SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

I think he are going to lose Toews. I hate to say it, but it might be a long season for the boys in green and white.

That will be just like it, the Goofs will keep Kessel and Johnson and we will lose Toews. Come on, can't at least one guy on the fence stay?:crazy:?//

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

UND MEN'S HOCKEY: Still thinkingToews mulls NHL decision

He is a bright kid and he has to realize that with the players that Chicago has picked up he would see alot more of Norfolk if he does sign. If he comes back to UND and puts up the big numbers he would likely be in a better position to step directly into the Hawks lineup at the end of the NCAA season. The bad news as we already knew is that Chicago is one of those teams that never lets their recruits properly develop which has hurt players like Bell and Daze in the long run.

I think he are going to lose Toews. I hate to say it, but it might be a long season for the boys in green and white.

everybody keeps saying that UND is going to be suffering because everybody is focusing on the losses and not looking at whos staying and whos coming in. UND will still be one of the most talented teams even with the losses of 5-7 players to pros.

BTW... so it could be early august when we hear if toews stays?? that sucks (since canada camp is late july)

everybody keeps saying that UND is going to be suffering because everybody is focusing on the losses and not looking at whos staying and whos coming in. UND will still be one of the most talented teams even with the losses of 5-7 players to pros.

BTW... so it could be early august when we hear if toews stays?? that sucks (since canada camp is late july)

If we lose Toews, put 4 lines together and take a look at it. It will be very difficult to overcome that many defections. The depth just will not be there.

Wasn't Duncan Keith the guy that left Michigan State? Don't know if I like Toews asking his advice because I don't think his college experience is the same as Toews'.

Duncan Keith would also be a perfect example of why you shouldn't try and rush things.

If we lose Toews, put 4 lines together and take a look at it. It will be very difficult to overcome that many defections. The depth just will not be there.

there are still plenty of guys to step up on forward...duncan, oshie, fabian, kozek, watkins...and i am confident that dajac and forney will kick ace. i am also optomistic of bishop and vandy too.

im not saying that if toews leaves that this team will be better than the team would have been with all of the players staying that left...that would be crazy, if everyone would have stayed i would have put UND at a near guarantee to win it all... thats not the case ever, but this team will certainly be in the running, im confident in that.

I tend to agree. While the loss of Toews would be painful, I think we still have a pretty solid array of players on the roster, and new guys on deck, to at least make a run for the WCHA. Toews will make the decision he deems appropriate for him, and that's the way it will be.

Nothing like giving zero credit to our returning and incoming players. Look at the roster, we still have some fire power there. We will be fine defensively, as for offense, like I said before, I look for Watkins and Kozek to have break out years. Oshie, Porter, Duncan, Kaip, Fabian, Foyt. Plus we do have some talent coming in, one player doesn't "make" or "break" depth as far as I'm concerened. The question is do the incoming players have the ability to make an impact ? Would the loss of Toews hurt, certainly, is it insurmountable, I don't think so, look back to last year 13 freshmen and they managed to pull off a damn good season.

The other factor is that players have been known to develop and have breakout years from one season to the next. I think the Sioux have several players with that type of potential. All is not lost, even if Toews leaves.

Prospect camps are different from training camps in that college players are allowed to attend prospect camps if they pay their own way. With, Training Camps, players are paid by the team and you must be under contract to attend them, hence college players would lose eligibility.

The other factor is that players have been known to develop and have breakout years from one season to the next. I think the Sioux have several players with that type of potential. All is not lost, even if Toews leaves.

With that being said, who is most likely to have a break-out year? I think that Kaip certainly showed improvement late in the year and Porter has alway been one that looks to be a playmaker but due to a variety of circumstances has yet to be able to do that. Duncan should continue where he left off as he is just a good playmaker. Unknowns in my mind are Kozek, Watkins and Miller. I was impressed last year when Miller got the chance he really showed some promise.

What are other folks thoughts as to who will have a "break-out" year?

Nothing like giving zero credit to our returning and incoming players. Look at the roster, we still have some fire power there. We will be fine defensively, as for offense, like I said before, I look for Watkins and Kozek to have break out years. Oshie, Porter, Duncan, Kaip, Fabian, Foyt. Plus we do have some talent coming in, one player doesn't "make" or "break" depth as far as I'm concerened. The question is do the incoming players have the ability to make an impact ? Would the loss of Toews hurt, certainly, is it insurmountable, I don't think so, look back to last year 13 freshmen and they managed to pull off a damn good season.

Good post overall. I do think that we fans need to moderate our expectations for some of the incoming players. In the last few years we've been so lucky to have some guys step in and excel from the get-go, i.e. Parise, Oshie, Toews, Spirko, etc. But that is not the norm, and I think guys like Forney and Zajac are going to look a lot more like the normal incoming recruit who doesn't turn heads quite so much the first year. In years past freshmen seasons like we got from Watkins and Kozek last year seem to be more representative of what to expect.

That doesn't mean these players won't be big time contributors at some point in their career, but we need to be careful not to expect too much from them right away. It doesn't mean they won't contribute their appropriate share in their first year. The question is, what is that share? Maybe the rookies will prove me wrong, but I'm worried that many fans think the second coming of Travis Zajac will be on the ice this season and I suspect it won't be quite like that.

With that being said, who is most likely to have a break-out year? I think that Kaip certainly showed improvement late in the year and Porter has alway been one that looks to be a playmaker but due to a variety of circumstances has yet to be able to do that. Duncan should continue where he left off as he is just a good playmaker. Unknowns in my mind are Kozek, Watkins and Miller. I was impressed last year when Miller got the chance he really showed some promise.

I don't have the impression that Porter is a playmaker, but I like what he's saying about trying to finish more this season. He's scored 10-12 goals in the past and if put on a top 2 line he will need to score at least 15 I think. And maybe he can do that or more?. It's good to read he looked very good at the Chicago camp. We'll need him to step up I think.

I think Kozek will step up this year and score 15+ goals. Just my opinion.

To me, Miller is a wild card. He showed some flashes last season. Is he ready to be an every-down player? And if so what is he truly capable of. His flashes get you to thinking pretty good things, but it's so hard to know for sure what he has to give.

I think Watkins will have his place but don't see him as a top 3-4 scorer, but maybe more of the checking line center. Just my impression again.

I don't know that Kaip is going to go bonkers on the score sheet but 5-7 goals would be a nice improvement if he's effective on a checking line.

I think we know what we're going to get with Duncan and Oshie.

What does Martens have to give? He didn't play much last year. Does he have a shot? I'm kind of interested in seeing how that develops. He was a decent player in the BCHL.

To answer your question I think Kozek is my candidate to surprise, and Porter a #2.

I agree with all the forwards you mentioned. To your list I'd add:

Kyle Radke - I think he was much better defensively as a sophomore and I believe we have yet to see all he has to offer offensively. We've seen glimpses of it, but I think there's still a lot of untapped potential there.

Joe Finley - Matt Smaby and Matt Greene improved a great deal from their freshman to sophomore seasons. I think Finley could follow that trend.

Taylor Chorney - His defensive play impressed me as a freshman. Like Radke, I think he can be more of an offensive force than we've seen.

Brian Lee - I suspect that he'll have more freedom offensively as a sophomore. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we saw a dramatic increase in goals and assists from him.

I agree with all the forwards you mentioned. To your list I'd add:

Kyle Radke - I think he was much better defensively as a sophomore and I believe we have yet to see all he has to offer offensively. We've seen glimpses of it, but I think there's still a lot of untapped potential there.

Joe Finley - Matt Smaby and Matt Greene improved a great deal from their freshman to sophomore seasons. I think Finley could follow that trend.

Taylor Chorney - His defensive play impressed me as a freshman. Like Radke, I think he can be more of an offensive force than we've seen.

Brian Lee - I suspect that he'll have more freedom offensively as a sophomore. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we saw a dramatic increase in goals and assists from him.

I agree mostly. Chorney was a force last year, best freshman defenseman on the ice almost every night. He has some blazing speed.

Lee will make more of an impact this year in the offensive zone. He obviously knows what he's doing out there on offense, and he is very responsible in the defensive zone. If he bulks up over the summer, dear god will he be a force next year.

Finley-If he has a Smaby or Greene like year holy cow. He has 3 inches on smaby and 4 on greene. He would be dominant. Let's not forget he was a 1st round pick.

Radke-I don't believe he'll ever be that great defensively, but not every defenseman is. What he will be great at is running the PP and finding pinpoint passes. Last year I was a little disappointed in his shooting on the PP, he always seemed to shoot it at defenders and it would get blocked. That is basically the worst thing that can happen on a PP(Save for a shorthanded goal).

Zach Jones-Absolute animal. I expect him to put up a tad more offense(and by a tad, i really mean a tad). Maybe a goal or two and a few more assists. Defensivley he is fine.

Lamoureux-I have faith that he will be dominant. We have all seen what he is all about. He can shut teams down on a good night. I expect him to step out and be a force.

Grieco-Have never seen him play, but have heard good things. He's a youngster also, as he won't be 18 til sometime during the season. Not real sure what to expect, but I'm excited about his future.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...kessel_0443.htm

according to this, toews told chorney(who told INCH) that unless Chicago "backs him into a corner" he'll be at UND another year...im not really sure how they could do that because im sure that both toews and chicago are trying to keep each other happy. anyways...this appears to be good news. with all the top players staying this season we will at least not have to think too much about whether or not they are staying! there are going to be a lot of players leaving next year, with U of M leading the way hopefully. :crazy:

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...kessel_0443.htm

according to this, toews told chorney(who told INCH) that unless Chicago "backs him into a corner" he'll be at UND another year...im not really sure how they could do that because im sure that both toews and chicago are trying to keep each other happy. anyways...this appears to be good news. with all the top players staying this season we will at least not have to think too much about whether or not they are staying! there are going to be a lot of players leaving next year, with U of M leading the way hopefully. :crazy:

I think this may be my favorite article yet. :ohmy: As much as I'd love to see Toews in the NHL, I think I'd love to seem him there in another year. Although by no means is this anywhere near offical... I like the sounds of it.

I think this may be my favorite article yet. :crazy: As much as I'd love to see Toews in the NHL, I think I'd love to seem him there in another year. Although by no means is this anywhere near offical... I like the sounds of it.

Its good news.

There is a name missing that has some potential as well, VandeVelde. Although he wasn't a super star in Lincoln, he did make progress and played for a good team. I remember watching him during the MN High School tourney a couple of years ago, he was a shooting machine. Same tourney where in the Championship Game, The Oshie wins the face off, dives, tips the puck to his winger for the winning goal. If he picked up some strength, a feel for the next level of speed and a little defense - he might surprise a lot of us. I think he will and I'll even go so far as saying he'll drop in 10 goals and a dozen assists.

There is a name missing that has some potential as well, VandeVelde.

That's certainly another factor to consider for next season. Sometimes an incoming freshman will play much better than expected. Remember Ryan Bayda and his contribution to UND's national championship in 2000?

That's certainly another factor to consider for next season. Sometimes an incoming freshman will play much better than expected. Remember Ryan Bayda and his contribution to UND's national championship in 2000?

With all due respect to Vandevelde, Bayda was considered one of the top forward recruits in the country his freshman year, and many expected a big year from him. The aforementioned 10-12-22 rookie year would probably be the top end of my expectations for Vandevelde this year. The standard caution, that I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, applies here.