SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

3 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

So the NCAA can make billions off the kids, but then the kids can’t be paid because they aren’t “professionals”??? That makes literally 0 sense. 

And best part for the NCAA and Schools is they still aren't paying athletes to make them money.

So no one answered my question: how much money does UND have for NIL? What group, non-profit?, is advertising for and collecting funds? 

The Minneapolis paper says PJFleck is looking for someone with $1M for the NIL fund for his new QB…whomever that will be. Other colleges are offering up to $2M for QBs.

So that is how NIL has changed college sports. Wonder why Tommy entered the transfer portal? Why Bison are entering it?

All this talk of new coaches, recruiting, and facilities needs $$$$$. Someone posted we need to clean house from the ground up. At first I was offended (somewhat). When I see these dollars floating around, I wonder.

9 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

So no one answered my question: how much money does UND have for NIL? What group, non-profit?, is advertising for and collecting funds? 

The Minneapolis paper says PJFleck is looking for someone with $1M for the NIL fund for his new QB…whomever that will be. Other colleges are offering up to $2M for QBs.

So that is how NIL has changed college sports. Wonder why Tommy entered the transfer portal? Why Bison are entering it?

All this talk of new coaches, recruiting, and facilities needs $$$$$. Someone posted we need to clean house from the ground up. At first I was offended (somewhat). When I see these dollars floating around, I wonder.

We don’t have one

ndsu does

chaves is on record saying he wants to sit back and watch. Then think philosophical about whether we need it or not

How much total NIL money would it take our UND for all sports?

I don’t see the greater GF area able to raise that kind of money 

so you raise  money for a QB but not the rest of the offense?  Good way to piss off some players 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wow, a lot of "We just can't do it" thinking here.

No wonder we can't build our non-hockey Division I programs, the "can't do" mentality prevents us from getting past square one.

The "sit back and wait" approach won't work in this environment.

I don't want to become the next Northern Colorado.

Welcome to Grand Forks. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Kab said:

How much total NIL money would it take our UND for all sports?

I don’t see the greater GF area able to raise that kind of money 

so you raise  money for a QB but not the rest of the offense?  Good way to piss off some players 

You could do it like the green and gold collective and have a lot of players in the pool but not so much $$$ to go around.

some collective are favoring men’s sports and some are including women’s . Lawsuits have already started to happen even though not sure what foot they have to stand on legally. Collectives are not bound by title IX

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Kab said:

Hear their is an emergency meeting tomorrow of Fargo team makers to discuss raising money for NIL

there are 3 bison that have been offered 6 figure nils to transfer according to Izzo  

Miller is probably one of them, really turned around his play since the UND game. I’m sure the others are o line and maybe a guy on the defense

NDSU trying to chase the money isn’t going to end well

18 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Miller is probably one of them, really turned around his play since the UND game. I’m sure the others are o line and maybe a guy on the defense

Speculation is that’s it’s Miller, Kopp, Wisnewski, and Zabel. JMO, but I don’t think we see any guys entering until the season is over. 

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Don’t mean to move the conversation in a different direction, but genuinely curious if the NIL “world” has been a major influence in hockey yet.

For the elite of the elite players, yes. Overall, no.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

If it becomes a major influence will UND be positioned well to stay as competitive as they’ve been?

I think so. I’m not worried about it at all. Facilities are still #1 in the country, Alston / FCOA is $10K a year. They’ll always be fine. 

52 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Completely agree. It’s not sustainable to do year after year. One other layer I didn’t think of, which might also be an issue is it would set a potentially dangerous precedent. A starter who would get interest (maybe not high / middle P5), but low P5 / high G5, might see that and push for more $ or he’ll enter. A guy that previously wouldn’t have. 

If those NDSU rumors are true, I’m fascinated to see it play out. Selfishly, I hope they chase it.  

18 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It’s not going to be a major influence at FCS or even G5.   It will be a factor, but not a factor like the very top.

The top ones will enter the portal if and when they become that good

53 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It’s not going to be a major influence at FCS or even G5.   It will be a factor, but not a factor like the very top.

I was asking specifically about hockey, but I disagree that NIL won’t be a major influence at FCS or G5. The best players at those levels will continue to be poached every year from the big boys with even minimal amounts. FCS will be significantly diminished in its talent level in my view as a result.