SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

52 minutes ago, AJS said:

They don't seem to have a choice. They do appear to have only 3 Freshman that are truly ready to go next year. Love Klee's upside and I think he'll have a huge year in the USHL, but I would send him back. Same with Littler. His development this year probably wasn't what anyone expected.

My ideal F roster, given where we are today.

SR. (5) Berg, Kunz, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Wilkie

JR. (4) James, McLaughlin, Montgomery, Strinden

SO. (1) Perron 

FR. (3) Boisvert, Croal, Swanson

Additions. (1) Depth Freshman Forward (2) Highest Portal SO / JR you can find

Doesn’t Littler have to come in?

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

No, Littler is an ‘04. The 03 birth year ages out this year.

Croal and Jubenvill ('03s) age out now; Littler ('04) a year from now.

The rest of the pipeline is '05s or younger. 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

How do you think he was lowballed? He held all the cards but his cards are not exactly strong enough. He is a 4th round pick who had a banner year, if he comes back and struggles then he either takes a lower offer from them and no guarantee that he sees the NHL right away or lets his draft rights expire and become a FA and get even a lower amount with no guarantees. At least with this deal, he burns a year and hopefully gets NHL playing time.

I have a hard time remembering the USHL age requirements, so for my sake here they are:

Minimum Age and Maximum Age. The junior age group shall include participants who are at least sixteen (16) years of age and no older than twenty (20) years of age as of December 31st of the current playing season.

So @AJS is correct: '03 birth years age out of USHL eligibility; '04 birth years remain eligible for the upcoming season. 

UND's 2003 birth-year commits who were in juniors this past season:

• Cody Croal
  • Jayden Jubenville

UND's 2004 birth-year commits who were in juniors this past season:

• Cade Littler
  • that's it. Just Cade Littler. (Jaksen Panzer was an '04 too.)
  • Upvote 1

Blake got a great deal! Almost rookie max and basically burning this year. $2.7 million and he’s restricted free agent in just two years. Very good contract for a 4th rounder that developed into first round talent while at UND. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That doesn't mean it's going to work out like he thinks. He is now just a piece of meat to be used however the Hurricanes want. I would have held their feet to the fire and demanded a rookie maximum contract. He had all the leverage and he gave it away. He needs an agent that knows how to negotiate contracts.

I hope he is successful, but I am a skeptic at this point. He is not Jonathan Toews.

I don't believe he had as much leverage as you'd think. Remember, he is a 4th round pick and is on the smaller side (who gets knocked off the puck often) of NHL players. Sure, he could've came back and tried again but what if he would've had a down year or got injured? You think Carolina is going to sign him to a lot? Sure he would've been able to wait them out and let is rights expire so he could sign a FA deal but then he runs the risk of getting even less money.  

1 hour ago, dustnyou said:

Blake got a great deal! Almost rookie max and basically burning this year. $2.7 million and he’s restricted free agent in just two years. Very good contract for a 4th rounder that developed into first round talent while at UND. 

This. The important thing is they burned this year(signed him to 23/24 year), starting the clock to his next contract. 

He did well!  

Starting to take shape.
Projection based on current info:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SR - Berg, Kunz, Schmaltz, Wilkie
JR - McLaughlin, James, Strinden, Montgomery
SO - Perron
FR - Swanson, Boisvert, Croal, Littler/Klee
X - Portal

Defense (8):
JR - Zmolek
SO - Livanavage, Wiebe, Komzak, MacDonald
FR - Jubenvill, Strathmann, Emery

Goalie (3):
SR - Semptimphelter
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist

The New York Islanders, who selected Berg in the fourth round in 2021, supported Berg’s return.

“They were the ones who kind of said, ‘Just stay another year, then sign after next year,’” Berg said. “They said they like the spot I’m in and it’s too good (to change).”

Berg was UND’s top power-play threat, scoring a team-high nine goals with the man advantage. He also took a team-high 704 faceoffs and won 56 percent of them.

Two really good centers to start up the middle with Berg and Wilkie now.
I like the idea of putting OMac on the wing alongside one of those two after his faceoff struggles to close this season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Starting to take shape.
Projection based on current info:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SR - Berg, Kunz, Schmaltz, Wilkie
JR - McLaughlin, James, Strinden, Montgomery
SO - Perron
FR - Swanson, Boisvert, Croal, Littler/Klee
X - Portal

Defense (8):
JR - Zmolek
SO - Livanavage, Wiebe, Komzak, MacDonald
FR - Jubenvill, Strathmann, Emery

Goalie (3):
SR - Semptimphelter
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist

I just listened to Berry with Hennessy on KFGO and he said Boisvert might be a first-round draft choice. 

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I just listened to Berry with Hennessy on KFGO and he said Boisvert might be a first-round draft choice. 

Oh no!  Does that mean we have to send him over to Denver or one of the other elite schools?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

44 minutes ago, burd said:

Oh no!  Does that mean we have to send him over to Denver or one of the other elite schools?

Jest or not, in the context of the board... I chuckled.

Have yourself an up-mark for that.

1 hour ago, burd said:

No - it means that once again we got talent - Time for Berry to get it done.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Irish said:

No - it means that once again we got talent - Time for Berry to get it done.  

That’s good to know.  Reading back through these threads, I thought we were doomed when Blake left.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Now that Blake is gone, maybe our other forwards will step up and pick up the slack.

That's what I was wondering, if there is a tendency sometimes (unconsciously) for a team to sit back & let the star players carry the team offensively. Perhaps the team will put in extra effort up & down the lineup next year to get more balanced scoring now that Blake is gone.

• Upvote 1