SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So when is this max exodus supposed to happen? Portal has been open for 3 days……

So we end up losing one underclassman to the portal????  I thought some of you were FB experts…….

Well I did stay at a holiday inn express last time 

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So when is this max exodus supposed to happen? Portal has been open for 3 days……

So we end up losing one underclassman to the portal????  I thought some of you were FB experts…….

Guilty. Happened to me two years ago as well. Ultimately, here's my thought, a school like UND absolutely cannot sustain big hits to the portal. Easy to overreact when it seems like there's no end in sight. Feels like we're close to being out of the weeds for those entering. If the numbers stay at what it is, I'll call this year's exits a mild success. 

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bubba? Fire?

We have efforted and received video from that speech ... 

eeyore-14h0x6tq0egvpjnk.gif

I get it and have been right with you.  Just telling you what I have heard and hoping for a turnaround.  Coaching staff isn’t going anywhere, so hoping a shakeup in mentality is there.  Without a mass exodus, the players apparently have much less discontent than Most of this blog does.  I am Glad to see we don’t have too many key players going into the portal.  Now we need to pick up some instant help in multiple positions on d and an o lineman or 2 and see if the message was actually received and efforts being made.  I still struggle in evaluating whether the individual talent on d was that bad or our schemes were atrocious.  I don’t think individual talent can explain our third and long results over and over again…

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

Guilty. Happened to me two years ago as well. Ultimately, here's my thought, a school like UND absolutely cannot sustain big hits to the portal. Easy to overreact when it seems like there's no end in sight. Feels like we're close to being out of the weeds for those entering. If the numbers stay at what it is, I'll call this year's exits a mild success. 

Like I said, three Covid year guys, two low minutes guys, a junior with a degree already, and Ocansey. 

If that holds that's more than managable. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Three reasons to go into portal:

- someone whispered in your ear (likely Kilty) 
- you're rolling the dice, seven or snake-eyes (and many who don't expect it get the snake)
- a quiet exit from playing

I think one other reason is guys who want more playing time or an O or D scheme that may offer more opportunities for someone with their skill set. (TE who wants to be part of a passing game or a WR who feels they can stretch the field or get open on crossing routes).

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Three reasons to go into portal:

- someone whispered in your ear (likely Kilty) 
- you're rolling the dice, seven or snake-eyes (and many who don't expect it get the snake)
- a quiet exit from playing

Four reasons

- "Mutual" decision between parties. Thank you, but we need to either improve our situation at this position, or we have others that need more playing time. I put mutual in quotes, because these situations would be dictated by the program

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I think one other reason is guys who want more playing time or an O or D scheme that may offer more opportunities for someone with their skill set. (TE who wants to be part of a passing game or a WR who feels they can stretch the field or get open on crossing routes).

Along with that, a player who is buried on the depth chart and just wants playing time. 

On 12/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, AJS said:

Take a look at who the Coaches are following on social media, and you'll see many potential targets. Things need to move quickly no doubt. My best guess is Monday - Wednesday they'll see who enters as well as vet. Offers start on Thursday.

Let's see if today is the day!

50 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

I get it and have been right with you.  Just telling you what I have heard and hoping for a turnaround.  Coaching staff isn’t going anywhere, so hoping a shakeup in mentality is there.  Without a mass exodus, the players apparently have much less discontent than Most of this blog does.  I am Glad to see we don’t have too many key players going into the portal.  Now we need to pick up some instant help in multiple positions on d and an o lineman or 2 and see if the message was actually received and efforts being made.  I still struggle in evaluating whether the individual talent on d was that bad or our schemes were atrocious.  I don’t think individual talent can explain our third and long results over and over again…

Our DL couldn't get to the QB and the DBs lost almost every jump ball challenge throughout the season.  I'm not saying they're incapable, but they were often in a position to make a play that wasn't made this year.  Hopefully another offseason of weights and a bad taste in their mouth from the way the season ended is enough, along with some scheme changes, to cut the 3rd and 20+ conversion rate under 15% next year.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Talent wise is was clear we weren’t fast enough on the edge. Imagine those third and longs with Turner coming off the edge instead of what we had this year. That’s probably a 2 game swing right there and we’re still playing.

I'm not football genius when it comes to scheme, but if we didn't have the speed, wouldn't it have made sense to overload an edge and bring more pressure from time to time? Bring in a corner or safety? I get that if you don't get to the QB you're likely giving him a more open target, but I'm not sure how often I ever saw us send that extra pressure ... and they seemed to convert deep anyway.

Old data from 19-20 and 20-21 from Football Scoop in a Transfer Portal article.  I have seen numbers like 40% in the past.

"And only 36 percent of FCS transfers find a Division I school willing to take them, period."

I looked up Sam Robertson who left UND via the portal for Northern Illinois.  I don't think he saw the field for NIU and played at Iowa Western this year.  Not sure if he's committed somewhere else yet. 

• Like 1

If we stick with what we have in house at OLB it’s gonna be another long year on the defensive side of the ball. I like what I have seen from Rucker but nothing else excites me in that room.

Are we counting on our young guys at DE? I’d imagine we would have to bring in a couple of safeties as well. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

If we stick with what we have in house at OLB it’s gonna be another long year on the defensive side of the ball. I like what I have seen from Rucker but nothing else excites me in that room.

Are we counting on our young guys at DE? I’d imagine we would have to bring in a couple of safeties as well. 

I could see improvement from Pettigo and McNealy. I like Rucker, but if he's 200 lbs I'd be surprised. Looks more like a CB than LB right now.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Old data from 19-20 and 20-21 from Football Scoop in a Transfer Portal article.  I have seen numbers like 40% in the past.

"And only 36 percent of FCS transfers find a Division I school willing to take them, period."

I looked up Sam Robertson who left UND via the portal for Northern Illinois.  I don't think he saw the field for NIU and played at Iowa Western this year.  Not sure if he's committed somewhere else yet. 

He was good. Should have come back 

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Talent wise is was clear we weren’t fast enough on the edge. Imagine those third and longs with Turner coming off the edge instead of what we had this year. That’s probably a 2 game swing right there and we’re still playing.

Talent is not only issue. The team I saw on Oct. 14 would still be playing in the playoffs also. But they couldn’t capture lightning in a bottle, due to piss poor coaching and leadership, once again.

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Robertson has offers from UNC Charlotte, Austin Peay, UMass, UT Martin, Lindenwood and Samford

45 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Talent is not only issue. The team I saw on Oct. 14 would still be playing in the playoffs also. But they couldn’t capture lightning in a bottle, due to piss poor coaching and leadership, once again.

Yada, yada, yada, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc., etc., etc., blah, blah, blah, wash, rinse, repeat.  Good grief.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3