SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Folks, control what's yours to control.

And in this case I'm telling you, the fans, to demand that a new moniker and logo be in place for the start of the 2011 season.

If you don't demand an immediate transition the process will be overtaken by "inclusive, thoughtful, and deliberate" (<-- Kelley's words) academics. Allow me to translate that for those of you that don't understand that code: You'll get a moniker like Marquette's failed "Gold" or Dartmouth's never accepted "Big Green" or Stanford's "Cardinal" (that's the color, not a bird) with a tree logo, given to you by the same folks who didn't like the words "Fighting Sioux" and who really don't like athletics all that much either.

If it comes to it, demand that the process happen in time for Opening Kickoff 2011.

Otherwise either the "enlightened" (like Kelley and Leigh Jeanotte and Ron His Horse is Thunder) will pick it, or worse, we'll be stuck with an only semi-flattering tag hung on us by some outside media source.

Totally agree

Folks, control what's yours to control.

And in this case I'm telling you, the fans, to demand that a new moniker and logo be in place for the start of the 2011 season.

If you don't demand an immediate transition the process will be overtaken by "inclusive, thoughtful, and deliberate" (<-- Kelley's words) academics. Allow me to translate that for those of you that don't understand that code: You'll get a moniker like Marquette's failed "Gold" or Dartmouth's never accepted "Big Green" or Stanford's "Cardinal" (that's the color, not a bird) with a tree logo, given to you by the same folks who didn't like the words "Fighting Sioux" and who really don't like athletics all that much either.

If it comes to it, demand that the process happen in time for Opening Kickoff 2011.

Otherwise either the "enlightened" (like Kelley and Leigh Jeanotte and Ron His Horse is Thunder) will pick it, or worse, we'll be stuck with an only semi-flattering tag hung on us by some outside media source.

i'll admin, i like the cardinal (for stanford, not for und). for some reason that nickname creates an aura of prestige every time i hear it. the tree mascot sucks though.

We talking the actual Wisconsin law or you want to get hypothetical?

The law deals with local school boards, not the university system.

It's a slippery slope where it may only apply to one today but escalate to others tomorrow. So yes, it may be more hypothetical at the moment but it could be the start of something else where the lower hanging fruits are picked from the tree but once started, the more difficult ones are gotten later.

Why do i have a feeling by the time a vote comes it will be time to Christmas shop. Seems like things are in slow motion and Nov 30th is only 6 months and 17 days away.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be an urgency

Well, at least things are moving forward. It sounds as if Charles Murphy, regardless of his position on the nickname, wants to see SR vote on it at least. I guess I am grateful that I do not understand the PC logic, thus: We have elected representatives that are supposed to look out for SR people, yet it is completely understandable and "how stupid of you to not 'get it'" that the Tribal Council would not take action in the face of over 1,000 signatures. If over half of MN signed a petition to have the state legislature look at something, you can better believe that the state legislature would do it. The lack of logical thought and the complete lack of respect concerning representative democracy on the part of the anti-nicknamers just evinces how maniacal and senseless their positions are.

On a good note, there was a great link off of Brad's blog to the Calgary newspaper which had an excellent piece about George Pelawa. He was from Bemidji and would have been on the 86-87 team. Pelawa never played a game for the Sioux but he is part of the Sioux hockey tradition/family and his story is still remembered 24 years later.

And Standing Rock should be feeling a sense of urgency because _________? (fill in the blank). For 80 years Standing Rock has been uninvolved as far as the UND nickname and logo are concerned (They were not consulted before the new logo was revealed, were not solicited for input before the NCAA lawsuit, and were basically included in the settlement without their permission but by agreement between the SBOHE and NCAA). Now we are dropping the whole thing in their lap and saying hurry up and decide this for us. We really do need to respect the integrity and sovreignty of Standing Rock and let them decide on their own terms, in their own time - Our desperation is not necessarily their desperation.

And Standing Rock should be feeling a sense of urgency because _________? (fill in the blank). For 80 years Standing Rock has been uninvolved as far as the UND nickname and logo are concerned (They were not consulted before the new logo was revealed, were not solicited for input before the NCAA lawsuit, and were basically included in the settlement without their permission but by agreement between the SBOHE and NCAA). Now we are dropping the whole thing in their lap and saying hurry up and decide this for us. We really do need to respect the integrity and sovreignty of Standing Rock and let them decide on their own terms, in their own time - Our desperation is not necessarily their desperation.

That's one of the most mind boggling things about this whole circus, since the beginning. Did the NCAA or the state of ND actually ask the Sioux tribes what they thought about this whole deal, before it happened? Where they 'at the table' for discussions?

Or was it basically the NCAA says "we decided on our own that Indiana nicknames have to go...lets see....Ah ha! U of North Dakota has 'Fighting Sioux' and there are two Sioux tribes in the state of ND....ok, UND has to drop the nickname or get the approval of both of those tribes...done, next".?

Sounds like it

Well, at least things are moving forward. It sounds as if Charles Murphy, regardless of his position on the nickname, wants to see SR vote on it at least. I guess I am grateful that I do not understand the PC logic, thus: We have elected representatives that are supposed to look out for SR people, yet it is completely understandable and "how stupid of you to not 'get it'" that the Tribal Council would not take action in the face of over 1,000 signatures. If over half of MN signed a petition to have the state legislature look at something, you can better believe that the state legislature would do it. The lack of logical thought and the complete lack of respect concerning representative democracy on the part of the anti-nicknamers just evinces how maniacal and senseless their positions are.

A little bit of clarification. The 1,000+ signatures represent approximately 1/2 of the number of people that voted in the last election, not 1/2 of the population of the reservation. According to this web page the actual population of enrolled member is approximately 6,000 and total population is over 10,000. So the 1,000 signatures is a significant number and is pretty impressive, but it is not 1/2 of the population.

Standing Rock has had an interest in this issue since at least 1969. I believe that was the year the elders from Standing Rock held a pipe ceremony to give UND permission to use the name. Tribal Councils since then have come out against the name. So saying that Standing Rock had been uninvolved for 80 years is not accurate.

Doesn't matter. Kelley has been set on changing the name since the first day he took office. Point your financial support in a different direction like I have.

And if you're not a hypocrite, you will also stop attending or viewing UND sporting events.

And if you're not a hypocrite, you will also stop attending or viewing UND sporting events.

This is such a BS reply. If you don't agree with what is going on at UND, one of the ways that you can make that known is by withholding donations. What is so wrong with that? Just because someone doesn't donate doesn't mean they can't still like the hockey team, football team, etc.

When a professional athlete screws up, what happens? They get suspended and fined. They hit them where it hurts and where they'll feel it.

You don't like what's going on at UND, there is nothing wrong with withholding your donations. That's where they'll feel it and you can make your point known. Are there other ways to do this? Sure. But which way will get people's attention more?

You may not like people withholding donations and that's fine...you don't have to like it. But quit chastizing people for their decision to handle it this way.

This is such a BS reply. If you don't agree with what is going on at UND, one of the ways that you can make that known is by withholding donations. What is so wrong with that? Just because someone doesn't donate doesn't mean they can't still like the hockey team, football team, etc.

When a professional athlete screws up, what happens? They get suspended and fined. They hit them where it hurts and where they'll feel it.

You don't like what's going on at UND, there is nothing wrong with withholding your donations. That's where they'll feel it and you can make your point known. Are there other ways to do this? Sure. But which way will get people's attention more?

You may not like people withholding donations and that's fine...you don't have to like it. But quit chastizing people for their decision to handle it this way.

I agree that is really a BS reply and then I saw who the poster was and it all made sense.

If you withhold donations from the athletic department, but then turn around and continue to support the athletic department by still watching the teams is being a hypocrite in my book.

If you were truly serious about boycotting the actions of the athletic department, then you should not support them in any way.

If you withhold donations from the athletic department, but then turn around and continue to support the athletic department by still watching the teams is being a hypocrite in my book.

If you were truly serious about boycotting the actions of the athletic department, then you should not support them in any way.

Sorry...I guess I didn't realize it was the athletic department that is making the decision to drop the name. My bad. :silly:

I have done that as well. But like you, I'm too stupid to stay off this board because I still have a glimmer of hope the name will remain and SR will do the right thing. Unfortunately, I believe you will remain on this board as well.

Oh ok, so you're just canceling donations to the school, but you're continuing your donations to the athletic department?

I don't donate money to UND...I do go to hockey games. If you want to count buying tickets for hockey, buying a beer or 2 at the game and buying UND apparel as donating to the athletic department...then the answer is yes, I guess.

That being said...I don't disagree with those that do donate to UND that disagree with what is going on saying that they are going to stop donating, at least for the time being. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Sorry...I guess I didn't realize it was the athletic department that is making the decision to drop the name. My bad. :silly:

ugh. why does anybody give mplsbison any attention still? when somebody replies to her bs, i start reading the quote not knowing who left the post. every time that happens i think, what is this person talking about? then i think to look at the name in the quote metadata and once i figure it out i can't help but wonder why others are even giving her the time of day.

ray77 - she did the same thing to you that she's done to me several times. she asked you a question, you gave a perfectly logical answer, then she asks the same question again as if you never replied. dealing with mplsbison is an exercise in futility. you can keep presenting your logic on the donations issue, which is perfectly sound in my opinion, but she's going to keep asking the same question over and over and over again.

you need to realize, she's not really trying to engage you in healthy debate. she's behaving like a mischievous child who cares nothing about extracting real information, but rather sits in the back seat of the car with an evil little smile on her face, knowing full well that she's driving you nuts and loving it.

you need to treat her like you treat a child in that situation: ignore her so that she doesn't get the satisfaction of knowing you're getting frustrated. don't believe that she doesn't understand what you're saying; she does. by making you believe she still doesn't follow, she is simply doing her best to get under your skin. i know what you're going through: "man, what the heck is going on here? i've already covered this. perhaps she simply disagrees with me, but what's with this same dang question over and over again? is she daft or am i just not being clear? here, let me try again."

well, stop trying again. let it go and the child will eventually get bored.