SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I keep watching this whole mess unfold and think, "Surely now, someone in power will put the brakes on this nonsense."

And still, the monolith of political correctness lumbers on, listening to no one except a distinct few.

I suppose we could just shrug our shoulders and say "The hell with it. It's just a name, right? UND is the same without it."

Except, it isn't.

UND is a great school, but this episode, this fight has diminished it. This is about the Powers-that-be being on the wrong side of history. I believe there will come day where we will look back and say, "Can you believe the Sioux name and logo was once considered offensive?" and not the shock that there was ever a time we thought it wasn't.

So, call me a whiner, whatever you want. I know what's right as do a majority of alum, ND citizens, Native Americans, and people who love UND.

I hope there's still time, but hope for a reversal grows dimmer by the day. What a shame.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is UND and its great programs.

UND hockey.

UND football.

UND aerospace.

U N D

Sioux was great in its time and place, but that time and place is no more.

Be thankful for what you still have.

Come on Skippy, don't you have anywhere else to go? :silly:

dangit! it happened again. i read a quote not knowing it was from mb.

at least this time she was quoted so as to simply ask her to leave. it was a ridiculous quote (of course). considering donations are anonymous and voluntary, nobody has to make excuses not to donate nor to discontinue donations.

if somebody really was withholding donations because they were "cheap" nobody would ever have to know, so why make up an excuse for doing so?

just another illogical conjecture by the master of illogical conjectures.

...considering donations are anonymous and voluntary...

Well, kinda.

Every men's hockey season ticket holder MUST make a donation to the Fighting Sioux Club. So in that regard they are neither anonymous nor voluntary. If one decides to quit giving money, the tickets are a necessary piece of collateral damage.

With the nickname likely having very little time left people may want to head on over to the FightingSioux.com Auction and pick up some authentic Sioux memorabilia and a piece of Fighting Sioux history. There is only a week left in the auction and many of the items have very small bids or NO BIDS at all yet. Plus, all of the money raised goes to support scholarships for our student athletes.

Well, kinda.

Every men's hockey season ticket holder MUST make a donation to the Fighting Sioux Club. So in that regard they are neither anonymous nor voluntary. If one decides to quit giving money, the tickets are a necessary piece of collateral damage.

I consider that a good collateral damage. I While I am not happy about the name change I don't think Punishing the Athletes is a good idea.

So I would still make the donation.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is UND and its great programs.

UND hockey.

UND football.

UND aerospace.

U N D

Sioux was great in its time and place, but that time and place is no more.

Be thankful for what you still have.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. In regards to the Fighting Sioux nickname, it is and will ALWAYS be, if the name goes, one of the sayings that says "You never knew what you really had until it is actually gone" I'm a firm believer in this regarding the Fighting Sioux name. What a fu^k!ng Shame!!!

I consider that a good collateral damage. I While I am not happy about the name change I don't think Punishing the Athletes is a good idea.

So I would still make the donation.

As do I. I'm just pointing out that people here who say they are done giving money to the University, and yet attend hockey games, are sort of splitting hairs.

As do I. I'm just pointing out that people here who say they are done giving money to the University, and yet attend hockey games, are sort of splitting hairs.

Yeah I agree they are splitting hairs.

Yeah I agree they are splitting hairs.

Well maybe they do both...donate money AND go to hockey games...If they want to quit the donations, that's their perogative...my guess is that this will end up like Miami of Ohio or Marquette and the impact will be felt for years to come...

P.S. I don't need Bison fans telling me how I'm supposed to feel about this...Have a nice day.

The Fighting Sioux Club and UND's Foundation are to seprate entities. You can support one without supporting the other.

One could support athletic scholarships thru the FSC and not support the Foundation or visa versa.

I had no problem renewing my season tickets thru the FSC. I did though have difficulty ultimately signing the check to the Foundation based on my perceived lack of leadership from our AD and President on this whole nickname/logo issue.

UND will always be UND "Home of the Fighting Sioux"...it's just not the same UND I attended IMO.

I have been watching this blog since April 2010 when the foolish decision was made to retire our identity. I agree that a Bison fan or any other fan that is not tied to UND should tell us alumni, fans how to feel about losing our identity (mpls bison). I would suggest all of you that are in support of our Fighting Sioux identity to contact Mr. Archie Fool Bear at Standing Rock and ask him how you can help. I did this several weeks ago and there are so many things going behind the scenes that need our help. Mr. Fool Bear is really great and he's trying to get the Sioux voice heard at Standing Rock. You can PM if you want his contact information. ENOUGH TALKING AND COMPLAINING ON THIS BLOG, LET'S GET GOING AND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been watching this blog since April 2010 when the foolish decision was made to retire our identity. I agree that a Bison fan or any other fan that is not tied to UND should tell us alumni, fans how to feel about losing our identity (mpls bison). I would suggest all of you that are in support of our Fighting Sioux identity to contact Mr. Archie Fool Bear at Standing Rock and ask him how you can help. I did this several weeks ago and there are so many things going behind the scenes that need our help. Mr. Fool Bear is really great and he's trying to get the Sioux voice heard at Standing Rock. You can PM if you want his contact information. ENOUGH TALKING AND COMPLAINING ON THIS BLOG, LET'S GET GOING AND DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kick in the ass- I needed it! Is there an email or a generally good way to reach Mr. Fool Bear? I hate to put any personal contact information out there, but I would love to figure out a way to lend any assistance I can.

Thanks for the kick in the ass- I needed it! Is there an email or a generally good way to reach Mr. Fool Bear? I hate to put any personal contact information out there, but I would love to figure out a way to lend any assistance I can.

Send me a private message and I will send you his email address. Let's get the fight going!

Well, kinda.

Not quite. There are a couple of sections that do not require a donation.

Not quite. There are a couple of sections that do not require a donation.

I think that changed a couple of years ago. The only section that I am aware of that does not require a donation to the FSC is 311, and I don't think they sell season tickets there.

The last section I know of where a non-contributor could buy season tickets was 314, and that went by the wayside.

I'd like his email address, too, if you wouldn't mind PMing it to me. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/2722/

There is continued movement on this at Standing Rock- slowly but surely....

I just hope it's not too late!

To those on Standing Rock that have preservered on this issue through so many setbacks- a big thank you!

This issue is not over yet, and i have a feeling the tribe cannot risk not letting the people not vote. It would be political suicide. And if they do vote and approve the name what would this do to Kelley and the SBoHE. Boy did they ever jump the gun. Oh and the offical timeline ends in under 6 months (11-30-2010)

Thank you to all the people that have been in touch with Mr. Archie Fool Bear. He is confident that there are enough "yes" votes on the tribal council at Standing Rock to get the vote of all tribal members to keep our Fighting Sioux name, logo and identity. Remember, this is our first step, so please keep strong and offer any support you can to keep our name! Get everyone you know involved since we are in a huge fight against this politically correct minority. Let's show everyone what the majority can do! ONCE A SIOUX, ALWAYS A SIOUX! Go FIGHTING SIOUX!