SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I think UND really missed on not getting him.

Unless you know something I don't, he's not a big kid at 5-10, 165 and only finished T42 in regular season AJHL scoring as a forward, a league not known for a ton of high-end recruits.  He's also already 19 and will be 20 in the fall, so an older kid, his stats and size don't bode too well in my eyes.  Not saying he's a bad player, but even our role players are typically good enough to light it up in juniors.  I'm glad for him that he's able to go D1, though.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 7:42 PM, SiouxScore said:

Wayzata forward had visited UND.

Colin Schmidt @colinschmidt03 20m20 minutes ago
Very excited to announce my commitment to play hockey at the University of Minnesota! Huge thank you to everyone who helped along the way.

We didn't want him anyway...:)

• Upvote 2

Le Droit in Ottawa reports top QMJHL Draft prospect Benoît-Olivier Groulx is considering UND, as well as Wisconsin, Clarkson, and St. Lawrence. The prevailing wisdom is that he does end up in the Q, but it's worth knowing who he is, because he's really good.

• Upvote 3

Shane Bowers is retuning to Waterloo next year.

12 hours ago, savepercentage said:

Le Droit in Ottawa reports top QMJHL Draft prospect Benoît-Olivier Groulx is considering UND, as well as Wisconsin, Clarkson, and St. Lawrence. The prevailing wisdom is that he does end up in the Q, but it's worth knowing who he is, because he's really good.

Benoît-Olivier Groulx tried to attend Shattuck-St. Mary's but didn't get in. He has two offers, but not sure who the offers are. It doesn't look like Groulx is being pushed to QMJHL or NCAA. His dad said it will be his decision on what route he takes. After visiting Shattuck Groulx didn't know the NCAA was an option. His USHL rights are held by Des Moines.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Shane Bowers is retuning to Waterloo next year.

Benoît-Olivier Groulx tried to attend Shattuck-St. Mary's but didn't get in. He has two offers, but not sure who the offers are. It doesn't look like Groulx is being pushed to QMJHL or NCAA. His dad said it will be his decision on what route he takes. After visiting Shattuck Groulx didn't know the NCAA was an option. His USHL rights are held by Des Moines.   

Why didn't he get in?

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They don't allow in guys with three names with an "i" in each.
And guys with an "x" in their last name? No way. 

I've heard that. In fact, it is said that if that French fur trader had spelled his name Faribioux,  Shattuck would have started in Owatonna instead.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

More information needed........(at least for me)

Rasanen is ranked #21 among European players for the 2016 NHL Draft. Projected to be picked in the 6th round.

U18 World Juniors: 3-6-9

Tappara U20 50 games 19-19-38 as a 17 year old just turned 18 on June 1st.

33 minutes ago, NoDakFan said:

So is it just a pipe dream situation he comes here, or are we a serious consideration?

UND is one of the teams to make an offer to him. I saw a video of him playing and he could benefit more going the NCAA route.

3 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

So is it just a pipe dream situation he comes here, or are we a serious consideration?

His dad has coached at several levels, including major juniors and the AHL. On the record he has said it is up to the kid. The kid has said his mom likes the idea of more education. No one can be sure what is being said at home behind closed doors.

So based on the recent posts it looks like we have offered Groulx. What is the likelihood that we offer Bowers? Both look to be some pretty high end talent. I suppose we are still a little while from either of them making a decision on what route the want to take moving forward.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

So based on the recent posts it looks like we have offered Groulx. What is the likelihood that we offer Bowers? Both look to be some pretty high end talent. I suppose we are still a little while from either of them making a decision on what route the want to take moving forward.

Grouix should become a Sioux, it is only natural! I hope he can figure that out!

This never got farther than being "prospective" so this is probably as good of a spot as any for looking back.....I think someone on this board (Rick?) has made this comment before, and some people have laughed at it.  But, here it is confirmed by Michael Russo:

Sidney Crosby was almost a Fighting Sioux

He was introduced to college hockey and nearly was wooed by North Dakota, where one of his idols, Parise, was playing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dagies said:

This never got farther than being "prospective" so this is probably as good of a spot as any for looking back.....I think someone on this board (Rick?) has made this comment before, and some people have laughed at it.  But, here it is confirmed by Michael Russo:

Sidney Crosby was almost a Fighting Sioux

it was definitely fact all along, however u are definitely correct, there was no way he was coming here. Russo's "nearly" was a nice plug for und.