SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

i didn't pick the deadline. it was established almost three years ago in an agreement between und and the ncaa. my position is, and always has been, that und, the sbohe, and any other entity with influence on the matter should give the full alloted time for a decision to be made by both tribes. to do otherwise would be analogous with the electoral college choosing the president before the people even voted.

if i got to pick and choose what worked for my agenda, as stated already, their would be no deadline and the name and logo would stay until one or both of the tribes, of their own free will and not because of pressure by the ncaa or any other organization, held a majoirty vote to retire the name and logo.

now you tell me, mooncountry, since you're so convinced that my position is wholly self-serving, then what happens once the deadline has come and gone? let's assume no vote is held by standing rock and the name is retired. at that time, as i said in my first post in this conversation of which you wandered into the middle, i will drop it because i will consider it a done deal. if that possibilbity becomes a reality, in what way is my position self-serving?

you state that i only support the november deadline because it buys more time for the nickname (a flawed logic since that was always the deadline). so if that date comes and the logo is retired and i speak no more on this board in reference to the topic, then will you admit you were wrong about me? i mean, if things go as i've laid out in this scenario, then somebody who only supports the november deadline because it buys more time would then choose another date in the future to wait for as to continue to buy more time, correct?

i'm all about debate and hearing other sides, otherwise i wouldn't be on a message board. however, i do my best not to assume anything about somebody else or insult another person through name-calling and prejudice. i think i've done a very good job of this and i do so because i don't think it's fair to judge somebody i've never met or even spoken with based on their opinion on a topic that conflicts with my opinion on that topic. it seems, though, that so many others on this board are willing to pass judgement so quickly without anymore knowledge of me then i have of him/her.

i consider my reasoning for supporting the november deadline sound. if it wasn't for the fact that i can claim the higher ground by not resorting to name calling and assumptions of character and motivation, i'd find your assessment of my support of the november deadline insulting.

carry on, though, i can catch your stones all day and night and i promise not to throw them back.

The paradox is that not a single Sioux fan respects the NCAA's right to govern the choice of nickname that its member schools use, yet almost all vehemently respect the date that it arbitrarily picked as the deadline to get the tribe's support.

Was any real thought given to picking the correct date for the deadline? Did the NCAA have any idea how slow tribal politics work? Maybe, if they did some research and talked to the tribes, they would've concluded that a more thoughtful deadline would've been Nov 2012!

But no, no...Nov 30th 2010 isn't now, yet, and so anything that gives the Sioux nickname more time is to be respected without question! :D

The paradox is that not a single Sioux fan respects the NCAA's right to govern the choice of nickname that its member schools use,

Wow! Although this is out of context, you seem to be stating that member schools have no right to choose their own nickname. Even the NCAA didn't go that far.

The paradox is that not a single Sioux fan respects the NCAA's right to govern the choice of nickname that its member schools use, yet almost all vehemently respect the date that it arbitrarily picked as the deadline to get the tribe's support.

The NCAA isn't going to pick any of their member schools nicknames. Wow, that logic is wrong in so many ways.

Well keep guessing - cause you have no answers

anyone who finds Humor in your link is one sick puppy " :lol::D "

:D

I found it hilarious because everyone of the ultra-bitter Sioux fans on here predicted doom and gloom for UND athletics once the nickname was retired.

Nope, hasn't happened yet.

Now go off and be bitter.

The NCAA governed the use of nicknames via the 'Hostile and Abusive' program.

That's a fact.

Yes, but the NCAA Executive Committee didn't have that authority initially. They got the power by vote at a convention after August 5, 2005 (the date of the "hostile and abusive" policy). They only got that power after a couple schools raised the question (and one filed a lawsuit). And now I'll wonder aloud who'll be the next victims of that unchecked power.

I found it hilarious because everyone of the ultra-bitter Sioux fans on here predicted doom and gloom for UND athletics once the nickname was retired.

UND lost one major donor ($25K+/yr) so far due to the nickname issue. I'd say that's a pretty big hit.

Any pro-nickname folks open their wallets yet? Not to the tune of $25K/yr!

Bill Ayers Speaking Controversy at U Wyo

A donor gives to a University because it believes that it's purpose is just and moral and benefits society. If a University hires or gives a platform for unrepentant terrorists, should not the alumni have a voice with their own money?

Donors to a point are allowed to say it should go to athletics, or here is $X to go toward the new wing of a dormatory. That is typically how you get your name on a building. But to the point where this guy takes it no. You are supposed to give because you believe in what they are trying to accomplish.

Think about donating money to a church. They may buy TP with that money, or they may comission a painting with it. You can donate that painting if that is your intent but, the church still needs TP.

UND lost one major donor ($25K+/yr) so far due to the nickname issue. I'd say that's a pretty big hit.

Any pro-nickname folks open their wallets yet? Not to the tune of $25K/yr!

Let's see the anti-nickname folks open their wallets. Oh wait, they're probably all still in school after 20 years or on government assistance or just got laid off due to government cut backs necessistated by the economy and less tax revenue or just completely incapable of employment at all because they're "genteel sensibilities" are too easily offended. Never mind.

Yes, but the NCAA Executive Committee didn't have that authority initially. They got the power by vote at a convention after August 5, 2005 (the date of the "hostile and abusive" policy). They only got that power after a couple schools raised the question (and one filed a lawsuit). And now I'll wonder aloud who'll be the next victims of that unchecked power.

Thanks for the history, but my point still stands correct: the NCAA had the authority to govern UND's nickname. Most Sioux fans do not respect that authority. But most all respect the deadline that the NCAA arbitrarily picked.

Pick and choose for what meets your agenda.

Bill Ayers Speaking Controversy at U Wyo

A donor gives to a University because it believes that it's purpose is just and moral and benefits society. If a University hires or gives a platform for unrepentant terrorists, should not the alumni have a voice with their own money?

We get it star2...you're looking for an excuse to stop donating money to UND student athletes.

Just don't complain when the quality of the team goes south. :D

Let's see the anti-nickname folks open their wallets. Oh wait, they're probably all still in school after 20 years or on government assistance or just got laid off due to government cut backs necessistated by the economy and less tax revenue or just completely incapable of employment at all because they're "genteel sensibilities" are too easily offended. Never mind.

So what you are saying is that they are part of the 47% of (potential) wage earning adults in this country that pay no...ZERO...federal income tax! :D

The article didn't seem to think so! :D

You are right? :D No public spin from Mr. O'Keefe there!

Any university of the size of UND will and could absorb the hit of losing a $25K/tr donor...not to mention a lot of small donors!

But most all respect the deadline that the NCAA arbitrarily picked.

The date in question was part of a negotiated settlement between the NCAA and the State of North Dakota.

One may argue "arbitrarily", but it was not the NCAA alone.

Now go off and be bitter.

Hey dipsh!t, last I looked the name hasn't been and won't be retired until August 2011 at the earliest, so a little puff piece by a newspaper trying to further their agenda is premature at best.

The date in question was part of a negotiated settlement between the NCAA and the State of North Dakota.

One may argue "arbitrarily", but it was not the NCAA alone.

Well did anyone bother to ask the tribes if that date seemed reasonable? I rather doubt it, especially seeing glacial pace that the tribes go about their business.

But is anyone on here complaining about how the Nov 2010 should've never been agreed too? No, of course not...not yet anyway. Give it until Dec :D

Here's something of interest from ESPN The Magazine this week.

William & Mary chooses griffin as their new mascot, teams will still be known as The Tribe.

How is calling yourself the Tribe not hostile and abusive?