SiouxSports.com Forum

News on Toews

PCM

Yes, Jack Johnson said "no", hardly ever happens though. Leopold is the only other player that comes to mind. Fact is, 99% of the players, will take the money if offered. Kessel, Toews, and Oshie included.

That is so wrong. Commie, Matt Greene, Smaby (to name a few) all tunred down good deals because they were so dedicated to the program. People don't realize it, but I know for a fact that these 3 were pursued really hard by the NHL teams who had their rights.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is so wrong. Commie, Matt Greene, Smaby (to name a few) all tunred down good deals because they were so dedicated to the program. People don't realize it, but I know for a fact that these 3 were pursued really hard by the NHL teams who had their rights.

Hmmm funny all three signed early after their junior years. If they were pursued hard after their sophmore years it would be more to just get them into their system than to have them step up and make the NHL club. Players that stay when the right offer is on the table are very few and far between. Some will stay if they think they can be in a better bargaining position after another year of college. When offered a contract, most players bolt.

Hmmm funny all three signed early after their junior years. If they were pursued hard after their sophmore years it would be more to just get them into their system than to have them step up and make the NHL club. Players that stay when the right offer is on the table are very few and far between. Some will stay if they think they can be in a better bargaining position after another year of college. When offered a contract, most players bolt.

Can't speak for Commodore, but Greene and Smaby were both heavily pursued after their sophomore years. Especially Smaby.

since toews is doing the wjc again, does that make it any more hopeful he stays??

Unfortunately attendance of the camp has no impact on what Toews will do this coming season. Some of the players attending the camp will be playing pro hockey this coming fall and depending on the requirments of their Pro teams, could be denied the opportunity to participate in the WJC. I actually prefer the approach that Columbus has taken because in the past many NHL teams have pulled out some of the better Cdn juniors several weeks before the tournament.

Freshmen and sophomores for most WCHA teams will play a large part in the team's success. Is there anyone left in the WCHA with a Wisco-like (last season) junior and senior dominated team? If not in the WCHA, how about HE? It would seem we're not far away from a team of 22 and 23 year olds that doesn't have the name of UND, MN, Wisco, Denver, CC could well win the NCAA championship, as the teams with the high draft pick recruits will be playing mostly 18 and 19 year olds.

Not sure where else to post this, so I will post it here:

DU's Paul Stastny signed with the Avalanche.

http://www.coloradoavalanche.com/news/curr...ails.asp?ID=588

Wow, I wonder if Coach Troll even saw that one coming. I would say this could be the single biggest loss suffered by any WCHA team as the Pies were going to rely heavily on him for both leadership and scoring.

Maybe just my perception but he always seemed to hurt the Sioux. Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. Pios need to suffer their share like the rest of us.

Sprig one wonders, if SCSU can make similar strides this next year, with Goepfert in goal they may have to be reckoned with in the NCAA's. I know it sounds preposterous when you think of SCSU of a couple of years ago, but Motzko had that team playing WAY better than Dahl by the end of the year. And Goepfert is good enough to get the job done. I'm not sure I see it happening, but to answer your question, that seems like a team that may at least stand to be counted.

I could see the SCSU angle, but they graduated a big class last year, I think. UMD in a year or two as their big class matures. A team like FSU from a few years ago (hack city, USA). By the end of the year, I might still take my chances with the team with the two best forwards in college hockey (knocking on wood).

edit: I checked on SCSU. They return their top scorer, but scorers 2-5 were all senior forwards. So they need to rebuild their scoring lines. On the plus side (for them), it looks like most of their defense returns intact.

Over the next few years, UND will probably become one of the more experienced teams. The current sophomore class will still have 5 or 6 players left when they're seniors, and the current freshman class looks like it may still be pretty intact then too.

Look for this news to be official soon. According to a member of the current UND coaching staff, Towes will be back for one more year.

could you give a little more info on that...what member of the UND coaching staff said that? etc.

could you give a little more info on that...what member of the UND coaching staff said that? etc.

uhhhh, you really cannot give out your sources 99.999% of the time if you wish to obtain info in the future.so dont count on that information..lets hope this news is accurate!!

Only PCM does that, but it's a required part of the 'sudo'-reporter standard operating procedure. ;)???

I'm guessing that the source is either Hakstol, Barry or Eades, but I could be wrong. ???;)