SiouxSports.com Forum

Griz vs UND Sept 7

Nodak78

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

Montana has some fantastic athletes. If Bergen is playing…he should/will have a big day.  With und having constant special teams fails ….Mr Bergen will eat und up in that facet alone.  He will undoubtedly be the difference maker if he plays.  Just an incredible athlete with vision, speed and misdirection. 

Their D looks very fast!  

If und isn’t able to run on them efficiently it could be a long night. Not seeing the passing game doing much at all ?  

Mr. In-game-brain- freeze bubba seems  to always win one game a year that puts the “maybe und has turned the corner” mindset back into the fans.   Could this be that game?   Not sure what the alerus magic is but there’s always one game….even if und is out classed athletically, yardage difference is a fail …etc….they win. C’mon bubba ….have an out of body experience Saturday !  Earn that one game extension $!!! Hope it can happen because the joy seeing a well or decent coached team ends there . Back to reality the following week with eye gauging calls. 

Should be a fun atmosphere being the first home game, night game and playing a perennial strong team that has an fcs name. 

Finally .   If you can go …go!  Have fun and be annoyingly loud !   Bubba can’t excite the team but the fans can.  They need get amped from somewhere.  The 12th man!  

Bubba always seems to beat the best and lose to the rest.  That's why I think he wins Saturday.

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

His record against NDSU and SDSU supports your theory

Bubba is not the solution; fortunately, UND football is much more than just Bubba Schweigert. Still need to move past Bubba ASAP before real progress can be made.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, AJS said:

Tickets have been released. A lot of work to do before game time. 

Just checked again, not sure if when I checked yesterday that was just a glitch, but those "released" tickets are now not available. 

Just listened to the 360 podcast. Very complementary towards Montana, who no doubt is a great team, but after listening to that, it sounds like we're about to play a team in the running for the FBS college football playoffs. 

12 hours ago, siouxweet said:

So of the 37 straight home openers won is Montana the toughest to date?

looking at the previous home openers it is the toughest by far.  The Griz played in the championship last year and are ranked #4 right now.  this opener will not be like playing Drake...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

Disclaimer: We all agree with everyone's assessments on Bubba. 

Can we talk about the game on Saturday? It's crazy to see that Bubba has completely broken a large part of the posters on here. Given the uncertainty of the off-season, I cannot emphasis enough how big of an opportunity this team has on Saturday. 

Can’t do much about Bubba now,

‘enjoy the season, it’s fair game to call out any coaching blunders during the season 

I’m pleasantly optimistic about the year 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

His record against NDSU and SDSU supports your theory

He did beat NDSU last year (in case you forgot).  I'm not saying Bubba wins every big game but he does have his moments, usually followed by a bunch of questionable moments.

15 hours ago, Kab said:

Has anyone in Grand Forks seen any marketing for this week's game?

Not really no. I think if anything, UND should be promoting the hell out of the football team. They should be all over the new facilities for football. The Hawks have seven home games this year. That's a pretty big deal. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Just checked again, not sure if when I checked yesterday that was just a glitch, but those "released" tickets are now not available. 

Just listened to the 360 podcast. Very complementary towards Montana, who no doubt is a great team, but after listening to that, it sounds like we're about to play a team in the running for the FBS college football playoffs. 

They aren't that good no but they were in the national championship last year

9 minutes ago, Goon said:

Not really no. I think if anything, UND should be promoting the hell out of the football team. They should be all over the new facilities for football. The Hawks have seven home games this year. That's a pretty big deal. 

Agree!! I haven't see much promoting going on either. Questionable to say the least

• Upvote 3

I guess this is more on the line than most of the previous 37 games.  Other than our GPA it's about all we got......

UND has won 37 straight home openers, last falling in Grand Forks in a home opener in 1986 at the hands of Texas A&M-Kingsville (67-44). That streak — the longest active streak in the country — will be put to an epic test against No. 4 Montana, the national runner-up in 2023.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Bubba always seems to beat the best and lose to the rest.  That's why I think he wins Saturday.

2023- #6 Ndsu.   49-24
2022 - #7 Missouri st  48-31

2021 - didn’t have that one big signature win this year but bubba went back into bubba mode in the 4th qtr vs #5 Ndsu  and loses 10-16.  Und should have never lost that game 

2020- #3 sdsu.   28-17

2019- #9 Montana st.  16-12

2018- #22 Montana.  41-14

2017- zero 

2016- #17 Weber st 27-19

2015- FBS Wyoming.   Even though Wyoming ended up being horrible it was unds first FBS win 

2014- zero 

2013- zero 

These were all great wins that should have catapulted und. Momentum swingers.  Think we all know by now that they didn’t.  

This weekend I feel could be one of those games 

• Upvote 3

An example of how or why early season polls do kind of matter, if we beat Montana in a close game, my guess is they are still ahead of us in the polls. Although since the did struggle a bit last week....maybe they drop further than I think. If they won last week by 20 but we beat them, they would probability still be in the top 10 and we would not. 

4 hours ago, Hawkster said:

He did beat NDSU last year (in case you forgot).  I'm not saying Bubba wins every big game but he does have his moments, usually followed by a bunch of questionable moments.

In case you forgot, you said, and I quote, “Bubba ALWAYS seems to beat the best…” 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

An example of how or why early season polls do kind of matter, if we beat Montana in a close game, my guess is they are still ahead of us in the polls. Although since the did struggle a bit last week....maybe they drop further than I think. If they won last week by 20 but we beat them, they would probability still be in the top 10 and we would not. 

Might move up a spot if we win

5 hours ago, Goon said:

Nope. No time. Too busy promoting "One More Shift". :silly:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3