SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Hey Bi-son Boy.... What about all of those dates that you kept yapping about as the deadline to get in the mighty Summit League that passed by?

Speaking of dates..... how's your inflatable one?

MPLSBISONFAN is a @$$ hat... he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, he is just here to cause problems and troll.

I don't want to see UND hurt in any real way - but a statement & wake up call is in order - if donations are delayed to wake up some folks, then so be it

I think this can still be won - but if Apathy is going to be the norm & than everyone who just sits back & does nothing but wait & see - then the name will fail & everyone will wish they could of, should of, done something

Money talks

The really sad part is I still don't see any real Leadership moving this forward to a positive conclusion - as in doing everything to save the name

Who is doing anything to Help Standing Rock make the vote happen ? Hire them some consultants? / maybe Lawyers ? / Advisors ? / Organizers ? / Raise $$$ to Help them get it done ? ? ? FAST TRACK IT

Or is everyone just so burnt out on the whole thing ? (& have given up ?)

Maybe send the normal donations to a group to get this done & long term agreements with both tribes- in everyones best interests - also ask for others to contribute ?

We did it to get the crappy lawsuit challenge & crappy settlement with the NCAA

The NCAA governed the use of nicknames via the 'Hostile and Abusive' program.

That's a fact.

And yet they even admitted that the schools could choose whatever nickname they wanted but couldn't display it at NCCA tournaments or host tournaments. Not quite as drastic as the viewpoint expressed.

Here's something of interest from ESPN The Magazine this week.

William & Mary chooses griffin as their new mascot, teams will still be known as The Tribe.

How is calling yourself the Tribe not hostile and abusive?

Because "The Tribe" is not necessarily referring to a group of Native-Americans. A tribe can refer to any ethnic group.

Note that the old "Tribe" lettering did in fact have an Indian feather and that did have to be removed.

I don't want to see UND hurt in any real way - but a statement & wake up call is in order - if donations are delayed to wake up some folks, then so be it

I think this can still be won - but if Apathy is going to be the norm & than everyone who just sits back & does nothing but wait & see - then the name will fail & everyone will wish they could of, should of, done something

Money talks

The really sad part is I still don't see any real Leadership moving this forward to a positive conclusion - as in doing everything to save the name

Who is doing anything to Help Standing Rock make the vote happen ? Hire them some consultants? / maybe Lawyers ? / Advisors ? / Organizers ? / Raise $$ to Help them get it done ? ? ? FAST TRACK IT

Or is everyone just so burnt out on the whole thing ? (& have given up ?)

Maybe send the normal donations to a group to get this done & long term agreements with both tribes- in everyones best interests - also ask for others to contribute ?

We did it to get the crappy lawsuit challenge & crappy settlement with the NCAA

Standing Rock has had three YEARS to get a vote done.

Fast track it?

There is no such thing.

Wow - what an incredibly bias story from the Grand Forks Herald. You can bet these students were hand picked because of their opinons. Not one voice on the other side - as if there is 100 percent agreement from Native Americans, which we know there isn't.

Of course they are going to say the Spirit Lake supporters are uninformed, that's because the vote didn't go their way. You always question the results when something does not support your opinion.

My parents raised me to understand that "No one can make you feel a certain way, you are in control of your emotions and thoughts"

I was at the Pow Wow in Grand Forks and saw several other non-native americans there. It was a beautiful spring day I bet there were many events within the city that had light attendance but I don't think they are blaming it on prejudice. I could also say "I did not feel welcome there", "People were looking at me funny and talking about me" or "I did not feel safe" But I won't.

I was stopped at the door to the event rather disrespectfully by door monitors who obviously were assuming that I did not have a ticket or did not belong there. They asked me for my ticket but they did not ask the people in front of me - must of been because of my color. It made me feel unwelcome, it made me feel uncomfortable - guess I should have called the newspaper or filed a discrmination complaint.

Of all the negative stereotypes of Native Americans that exist and will continue to exist we are about to eliminate one of the few postive symbols. It's sad but I don't think getting rid of the Fighting Sioux logo is going to stop idiots who are prejudice from shouting stupid comments out of truck windows.

If a t-shirt reading "You're in Sioux Country" is considered offensive, then these kids are in for a long, tough life. Life is hard. Harder when you're stupid.

Speaking of t-shirts, I'm out and about after lunch today and I see a NA lady, late 40's I'd guess, with a t-shirt that made me double take. It had a pic of a NA chief in head dress and above NA pic it said: "Original Homeland Security: Little Big Horn Leaders" and under the pic it said "Fighting Terrorism".

I could say a number of things, but one word will do....PATHETIC!!!

Sioux clothing made a Darthmouth student cry? :D I wonder what she did when Darthmouth students had a 'sacrilegious' drum circle, or when the Darthmouth Review had on it's front page an image of an Indian holding a scalp with the headline The Indians are Restless, or when students still call the Darthmouth athletes the Indians or when a the Cowboys and Indians party is held by an athletic team or when she sees fellow students wearing Darthmouth Indians gear (still being sold)!?! :D

dartmouth_indians_high_north_dartmouth_tshirt-p2350755219685009242t093_75.jpghttp://www.zazzle.com/i+support+dartmouth+indian+gifts

My suggestion to her is to wear a sleep mask all the time because if the Sioux logo on clothes sends her into a fit of tears, no telling what else is going cause her to burst into tears. The homeless, the hungry, earthquakes, the unemployment, the terminally ill, the handicapped, child abuse, puppy mills, failed crops, .....? No, probably not. They don't have the same impact as a name and logo.

Why exactly does a piece have to be balanced? I guess I don't understand. This was a story from these peoples perspectives, that's it. A week ago or so they had a full page of opinions on support of the name. So many in fact they felt the silly need to write why all of these letters that were published were in favor of the nickname. This story concerns me from the stand point that apparently when people who are different from us in this community indicate they get stared at rather than talked to, it's disappointing, although not surprising. Having grown up in this community for a long time, there is no doubt in my experiences that our behaviors in this community reflect some of the things unearthed in this story. I've seen it. Although I will say that it says more about those who make up this community and the issues they have than it does about the nickname. The correlation is weak at best.

Why exactly does a piece have to be balanced? I guess I don't understand. This was a story from these peoples perspectives, that's it. A week ago or so they had a full page of opinions on support of the name. So many in fact they felt the silly need to write why all of these letters that were published were in favor of the nickname. This story concerns me from the stand point that apparently when people who are different from us in this community indicate they get stared at rather than talked to, it's disappointing, although not surprising. Having grown up in this community for a long time, there is no doubt in my experiences that our behaviors in this community reflect some of the things unearthed in this story. I've seen it. Although I will say that it says more about those who make up this community and the issues they have than it does about the nickname. The correlation is weak at best.

WOW!!

Whatever dude..

Ttry living somewhere else, in Denver hispanic gangs are targeting white people for assault/robberies to the degree that the D.P.D. advised white people not go out after dark alone in the city.

Try walk'n around the South Side of Chicago and see how the people there compare to mean North Dakotan's.

I once walked down Prospect Blv. in Kansas City just to prove to a buddie that I would live through it. Not five minutes after he let me out of the car, the police drove up to me and said, "WTF are you doing here whitey? You need to leave before you get hurt!

That same blond haired-blue eyed friend, back in college at UND, got jumped by three Native American's in the Down Under for no reason. You could probably say he is racist and said something bad like you are suggesting North Dakotans do in your post, but you might want to know that he is married to Skip Longie's great niece and she grew up on the Spirt Lake Reservation. Oh she, my best friends wife, a Native American, got a law degree from UND and is a huge Sioux Fan. She quilted me the most amazing Sioux Blanket you have ever seen.

The people from North Dakota are good people and should not for one second be stereo-typed or judged in the way you are suggesting.

There are bad people everywhere it's just a matter of percentage and severity and the folkes in North Dakota are not high on any such list.

And if you want to Psychologically understand the perspectives the people in the story have, the first thing that needs to be discussed is Shame Based perceptions and how they relate to feelings of victimization. But given how you apparently see things, that would be way over your head.

Oh and BTW it is poor journalism.

Here us why:

First of all, let me make this clear.

You are absolutly incorrect about the articles recently in the paper.

I have read most of the articles that have been written about this in the last 10 years and I would say about 90% of them have painted the picture of the name change proponents as victims trying to be advocated for. About 80% of the articles have had flat-out incorrect information in them that slants the story against the pro-name side.

I remember Nightline once had in its Sign of the Times segement a story about how some billionare Nazi sympathizer could bully the state of North Dakota into keeping a name that was "hostive and abusive" to Native Americans.

That is just one example of the plethora of propaganda that has been spewed locally and nationally regarding this issue. Remeber SI back in 2002?

Now the articles in the last month have shown both sides of the story more than in the past. But they have not been as you suggested one sided at all. Go back and read them. There was the letter to the editor by the ex Native American Sioux hockey player that got published. But that was one persons perspective and it was not suggesting that it was the opinion or experience of a "GROUP"

The article in question speaks to the experience of a group though the testimony of only a few members of that group. Given the fact that 2 out of 3 Spirit lake members DO NOT see it the way that the subjects in the article did, I would say that calling that article irresponsable is quite fair.

LEAFY SPURGE
To University of North Dakota alums who say they will quit donating to the university because the Fighting Sioux logo has been retired. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. In one breath they claim to love their alma mater; in the next they pledge to hurt the school. What kind of love is that? The only reasonable conclusion one could make is that they really don

yababy should change your name to crybaby. Honestly, do you let every little article in this world effect you this much, and if so, how are you able to function? Secondly, I've been to both of those places that you mentioned, doesn't make it right either way. All I'm saying is that from what it sounds, as a nickname supporter, it would seem that we missed a opportunity somewhere along the line in making a positive impact with some of these folks in the article. Of course their are some in this world you just can't make an impact with, their jaded to begin with. But for some, we've missed it as a community, and I have missed it as an individual. It is what it is. Good grief, if the article like this illicits such a response from you it probably hits a mark that is close to home. And your figures for how many articles come out in favor of the nickname to negative, is strictly perspective. You may read something into piece that was written entirely differently than I would. The fact that your immediately dismissive of anything these people say, goes directly to point that we white NoDaks aren't really that different than anyone else when it comes to interacting with those different from us. Besides even if those in this recent article were only trying to say these things to draw your ire & nothing more, I would say they were successful. I just choose to take the story for what it is... a story, look at the way I behave when I'm around other people and go from there. You on the other hand go into attack mode.

But as you said everything is above me. Let me borrow a line from Sid H. who throws it around to some of his calls. YOUR A REAL GENIUS, SIR.

Gimme a break.