SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday Gameday: Denver at the Ralph part 2

cowboys5xsbs

Just now, brianvf said:

They swapped a lot of the personnel and where they're playing.
Instead of focusing on Gaber on the right side, they now put Owen and Berg (depending on unit) on the other side so that there's an effective shooter on both sides for both PP units.  Now teams can't just load up the right side to take away the Gaber shot from his office.

It’s so awesome to have a plethora of options that can pick a corner. Gaber, Blake, Berg, OMac. You can’t stop them all

• Upvote 2

The boys seem to have taken a sudden step forward.  I don't know how they managed to conjure this speedy, defensively solid identity all of a sudden, but keep it going, and you can hang some banners.  Looked great this weekend.

Great weekend to pick to travel back to North Dakota. The boys put together a very entertaining weekend of hockey and getting the sweep was a huge bonus. 

Denver is a very skilled team that moved the puck very quickly, but the defense came to play this weekend. Holding Denver to just 4 goals is a massive improvement. 

PXL_20240128_023443385.jpg

• Upvote 4

Pretty amazing that Denver has 10 freshmen and is the second youngest team in the country.  Man was I ever looking forward to them slipping when Monty left, but looks like I'm going to have to wait for Carle to go to the bigs for my next shot.  I imagine his WJC gold got some attention up there.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Don't jinx us. :wink:

It’s what this fanbase does consistently, say how bad of a team we are one weekend, then say we will hang another banner the next.  The bottom line is they have to get on a hot power play streak like they are in right now when we hit the tournament games.  This weekend just helps us gain the confidence, and hopefully the positioning to make some noise in the postseason.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jk said:

Pretty amazing that Denver has 10 freshmen and is the second youngest team in the country.  Man was I ever looking forward to them slipping when Monty left, but looks like I'm going to have to wait for Carle to go to the bigs for my next shot.  I imagine his WJC gold got some attention up there.

It depends on how many of those guys leave early in the coming years.

1 minute ago, tnt said:

It’s what this fanbase does consistently, say how bad of a team we are one weekend, then say we will hang another banner the next.  The bottom line is they have to get on a hot power play streak like they are in right now when we hit the tournament games.  This weekend just helps us gain the confidence, and hopefully the positioning to make some noise in the postseason.  

My comment was meant as tongue in cheek, but I agree with you.

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

It’s what this fanbase does consistently, say how bad of a team we are one weekend, then say we will hang another banner the next.   

It’s part of what makes us so fun to be around.;)

I have to give credit to Kunz, not because he scored and not because he's a billboard in front of the goalie.  He seems to have caught up to the game.  I don't know whether he's using his frame and reach better or what it is exactly, but he's coming away with the puck more often.  He obviously doesn't have the quickest first step on the team, but he seems faster as well.  A memory of Goren flashed through my head at one point Friday.

2 hours ago, jk said:

Denver is the place to be for a kid with a full ride. The Monty connections are probably still there as well.

5 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

If that was a bulldog player, he’d still be writhing in pain trying to draw a major.

They would have had to open the roof and life flight him out of there.

*still would have been out on the ensuing power play.