SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He’s way better (and has a way higher ceiling) than the two players you mentioned. He’s the definition of a late bloomer. He’s grown quite a bit in the two years he’s been at UND. Pretty sure he’s listed at 5’11” now. When he was drafted he was like 5’7” 120. 

His O is so much better than many of the college players. He definitely has to play better D however. He’s a significantly better skater than Kawaguchi. 

What Blake is missing is a trigger man (hopefully that doesn’t bring up the getter setter whatever posters :)). But in all honesty…Blake needs an elite shooter with him. He’s going to be an elite robin as opposed to a Batman.

Kawaguchi was definitely not a great skater but neither is Blake. This is another reason why I don't think he is near NHL ready. You can really notice a not so great skater when they are tired and that is exactly when Blake shows he isn't a very efficient skater. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Kawaguchi was definitely not a great skater but neither is Blake. This is another reason why I don't think he is near NHL ready. You can really notice a not so great skater when they are tired and that is exactly when Blake shows he isn't a very efficient skater. 

Blake is a really good skater. Not necessarily a long power strider, but fairly quick and can play with super pace. He’s also ridiculously edgy. Kawaguchi was flat out slow.

13 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

He doesn't turn 20 until July.

Good to know. Either way, he’s playing college hockey next year I would assume. He was drafted two years ago. 

2024-2025

find some line combos and keep them and find chemistry 

no prevent defense , skate hard for three periods. 
Berry don’t put so much emphasis on the regular season, focus on post season. 
next season thread starts in April 

Get more padding for d men or let goalies stop the puck. Zmolek missing omaha series was huge and Pyke out for the regional was costly. Don't know if it's putting more focus on postseason but just staying healthy for postseason. 

53 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Berry don’t put so much emphasis on the regular season, focus on post season.

This is a bit of a dilemma for me. Should we as fans hope for a fourth place finish in the NCHC to set up a national title run? It seems like a false choice to me.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Blake is a really good skater. Not necessarily a long power strider, but fairly quick and can play with super pace. He’s also ridiculously edgy. Kawaguchi was flat out slow.

I agree he has great edges and is extremely shifty laterally but isn't overly quick in a straight line. He isn't blowing by anyone that's for sure. We can agree to disagree on this. Like I mentioned in my previous post, you can really notice Blake's inefficient skating when he is tired. He is really leaned over battling to stay upright. 

6 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I’m not saying forget about the regular season but don’t lazor  focus on it, prepare the team for postseason and playing their best hockey at the end of March and beginning of April. Don’t wear the team out chasing one. 

That’s the thing, I think UND has given guys plenty of time to come back from injuries and even got guys rest, especially after wrapping up league titles.  The problem I see, is they never regain the edge required to compete in the postseason after that.

17 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Throughout his career he gave up a number of softies.

All goalies will give up a few…felt his bad game was just at the worst time. He won the Richter and was UND’s all-time leader in career goals against and save percentage after all…I guess in my book that makes him pretty good. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, .357 said:

The question remains why UND in particular is affected by what could be be late-season mental fatigue, this year & others, compared to other teams. Watching Quinnipiac's first game this weekend they were flying all over the ice from start to finish; strong on the puck & never giving up on a play. Other teams are also going strong during the tournament & keeping the pedal to the metal. This contrasted with UND collectively shutting down for most of the third period against MI, like someone slipped sleeping pills in their Gatorade during the second intermission.

The baffling thing is, this lack of edge (if that's what it is) is affecting most of the team, not just a few players who may be burned out at the end of a long season. Going by recent years, maybe the team could start investing in a sports psychologist if they haven't already. UND has all the bells & whistles in REA to train & rest the body; maybe it would be wise to invest equally in the players' mental health to make sure they're locked & loaded between the ears come late March.

Exactly this

44 minutes ago, .357 said:

The question remains why UND in particular is affected by what could be be late-season mental fatigue, this year & others, compared to other teams. Watching Quinnipiac's first game this weekend they were flying all over the ice from start to finish; strong on the puck & never giving up on a play. Other teams are also going strong during the tournament & keeping the pedal to the metal. This contrasted with UND collectively shutting down for most of the third period against MI, like someone slipped sleeping pills in their Gatorade during the second intermission.

The baffling thing is, this lack of edge (if that's what it is) is affecting most of the team, not just a few players who may be burned out at the end of a long season. Going by recent years, maybe the team could start investing in a sports psychologist if they haven't already. UND has all the bells & whistles in REA to train & rest the body; maybe it would be wise to invest equally in the players' mental health to make sure they're locked & loaded between the ears come late March.

To be fair a lot of Hakstol's teams were like this to where they shut down in the third.  Blais' kept coming with their foot on the gas.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, .357 said:

Could it be that the stress of expectations on North Dakota is too much for some? It would honestly be understandable. Think about how those kids feel before every game and after every loss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2