SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

Since the Wild are not coming here to play next year lets bring the Blackhawks in and have them play the Sioux. Then they will see if were going to struggle. It would probably be an even game if we had Toews.

I guess they would rather have him Struggle on the worst team in the NHL that would be a great confidence booster.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an article on the NHL draft in the new ESPN the Magazine that showed up in my mailbox yesterday. (Mario Williams cover) The writer follows the Blue Jackets through the combine to the draft. It's a must read and worth the $4.99 if you can't find it online. The article focuses on EJ, Kessel, and Brassard but Toews is mentioned numerous times. The writer kind of turns it into a Kessel-bash for most of the article. He paints him as a malcontent who's lazy and doesn't get along with teammates based on the Blue Jackets interviews. A very interesting read into what the players go through during those couple of weeks until draft.

:lol:

Emphasis is mine. :D

He's still playing in the WCHA, against some of the best talent in college hockey. He'll still have highly talented teammates, even if not quite as many as last season. I don't see how, if UND was to lose more games, how this would be a worse situation for JT than if the Sioux won a few more games. Could be more character building. Certainly get him ready for Chicago!

There's an article on the NHL draft in the new ESPN the Magazine that showed up in my mailbox yesterday. (Mario Williams cover) The writer follows the Blue Jackets through the combine to the draft. It's a must read and worth the $4.99 if you can't find it online. The article focuses on EJ, Kessel, and Brassard but Toews is mentioned numerous times. The writer kind of turns it into a Kessel-bash for most of the article. He paints him as a malcontent who's lazy and doesn't get along with teammates based on the Blue Jackets interviews. A very interesting read into what the players go through during those couple of weeks until draft.

Well at least the article could have told us something we didn't already know about Kasshoel. :lol::D

Seriously, I am going to have to pick that issue up. Sounds like a good read.

Nice to read about his character flaws but bottom line, if Kessel returns to Mn, they'll be extremely difficult to de-throne them as WCHA Champs and a #1 seed in the NCAAs. We may need to put up with all their hype until someone like Mercyhurst ousts them in the first round.

If Toews would stay, the Sioux would still have four 1st Round Draft Picks and two 2nd round draft picks in their lineup, so the talent is there. They just need to have the players keep progressing and they should be fine.

Nice to read about his character flaws but bottom line, if Kessel returns to Mn, they'll be extremely difficult to de-throne them as WCHA Champs and a #1 seed in the NCAAs. We may need to put up with all their hype until someone like Mercyhurst ousts them in the first round.

We all know what happened with the number one seed. Thud!!!

At least the Bruins are on local TV... :D

A good point. But then again, only the Bruins would trade away their top talent for nobodies. I don't know if the Blackhawks would do that because, last time I checked, they didn't have any top end talent to trade.

I read about this article on USCHO lastnight. They definatly do not paint a good picture of Kessel. See post #334 Here's basically a copy of the article...

Another thing, about people saying that we aren't going to be very good this season or whatever, what we they thinking at the beginning of last season? I wasn't on here then, but I'd have to guess that with two seniors and 13 incoming freshman not all the thoughts were Frozen Four... what's on paper and what really happens are two totally different things. I say send Toews back for another year!

I don't understand Tallon's logic. Is his objective to have Toews play for a team on which he's unlikely to struggle? If so, how does he plan to arrange that?

Last season, the Norfolk Admirals finished third in their division with a 43-29-4-4 record. They made the playoffs and were then swept without a win in the first round. In other words, there's no guarantee that going to Norfolk wouldn't be just as bad, if not worse, than going back to UND.

Where would Toews be more likely to struggle? On a different team with a different coach in different system in a different city playing different competition? Or at UND with a familiar coach, familar system, familar surroundings and familiar teammates?

If I were Tallon, I'd want to see if Toews could go back to UND and be the difference between a team expected to struggle team and a team that experiences success.

I know I'm a homer and everything, but I don't even accept the premise that UND will be worse in the upcoming year. Sure they lose three of their top six forwards (assuming Toews returns), but what college team doesn't routinely have that turnover? No disrespect to Stafford, Zajac, Spirko, Prpich, Smaby and Parise, who have meant a ton to the program, but college programs march on with a different team every year. I'll take my chances with the group in the Sioux jerseys again this year.

It'll never happen because money talks, but the more I read and hear about the current state of affairs and unorthodox decision makers in the Blackhawks organization, the more I'd (selfishly) like to see JT stay 4 yrs, become a free agent, and solidify his future with a better organization than to subject himself to years of mismanagement struggles. His future in the NHL could certainly be jeopardized with guys like Tallon calling the shots. His parents seem to have provided exceptional guidance so far in his career. Hope that will continue as he prepares for the next level.

I know I'm a homer and everything, but I don't even accept the premise that UND will be worse in the upcoming year.

Nor do I. Despite losing some talented players, there remains an excellent core group around which to build, not to mention some good incoming freshmen. As you stated, every team goes through rebuilding to one degree or another at the start of each season.

If Tallon actually believed what he said about UND, then I don't understand his reasoning. He appears to be saying that it's too soon to throw Toews into the NHL. Therefore, the question becomes whether Toews is better off at UND or at Norfolk.

If Norfolk were a perennial AHL playoff team, it would probably be easier for Toews to adapt. But it isn't that type of team. Therefore, the idea that Toews would be more likely to struggle at UND than he would at Norfolk doesn't make much sense to me.

Nor do I. Despite losing some talented players, there remains an excellent core group around which to build, not to mention some good incoming freshmen. As you stated, every team goes through rebuilding to one degree or another at the start of each season.

If Tallon actually believed what he said about UND, then I don't understand his reasoning. He appears to be saying that it's too soon to throw Toews into the NHL. Therefore, the question becomes whether Toews is better off at UND or at Norfolk.

If Norfolk were a perennial AHL playoff team, it would probably be easier for Toews to adapt. But it isn't that type of team. Therefore, the idea that Toews would be more likely to struggle at UND than he would at Norfolk doesn't make much sense to me.

Teams like UND/UM/UW don't plan on off years. Anything less than the Frozen Four is a disappointment if I'm a fan of any of those three heavyweights.

I don't buy any of the talk. Toews is going to develop at either Norfolk or UND just fine. The question is simply whether Chicago wants to start his clock towards free agency. I still think Toews (and Kessel) are good enough to be top six forwards on their NHL teams and will neither will ever play in the AHL.

It just appears that some of these NHL guys have no clue when it comes to the NCAA Division one hockey.

The Sioux are like the perennial powerhouse in the NCAA and the WCHA.

It just appears that some of these NHL guys have no clue when it comes to the NCAA Division one hockey.

The Sioux are like the perennial powerhouse in the NCAA and the WCHA.

i think what he is trying to do is make norfolk sound better than it is and make toews shy away from UND. he knows that UND has great hockey, he might be a dumba$$ but he's not an idiot :D:lol:

I read about this article on USCHO lastnight. They definatly do not paint a good picture of Kessel. See post #334 Here's basically a copy of the article...

Another thing, about people saying that we aren't going to be very good this season or whatever, what we they thinking at the beginning of last season? I wasn't on here then, but I'd have to guess that with two seniors and 13 incoming freshman not all the thoughts were Frozen Four... what's on paper and what really happens are two totally different things. I say send Toews back for another year!

Gopher fans will think were really picking on PK if they look into Boyds background. Bottom line is they ask tough questions to all the players. They play all them psychological games.