SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Non-UND FCS Thread

The Sicatoka

33 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

They aren't employees until the NCAA passes something where they can actually pay athletes until then they aren't so they shouldn't be allotted the same freedoms as coaches.   Feeney probably isn't as good as he thinks he is and there is probably a good reason why he didn't play that much.  If Simon beat him out that really says something. 

And this is what would’ve lead to the athletes unionizing if that way continued.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

How much nil was dangled to bison football players for this season?

Grey Zabel was offered "life changing money" according to reports from the Fargo Forum.  Izzo and Kolpack/McFeeley also talked about it on the podcast in the off-season.  Decided to stay and play with his brother.  

23 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Do you have a full understanding of how restrictive the ncaa was under the prior rules? Do you understand that athletes literally did not own their own name, image and likeness? 
Would you be ok with someone using your face and/or name to make money off of you without you getting compensated for it?

Why are defending one of the more corrupt and inept institutions we have in the US? the NCAA

NIL is a complete joke.   These kids aren't being marketed just a way to pay these players.  

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

NIL is a complete joke.   These kids aren't being marketed just a way to pay these players.  

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

The vast majority of NIL deals are for small amounts of money with athletes signing local advertising deals for a few thousands bucks. The average NIL deal in a study done was under 3k.

Prior to the new rules, athletes were held hostage by their scholarship while people make literal billions off of them.(see the study done of the value RG3 brought to Baylor university during his heisman run)

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

The vast majority of NIL deals are for small amounts of money with athletes signing local advertising deals for a few thousands bucks. The average NIL deal in a study done was under 3k.

Prior to the new rules, athletes were held hostage by their scholarship while people make literal billions off of them.(see the study done of the value RG3 brought to Baylor university during his heisman run)

Where are we seeing these kids in ads?  The only one I have seen in this neck of the woods is Cam Miller doing mattress commercials.   I don’t see any UND football or hockey players in ads let alone smaller sport athletes. 

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Where are we seeing these kids in ads?  The only one I have seen in this neck of the woods is Cam Miller doing mattress commercials.   I don’t see any UND football or hockey players in ads let alone smaller sport athletes. 

It’s 2024, TV and print advertising isn’t the pinnacle of ad spend.

Get on TikTok and learn about collaborative marketing. 

12 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

I’ve seen 5 UND  athletes do a commercial for a credit union

one each from men’s and women’s basketball, one from football. One from hockey and one other that I’m not sure what sport she plays

i just assumed it was a NIL deal 

As much I’m not a fan of some of his antics, even a situation like Phoenix Sproles has created for himself on TikTok wasn’t possible even 5 years ago. 

Monetizing your social media and your own brand is outside of NIL, but an example of how the NCAA owned these kids and wouldn’t have allowed this to happen.

I also heard Gronowski got a 7 figure offer to leave SDSU after last season. Not sure who he got his advice from but at his age to decline that money was well.....flatout stupid. He looked slightly better Saturday night than the QBs at the Alerus that afternoon. He needed to grab that bag after last season plain and simple.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I also heard Gronowski got a 7 figure offer to leave SDSU after last season. Not sure who he got his advice from but at his age to decline that money was well.....flatout stupid. He looked slightly better Saturday night than the QBs at the Alerus that afternoon. He needed to grab that bag after last season plain and simple.

Having 6 NFL players carry you is something a player/parent should not ignore.  He isn't even an all-conference player this year.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Mark was trying to play the long game. Stay at SDSU, dominate the fcs, be a mid round draft pick. Guaranteed money by taking the FBS offer but a lot more risk when talking about draft stock. Looks like his plan has completely back fired. He’s not playing for free though. SDSU finds a way to pay their guys. I know Tucker Kraft was making a lot more than your average NIL deal

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Cam Miller did something with Dr Pepper. Some other NDSU guy too. 

At this level, it's all gonna be small stuff. But the NIL stuff at FBS is wacky 

10 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Do you have a full understanding of how restrictive the ncaa was under the prior rules? Do you understand that athletes literally did not own their own name, image and likeness? 
Would you be ok with someone using your face and/or name to make money off of you without you getting compensated for it?

Why are defending one of the more corrupt and inept institutions we have in the US? the NCAA

I agree that the NCAA is a money whore and corrupt.

But I also think college free agency is not the answer.

In the near future there will be collective bargaining thereby all but ending amateur athletics. I foresee pro teams getting farm teams like MLB.

This will squeeze out lots of players and teams.

just my opinion

On 10/14/2024 at 10:36 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Herder's love for NDSU remanifests. 

That guy is a severe NDSU homer. He rants and raves about NDSU's practice facility; I tweeted to him that he might need to visit UND when phase three is finished. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shep said:

I agree that the NCAA is a money whore and corrupt.

But I also think college free agency is not the answer.

In the near future there will be collective bargaining thereby all but ending amateur athletics. I foresee pro teams getting farm teams like MLB.

This will squeeze out lots of players and teams.

just my opinion

I agree. 

It’s interesting that football is the only major sport that doesn’t have a viable alternative path to a professional league beyond being an ncaa athlete. Hockey, baseball, basketball(Europe/G league) all have additional paths. Football needs to adapt, there are hundreds of kids on college football teams right now that are only enrolled in college because they have to be. They just want their shot at the nfl.