Sioux fan I wouldn't necessarily (and no I don't presume to speak for any of you) hold ZP with any less regard than _______ who helped hang a banner.

If "on occasion" is "whenever Vanek is mentioned" then you're absolutely correct. ???

(To be fair, my statement doesn't really hold water on SS.com. It's more true for USCHO.com and maybe GPL)

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurray!!! Straight from the horse's mouth! He just wants to be a college kid for awhile and have fun!! I think it's great that he has the maturity to recognize that there are some experiences more important than money. And kudos to his parents for raising such a smart kid!

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=135206

Amen to that. Very refreshing to hear. I hope he is rewarded with a great season. This news gives some spark to what has been a tough offseason. He will be awesome next year!!

It is refreshing to hear. While I would never begrudge anyone that chooses to leave/skip college for an opportunity to play in the NHL, it's great when players as talented as Toews stay in college - even if at the expense of the Gophers. ???

It is refreshing to hear. While I would never begrudge anyone that chooses to leave/skip college for an opportunity to play in the NHL, it's great when players as talented as Toews stay in college - even if at the expense of the Gophers. ???

I think the Sioux are going to have a great season again, No predictions but with leadership from a young guy like Toews I do not see how they can't go out and play their butts off.

I think the Sioux are going to have a great season again, No predictions but with leadership from a young guy like Toews I do not see how they can't go out and play their butts off.

No doubt the team will play hard. All Sioux teams do. If some of the new guys can have an impact and the returning players can step it up a notch or two then it may be a good season. There is a lot of talent and more importantly experience to replace.

Toews seems like a pretty bright kid. He turned down a big chunk of money to play another year so he could develop the way he feels best. He obviously has a ton of confidence in his teammates and coaching staff. He must see the Sioux fairing very well this next season. Things are looking good!

I agree Dar & (Oshie is in a league of his own) what is the record for goals & assists (UND & WCHA) I think Oshie has the ability to crush it ???

& I will miss Sparky alot - But Duncan will be the guy I watch & admire in Sparkys absense & I think we have only seen Duncan's & Toews offensive abilty begin to blossom last year

Goaltending is what makes or breaks most seasons (? ? ?) ;)

It should be another FUN year

The Guy who needs a Break out (exceptional) Year is Lee - If he gets hot & confident ...watch out WCHA ;)

I agree Dar & (Oshie is in a league of his own) what is the record for goals & assists (UND & WCHA) I think Oshie has the ability to crush it ???

that would be tony herkac(unless your thinking of something else)...i am pretty sure he has the record for goals and assists(and therefore points) for UND, wcha, and ncaa with something like 46 g 70 a and 116 points(i know they add up to 116) in one season

and no...oshie wont beat that...nobody will

I remember that now & Johnson was not far behind

You young guys there has not been many even close to Joyce & Hrkac & Johnson (as far as scoring) I still think Oshie is in that league - sorry but Panzer - Bo & Parise even Blake - were close --- Toews could do it, but I'd bet on Oshie 1st

I have been watching UND hockey for over 30 years and that line, in my opinion, is still the best line that UND has ever had play together, and probably the best line of all time in NCAA history. Their numbers certainly back that up. Tony H. was simply magic with the puck and Joyce was a great finisher. Johnson, if I remember right, had better statistics in 87-88 than her did in 86-87. When you saw some of the plays they made, as my dad would say, "Uff da!" ???

I remember that now & Johnson was not far behind

You young guys there has not been many even close to Joyce & Hrkac & Johnson (as far as scoring) I still think Oshie is in that league - sorry but Panzer - Bo & Parise even Blake - were close --- Toews could do it, but I'd bet on Oshie 1st

Ok I'm sorry but I'm not willing to say that Oshie is close to Joyce, Johnson, or Hrkac. Those guys were legends at UND. Put up the most points in NCAA history. I love Oshie, but come on now, he had 43 points last year. Those guys put up close to, or over 100 points. Let's wait to declare Oshie in that same class(by the way, for my money I would say Toews will be the closest, point wise, to those, but he's still nowhere near them for me yet).

Steve Johnson led the NCAA in scoring in 87-88 (without the help of Tony or Bobby Joyce). Their line in 1987 was by far the most dominating line for the Sioux, since I started watching Sioux hockey in 1961. That includes a lot of great ones, but they are the standard to be measured by. I also know that Brent Bobyck played on the Hrkac Circus line at the end of that 1987 Championship season, but Johnson did start out there and was on the pp with those guys also.

something I remember & have not seen since - was how Hrkac could have the puck behind the net & it just froze opponents & he was usually shadowed or double teamed - it was like, if we go after him, it was a sure assist - & if they left him alone, it was too ;) You get spoiled seeing a power play like that

I wonder if they show the young guns today those films ? ???

Don't see this posted here and I apologize if it was and I've missed it... Saw this on another board...

Associated Press

8/2/2006 6:33:38 PM

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - Jonathan Toews, the No. 3 pick in the NHL draft, will return to the University of North Dakota for his sophomore season instead of joining the Chicago Blackhawks.

"A huge part of my future," Toews said Wednesday of his decision to go back to school. "It's definitely going to be a blast and something I don't want to miss out on."

Toews turned down a $935,000 US offer from Chicago.

The six-foot-one, 195-pound Winnipeg native said money had nothing to do with his decision to come back to North Dakota, which has lost five players and an assistant coach to the professional ranks this off-season.

"That sort of thing can wait," he said.

Toews scored 22 goals and added 17 assists as a 17-year-old freshman. He was chosen as the most outstanding player at the NCAA West Regional. The centre is also a candidate to be the captain of Team Canada in the 2007 World Junior Championship.

"It wasn't do or die for (the Blackhawks)," Toews said. "They understood that I knew better what was best for me."

something I remember & have not seen since - was how Hrkac could have the puck behind the net & it just froze opponents & he was usually shadowed or double teamed - it was like, if we go after him, it was a sure assist - & if they left him alone, it was too ;) You get spoiled seeing a power play like that

I wonder if they show the young guns today those films ? ???

I believe the only film they are required to see is Arch and Eades fighting Wisconsin in their own beer garden. Maybe Slapshot too......

I haven't checked on this web site for a while, taking a summer vacation. My heart went to my throat when I read on ESPN bottom line that Blackhawks first round pick...... will return. Couldn't have that scrolled quicker? Pretty damn scary. Under two months until the season starts. Go Sioux!

You've gotta love stuff like this:

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3383

"You got a lot of questions at the Draft about possibly playing junior hockey this season if you didn't go pro, but it was clear to me from your answers that returning to North Dakota was always your first option. What do you like most about the program?

It's everything. If I wasn't going to play in the NHL, I wanted to be back where I was last year. The way I played as the season went on, my teammates ... just the whole atmosphere on and off the ice and the comfort level I had last year was great. It's easy to focus and concentrate on hockey when everything else is set in place like that. Like I said, I think this year will be perfect to prepare for the following year at the next level."

You've gotta love stuff like this:

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3383

"You got a lot of questions at the Draft about possibly playing junior hockey this season if you didn't go pro, but it was clear to me from your answers that returning to North Dakota was always your first option. What do you like most about the program?

It's everything. If I wasn't going to play in the NHL, I wanted to be back where I was last year. The way I played as the season went on, my teammates ... just the whole atmosphere on and off the ice and the comfort level I had last year was great. It's easy to focus and concentrate on hockey when everything else is set in place like that. Like I said, I think this year will be perfect to prepare for the following year at the next level."

A class act, but it doesn't sound like we'll be seeing him as a Junior... :blush: