SiouxSports.com Forum

A UND NIL collective

The Sicatoka

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

There are options for apparel with athletes from other sports. 

If available.  I tried last winter to pick up some items for a basketball.  Almost nil.  No pun intended.  That is a hockey store.  Sorry.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

If available.  I tried last winter to pick up some items for a basketball.  Almost nil.  No pun intended.  That is a hockey store.  Sorry.

The athletes have to sign on. And they just started it. 

Currently there are 7 football players, 1 soccer player, 4 volleyball players and 2 hockey players. 

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The athletes have to sign on. And they just started it. 

Currently there are 7 football players, 1 soccer player, 4 volleyball players and 2 hockey players. 

Awesome 2 hockey players and 7 football players and only photos of hockey.  Do you see my point.

On 4/19/2024 at 12:17 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

We have a huge alumni base, many of whom are fiercely loyal to their alma mater. We just need to make them aware of this thing and the importance of it. That means communicating with them better than we have communicated with Champions Club members, based on a few stories I have read on this forum.

We have never had as many alumni as the bigger schools in the NCAA. But we've always punched above our weight class in Division I hockey. I don't think NIL will be as big of a factor in FCS football and mid-major basketball, but even those sports will occasionally need NIL assistance.

I will say this: If we are not willing or able to raise the funds needed to really compete in FCS football and at a mid-major level in basketball, maybe we should move back down to Division 2. And no, I am not being hyperbolic either.

Is there maybe 10 FCS schools that are actually going to have enough donors to actually start NIL collectives? Maybe 20 total. UND wont have a problem with FCS football. Basketball and hockey will be hard enough 

On 4/19/2024 at 2:10 PM, Benny Baker said:

Depends on the sport.  Also, Memphis isn't P5 to begin with, either.

Exactly we are going to be competing with the big schools and their huge collectives in hockey. It will be hard for the 1883 collective to just pay for hockey let alone all sports. Football and l basketball will always have the problem of not being able to compete with the P5 and will continue to see guys hit the portal no matter what crumbs the 1883 collective can give them. Unfortunate truth. Hockey may be the only immune sport in the entire state that we won’t have elite transfers out ( plus we have already been dealing with NHL departures for decades).

26 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

I’ll buy a Boisvert jersey in a heart beat.

I’ll be interested to see if a player like that signs on.  They may, but international players have to be so very careful of making anything,  due to their being here on a student Visa, as opposed to a work visa. Violate the terms of the visa, and you could find yourself headed home. 

3 minutes ago, the green team said:

I’ll be interested to see if a player like that signs on.  They may, but international players have to be so very careful of making anything,  due to their being here on a student Visa, as opposed to a work visa. Violate the terms of the visa, and you could find yourself headed home. 

It seems that you are correct. That’s sucks.

11 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

I just looked at nodak651 post all hockey.  Show me 7 jerseys of footballs players 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/for-the-first-time-und-fans-can-purchase-merchandise-with-current-player-names

It is starting with 13 active UND athletes — hockey players Dylan James and Kaleb Johnson, football players Jack Teiken, Aidan Behymer, Ben Buxa, Caleb Olson, Riley Gerhardt, Jaden Norby and Hudson Flom, soccer player Athena McGinn and volleyball players Elizabeth Norris, Kennedy Nelson and Maddy Hornyak.

Carlson said it will soon expand. These are just the athletes who were the fastest at completing their paperwork.

Two men's basketball and two women's basketball athletes are expected to be added shortly.

UND athletes of all sports will have a chance to partner with the Sioux Shop. They will all be receiving the same contract offer. It will be a percentage of sales. So, the athletes who have higher-selling merchandise will earn greater profits.

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Is there maybe 10 FCS schools that are actually going to have enough donors to actually start NIL collectives? Maybe 20 total. UND wont have a problem with FCS football. Basketball and hockey will be hard enough 

Basketball is going to be awful at this level. Every kid who shows any ability at all is going to get offered pretty nice checks from mid/high major teams, and I don't see the Dakota schools raising enough money to keep kids around.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, the green team said:

Interesting point,  wonder if foreign born athletes could make the claim that NIL is discriminatory?

43 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Interesting point,  wonder if foreign born athletes could make the claim that NIL is discriminatory?

43 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

It’s  simply our nations rules for those here on a respective visa.  A non student athlete attending a school in the states is subject to the same restrictions as a student athlete on the same visa. 

I mean every one seems to want to bring litigation in regards to the NCAA, so I guess anything is possible,  but in this instance litigation would need to be brought by a non-US citizen against the Government and its laws.  It’s definitely different, at least to me.  Now, if student athletes are deemed employees eventually, then maybe international(s) could enter under a work visa? Thats a hypothetical, I haven’t even considered until I typed it. It’s a wild world now.