SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

Do Johnny Brodzinski‘s point total from Juniors vs College next.

Has UND ever had a player who put up middling numbers in the USHL, but then surprised everyone & became a scoring dynamo like Brodzinski at the collegiate level?

I really liked last year's roster last off-season, because I had heard good things about Pyke and Zmolek.  

Once again, I think next year's team is going to be very good.  (If Blake had returned, it was going to be in powerhouse territory.)  Subtract some difference makers at forward, but add some as well, with the returners all hopefully stronger, faster and wiser.  You can construct an awfully potent top nine with that list of players.

There are three returning defenders that are already very solid, and the four new additions all sound ready to contribute.  Goaltending seems at least solid.

At least at forward, next year might be the last chance to contend for a little while.  There are a bunch of important players playing out their eligibility, and a few younger guys who may get pro offers.  It's a "win now" year.

29 minutes ago, .357 said:

Has UND ever had a player who put up middling numbers in the USHL, but then surprised everyone & became a scoring dynamo like Brodzinski at the collegiate level?

Maybe oshie but that was a limited sample size.

13 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Most of those lists have both North American and European/Russian skaters.

I ask because if it's an NA only list, double it (projected 20th goes 40th). 

3 hours ago, MGsioux said:

Not even close UND has 8 titles and many on this board have seen them win many of those titles as fans.  The vikings last I checked haven't won one.  So no comparison at all 

I agree with you, but I also think @Kab made a valid point. Postseason flameouts are becoming the norm and it is starting to grate on people.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Goon said:

This guy looks legit. 

IMG_0637.jpeg

We shall see, age is on his side for sure. His production from juniors to college is odd. I do know the AHA schedule is really bad and RIT has been a heavy hitter lately. But again, age is on his side, hopefully he can come close to those numbers in the NCHC.

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We shall see, age is on his side for sure. His production from juniors to college is odd. I do know the AHA schedule is really bad and RIT has been a heavy hitter lately. But again, age is on his side, hopefully he can come close to those numbers in the NCHC.

Proven and consistent, yeah, not NCHC and we love to toot that horn. 

I expect him to be Cam Berg 2.0 in terms of production for us. 

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah RIT's strength of schedule was rated 53rd this past season (as per CHN) so I'd be happy if he ends up being a 20-30 point guy in the NCHC. Let's just hope he can win some D-zone draws unlike the rest of our team the last month of the season. 

4 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Yeah RIT's strength of schedule was rated 53rd this past season (as per CHN) so I'd be happy if he ends up being a 20-30 point guy in the NCHC. Let's just hope he can win some D-zone draws unlike the rest of our team the last month of the season. 

Agreed that pt total would be good. If he can match his total from last year….that would be great 

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2024 at 2:47 PM, Oxbow6 said:

If he gets to UND as a first round draft pick as a center BB plays him as top 6 as a center. Not a wing. Not a 3rd center. Let him cook! Don't bury him behind portal guys or 5th year guys.

Really want to give this a closer look.

I don't believe Berry's issue is he puts too much emphasis on the regular season. I do believe, what @Oxbow6 is pointing out here is his issue. We can find examples every year where Berry favors Age / low ceiling over Youth / high ceiling. Next year's Freshman class will have it appears 4 pretty high-end guys (Boisvert / Swanson / Emery / Strathmann). 

Boisvert / Swanson (Top 6), I'd like to see Emery as the 1st RHD. In October / November, would there be safer plays? Of course. Jamernik / Wilkie probably will look better than Boisvert. Zmolek is a rock. What about in March?

We can all agree something needs to change. IMO, it's building a line chart in October that will maximize the talent on your team by March.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That's a legitimate critique:

Two near-equal talents, Blais would always play the younger, less experienced to see if it'll grow further. 

Berry plays the older experienced (safe) option, see: Albrecht, Senden, Hain. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I don't believe Berry's issue is he puts too much emphasis on the regular season. I do believe, what @Oxbow6 is pointing out here is his issue. We can find examples every year where Berry favors Age / low ceiling over Youth / high ceiling. 

So UND's uninspired/lack-of-energy play the last few weeks of last year can be attributed to not playing high-ceiling guys enough throughout the regular season?

40 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

My top six

Mclaughlin/Berg/ Perron/James/Boisvert/Swanson 

third shut down line  Jammer/Wilkie/strinden

I'd rather a top nine (expected to score) and a grind. 

DU had 11 guys with 30+ points; UND had 4. 

The mindset needs to be more than "up one with 20 to play is good enough". 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, .357 said:

So UND's uninspired/lack-of-energy play the last few weeks of last year can be attributed to not playing high-ceiling guys enough throughout the regular season?

No, but that wasn't the issue I was highlighting.

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

No, but that wasn't the issue I was highlighting.

You stated that you didn't think it was too much emphasis being put on the regular season (which maybe causing the team to peak too early), but rather a misuse of the high-ceiling talent we have.

I thought that was the argument you were making.