SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

JMO because of the portal we see:

A small town North Dakota kid trade what would have been a legacy career of being a four starter at his Flagship University in his home state. Like Kleinsasser, a lifetime example of state pride for his hometown. Instead that legacy is lost and he will be a footnote at an out of state school.

I understand that money was probably involved. That money will be gone in a few years. I understand he has the chance at hitchhiking onto a national championship, tough to argue that. However, it is proven that if you have talent for the next level they will find you. 

Yes, they make their choice and do what they think is best for themselves at the time. No ill will here.

There are few opportunities to become legends in your home state. Those that are, are legends because they stayed.

I like this perspective. I have had some conversations with the family over the years. So when something like this happens, of course I'm going to get nosy. From what I understand, the kid loved his Coach Pawlek. When the coach left, Borud was a for sure leave. Hagen wanted to try stick it out. Local kid, big family close etc. But the new hire was admittedly a 'quick hire'. Hagen thought his development was being slowed down during spring ball. The interview with Dom said he had the what-if conversation with his parents. Maybe he jumped ship too early and didn't give the new coach the old college try. But, he's 20. He probably has big dreams. Did he think he was better than FCS? IDK. Does he sacrifice his development to become a legend?

But, looking at the big picture. He was recruited during Covid with no other offers. Farm family kid going to a non-ag business school. At the end of his football career, he will go back to the farm. SDSU will give him the agriculture education he will use for life on the farm. As far as money, a full ride was offered. Nothing else more...other than some perks like a free meal from local restaurants.  I know it looks bad for UND, but I don't really blame the kid. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, EmJay said:

I like this perspective. I have had some conversations with the family over the years. So when something like this happens, of course I'm going to get nosy. From what I understand, the kid loved his Coach Pawlek. When the coach left, Borud was a for sure leave. Hagen wanted to try stick it out. Local kid, big family close etc. But the new hire was admittedly a 'quick hire'. Hagen thought his development was being slowed down during spring ball. The interview with Dom said he had the what-if conversation with his parents. Maybe he jumped ship too early and didn't give the new coach the old college try. But, he's 20. He probably has big dreams. Did he think he was better than FCS? IDK. Does he sacrifice his development to become a legend?

But, looking at the big picture. He was recruited during Covid with no other offers. Farm family kid going to a non-ag business school. At the end of his football career, he will go back to the farm. SDSU will give him the agriculture education he will use for life on the farm. As far as money, a full ride was offered. Nothing else more...other than some perks like a free meal from local restaurants.  I know it looks bad for UND, but I don't really blame the kid. 

Thanks for your insight!! There is more to life than football!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, EmJay said:

For me - being recruited with no other offers - would reason #1 why I’d stay.  They believed in him and gave him a shot when others didn’t.  For me that would deserve some loyalty in return. I know it’s not done that way much anymore 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

For me - being recruited with no other offers - would reason #1 why I’d stay.  They believed in him and gave him a shot when others didn’t.  For me that would deserve some loyalty in return. I know it’s not done that way much anymore 

The position coach left the school.  I think it is perfectly natural to look around.  He found a fit with two coaches he previously worked with in Rouse and Freund and the school offered programs that applied toward his interests.  He gave the new coach a chance and it wasn't a fit.  He was respectful to the program when he left.  He completed an interview in the largest media market in the State.  He was thankful for the opportunity.  I don't understand the issue.  It's change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FSSD said:

The position coach left the school.  I think it is perfectly natural to look around.  He found a fit with two coaches he previously worked with in Rouse and Freund and the school offered programs that applied toward his interests.  He gave the new coach a chance and it wasn't a fit.  He was respectful to the program when he left.  He completed an interview in the largest media market in the State.  He was thankful for the opportunity.  I don't understand the issue.  It's change.

He certainly can do whatever he wants and good for him. My statement was how I’d see it and what I think I’d do.  Whether in college or in a job after college. 

• Upvote 4

I fear for all these players future employers!!

I also will not be cheering for any UND players that came to UND through the transfer portal. They show 0 loyalty and that is not something that I can support. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I also will not be cheering for any UND players that came to UND through the transfer portal. They show 0 loyalty and that is not something that I can support. 

Hugs all around.  Unless it’s the head coach or AD…….than burn the ships.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just gonna sit back and watch college athletics implode into something unrecognizable.  Then have idiots blame the NCAA and AD's for it.  But at least the kids got their bag for a few years.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Just gonna sit back and watch college athletics implode into something unrecognizable.  Then have idiots blame the NCAA and AD's for it.  But at least the kids got their bag for a few years.  

Apparently young men that are left behind by their man-crush coach now have the right to do whatever they want.  Newsflash, successful bosses and CEOs (most times) are not your friend.  I don't think these man crushes are healthy.  Man-crush Pawlak but fall into Danny's arms, got it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, GoodGood said:

Some of you get so butt hurt over 20 year old kids doing what they think is best for their life. 

It's being older than you and understanding situations through life experience.  We will see how it works out overall but yah these little moves aren't a big deal for the player.  It's a macro view.  

• Upvote 2

Young people think this is great and more than warranted.  Older people can see the bigger issues at the same time. Two ways to look at it.

I do think colleges are going to see their alumni base slowly erode for a variety of reasons. Older people aren't interested anymore and loyalty among recent graduates at an all-time low.  These kids that jump schools aren't gonna be giving back like the old days.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

So, your saying if a UND player from the portal (ex: running back) is running fifty yards for a touchdown against NDSU, SDSU, etc.. you would not be cheering for him to score?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Apparently young men that are left behind by their man-crush coach now have the right to do whatever they want.  Newsflash, successful bosses and CEOs (most times) are not your friend.  I don't think these man crushes are healthy.  Man-crush Pawlak but fall into Danny's arms, got it. 

You are assuming a lot about what will happen to these players in the future. Most of them will turn out just fine.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You are assuming a lot about what will happen to these players in the future. Most of them will turn out just fine.

I guess man-crush is a trigger and some here need a coloring book and safe space.  I think most can see my posts are laced with humor and sarcasm.  On a completely serious note, I am saddened with the direction of college FB and UND being one of the have-nots that can't compete in this environment.     

9 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I guess man-crush is a trigger and some here need a coloring book and safe space.  I think most can see my posts are laced with humor and sarcasm.  On a completely serious note, I am saddened with the direction of college FB and UND being one of the have-nots that can't compete in this environment.     

I don't like the trends either and it is not sustainable in the long-run.

• Upvote 2

I don't know how you build a program having the Transfer Portal.  UND Football and MBB feels like a Minor League Program.  Only chance at success is if you catch lightening in a bottle and everyone overachieves in the same year and choose to "run it back" as the kids say.  Otherwise the kids that are developing and getting success are leaving for greener pastures.

1 hour ago, hockey1 said:

So, your saying if a UND player from the portal (ex: running back) is running fifty yards for a touchdown against NDSU, SDSU, etc.. you would not be cheering for him to score?

Yes, I don't see how I could!!

All I would be thinking about as that player is running into the endzone is how much I fear for his future employers and how he had 0 loyalty to his previous school. Why wouldn't he do that to UND as well?? That is something that I cannot support.

The lack of loyalty is ruining college athletics and deteriorating my love for UND!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Some of you get so butt hurt over 20 year old kids doing what they think is best for their life. 

My problem isn't with the Student-Athletes, it's with the NCAA and their horrible mismanagement over the decades.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My problem isn't with the Student-Athletes, it's with the NCAA and their horrible mismanagement over the decades.

The NCAA has been very clear with their amateur model.  They obviously didn't want to change it.  All these schools should break away and do their own thing then.  Simple

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

I highly doubt the 20 year olds care what someone on a message board thinks about their decision.  

3 of you get so butt hurt over people not wishing all the luck in the world to someone choosing to go play somewhere else. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Yes, I don't see how I could!!

All I would be thinking about as that player is running into the endzone is how much I fear for his future employers and how he had 0 loyalty to his previous school. Why wouldn't he do that to UND as well?? That is something that I cannot support.

The lack of loyalty is ruining college athletics and deteriorating my love for UND!!

Screw Employers. In the end most of them really don’t give a damn about their employees . In corporate America I’ve come to a conclusion that a worker really needs to worry about themselves because at the end of the day we are all just a number no matter how irreplaceable you think you are. I have never regretted taking a new position after getting a new boss that sucked. I’ve also never regretted not taking a new position because of who was in the management hierarchy. The days of staying loyal to a company for more than a couple years is a thing of the past!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3