SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I just throw this out there for discussion, since it's not gonna happen.   If Jost, Fabbro, and Mathews all decided to join the good guys in green this fall, would that present challenges for Berry?   One of UND's strengths has been getting guys to buy into their roles, making a lot of average stand-alone players great team players.   What do you do with that much talent?  The room to underperform is awful damm large. 

I just throw this out there for discussion, since it's not gonna happen.   If Jost, Fabbro, and Mathews all decided to join the good guys in green this fall, would that present challenges for Berry?   One of UND's strengths has been getting guys to buy into their roles, making a lot of average stand-alone players great team players.   What do you do with that much talent?  The room to underperform is awful damm large. 

Once can dream, right?! Everything I've seen/heard indicates Jost and Fabbro are playing out their next/senior/draft season's in Penticton, though. Not sure if there's any chance of that changing for NCAA route, although they shared one of them (Jost?) did accelerate and would be eligible. Thanks to those for linking the TPS audio -- definitely hopeful on Jost and indications seem good that Fabbro is at least considering us strongly. Also thought it was interesting to hear Jost talk about a big benefit of DU was the offensive creativity encouraged of the forwards and less energy needing to be expended on defense -- guess it's more than just UND fans that may see UND's offense as sometimes lacking creativity and being heavy on defensive structure?

Personally, I'm over Matthews at this point. I know the int'l visa eligibility may put NCAA back in the picture, but just don't care to follow the drama of it. Of course, if he landed here, I'd be ecstatic and completely get over the 'we don't really need/want him anyway' attitude. :)

Either way he will play his home games in front of a bunch of UND fans...  :whistling:

I was listening to tps guys podcast and jost noted that he is definitely leaning towards college and that he "really really liked ND". He did note that Denver is an option too though.

• Upvote 3

It sounds like Jost and Fabbro are pretty committed to returning to Penticton this fall.  Do I remember correctly that they were already confirmed as captains?  I might just be imagining that.  Either way, it sounds like they are 16/17 recruits if they go the NCAA route.

I just throw this out there for discussion, since it's not gonna happen. If Jost, Fabbro, and Mathews all decided to join the good guys in green this fall, would that present challenges for Berry? One of UND's strengths has been getting guys to buy into their roles, making a lot of average stand-alone players great team players. What do you do with that much talent? The room to underperform is awful damm large.

Having that much talent is never ever a problem. High end or not UND is expected to contend yearly for the big one. Anyways Jost and fabbro are at Penticton this year. They would come in next fall if so. Let's hope! UND hasn't won a natty or even had a legit crack at one since for ten years after getting worked by gwoz and his boys. I'll take my chances with as much talent high end talent avaialable. Hope berry, shaw and Dane add bit more creativity to the offenses noted above. Change is good

I am looking forward to seeing Berry's recruiting chops.  I know that he and Dane have been an integral part of Hak's recruiting , but now we have a new assistant and Berry is the face of Fighting Sioux Hockey.  A different dynamic.  It will be interesting to see what blue-chippers we get and what kind of team he builds.  

I am looking forward to seeing Berry's recruiting chops.  I know that he and Dane have been an integral part of Hak's recruiting , but now we have a new assistant and Berry is the face of Fighting Sioux Hockey.  A different dynamic.  It will be interesting to see what blue-chippers we get and what kind of team he builds.  

From Schlossman's Q&A with Jackson Keane:

"Him being the head coach now is huge. He was mainly the guy who recruited me."

Q&A with Jackson Keane

Obviously Matthews is an extremem longshot for the NCAA, let alone UND; but it would be intersting to know what, if any, conversation UND has had with him recently. With the Visa issues, have there been any new phone calls to him, or are NCAA teams letting it run its course.

I don't know about you guys, but I love hearing that stuff. This kid gets it. Can't wait for you to get to campus, Jackson. Good luck this year!

Especially like when player acknowledge staying all 4 years. Doesn't mean they will, but it is nice to hear that mentality early on.

Especially like when player acknowledge staying all 4 years. Doesn't mean they will, but it is nice to hear that mentality early on.

That's what I'm saying! Also, mentioned that he would be ok spending a couple years in Sioux City before coming to UND. He gets it.

Obviously Matthews is an extremem longshot for the NCAA, let alone UND; but it would be intersting to know what, if any, conversation UND has had with him recently. With the Visa issues, have there been any new phone calls to him, or are NCAA teams letting it run its course.

This door was slammed shut months ago but, to my surprise, it appears to have re-opened.  

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/619294889021440000

This seems to be interesting.

Over The Boards @OTBPuckWatch 2h2 hours ago

EC Red Bull Salzburg (Austria) add 2 talented US Fs for 15-16 in Arizona 99 F Carson Dimoff and 00 F Ryan Savage. Both Everett (WHL) picks.

Over The Boards @OTBPuckWatch 2h2 hours ago

10th overall WHL pick 00 F Riley Stotts (Swift Current) rumored to be joining them in Salzburg as well.

Stotts could be a player UND has an eye on, and from what I understand they will still retain their college eligibility.

• 2 weeks later...

This door was slammed shut months ago but, to my surprise, it appears to have re-opened.  

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/619294889021440000

Anyone hear anything new on Matthews? Likely would not land at UND, but I haven't seen anything new on his work permit in Switzerland, or if he will opt for the WHL or NCAA.