SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

51 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Maybe D) second offensive play of the game for UND down 7-0 and Romfo keeps the ball and loses a yard on a hard hit by Moestart. I think that may have made Romfo a little hesitant to hold onto the ball and if he isn’t running he is not going to beat a good team.

Hey do you stutter much.  :D

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

To be frank, there are second and third string quarterbacks from FBS programs that are much better than anything we have, and they just want their chance. 

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Tommy Schuster

:blink:

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don’t have the personal sample to comment. I had heard he was the most consistent one though in fall camp which is why he won the job.

Fruechte explained the whole evaluation process. More consistent, accurate and more explosive plays, regardless of whether it was with the 1's, 2's, 3's or 4's.

He also said part of his current accuracy issues are him trying to make the short throws off his toes instead of just trusting himself to do it. Work in progress that they are fixing in live action that isn't happening in practice.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

:blink:

Yeah, the backup QB at Michigan State who will gone next year.  He has more pass attempts than our QB that is supposedly raw but has the higher ceiling than our starter.  Michigan State is starting their redshirt freshman QB that has a higher ceiling - to develop him.  UND doesn't even give our young backup snaps when they have the opportunity.   I was comparing the two situations because they are similar in many ways, and because we happen to know MSU's backup QB.  Not sure what your point is... :blink:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

We prefer ALL of our quarterbacks be 6'1" or below.  Winning formula

I don’t care if they are 5’11” or 6’2”. I care about whether they can read a defense, audible when necessary, get through their reads, have a quick release, get the ball to the receiver on their break or as they get into the seam against the zone, can escape the rush, and run the ball to effectively. If those guys are 6’ 2” or taller great, but 5’ 11” or 6’ is tall enough. It’s hard to see over linemen even when you are 6’ 3”. QB’s need to move and find the “throwing lanes”.  I was surprised over the years when I stood next to NFL players including QB’s how many were 2-3 inches less than their listed height.

Before the “squad” downvotes and points out the obvious, I agree the 6’3” 220lb QB who can do all of the things listed would be better, but most of them are at FBS schools. When we get them, we need to be able to develop them. I’m not so sure we have done a good job of developing them, and we as fans haven’t shown the patience that is required to get guys to the level where they can care a team and win games for us. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah, the backup QB at Michigan State who will gone next year.  He has more pass attempts than our QB that is supposedly raw but has the higher ceiling than our starter.  Michigan State is starting their redshirt freshman QB that has a higher ceiling - to develop him.  UND doesn't even give our young backup snaps when they have the opportunity.   I was comparing the two situations because they are similar in many ways, and because we happen to know MSU's backup QB.  Not sure what your point is... :blink:

Was nothing to do with your post other than I was going jokingly point out we had one of those current backup P4 guys on our roster the last few years and then happened to see your post with his name on it. 

• Upvote 1

NDSU and SDSU seem to have no issues at all finding tall athletic QBs that can extend drives with their feet and execute designed runs.  Smaller guys can’t drag anybody or fight for yards or withstand a lot of hits

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

NDSU and SDSU seem to have no issues at all finding tall athletic QBs that can extend drives with their feet and execute designed runs.  Smaller guys can’t drag anybody or fight for yards or withstand a lot of hits

Lots of 5’ 11” guys at all levels are able to do that effectively but I get your point.  

We have had big athletic QB’s and if they have struggled early, especially when our oline can’t give them time, they get crucified on this board. Some of these guys need 2-3 years.  It obviously helps to play behind a veteran, skilled QB, but I don’t think we have done a good job of developing our QB’s. Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

Lots of 5’ 11” guys at all levels are able to do that effectively but I get your point.  

We have had big athletic QB’s and if they have struggled early, especially when our oline can’t give them time, they get crucified on this board. Some of these guys need 2-3 years.  It obviously helps to play behind a veteran, skilled QB, but I don’t think we have done a good job of developing our QB’s. Just my opinion. 

I think this is evident and it is a coaching issue. Will be interesting to see if that changes.  I wonder if the conservative nature of our staff perhaps seeps into recruiting where maybe we are too focused on high floor guys vs high ceiling guys. 

Here is my take on the QB situation if the fall of 2024:

Fall camp, Romfo was probably the most consistent, got guys in the correct formations, had a better completion percentage, his passing looks pretty good, did well when put with the 2's, 3's, ad 4's.  He had more experience so would be normal for him to have a better command of the offense (more experience than Jerry anyway but not Feeney) Fruechte gives Romfo the starting job.  Live games, Romfo is anything but consistent and I think has had 1 turnover in ever game so far, skipping passes off the turf.  Think he has skipped a pass off the turf in every game but one. 55-58% completion percentage for the year so far and just hasn't looked good.  Probably not was Fruechte was expecting out of him, but he already made the decision and doesn't want to appear wishy washy and make a change.  If he could take a time machine and go back, would he still have made this decision, we will never know as he would never say. But he made his decision and is sticking with it apparently.  I don't think it's totally fair to assume Jerry is not very good because Romfo beat him out, I still expect good things out of Jerry if he is ever given the chance.  He may have more top end speed than Romfo after watching him run down the sideline alongside Smith.  

I'm not sure if it's Fruechte that is the stubborn one and not getting Jerry more live reps, or if it's Bubba.  If Jerry is around next year, I think he gets the job and does well and we wonder what the heck we were doing in 2024 with him on the bench.  Everyone loved Pawluck (sp) however his first year he had our OL LOSE weight, that was a big mistake and he obviously figured that out as he had them gain it all back the next year.  Good coaches can and do make mistakes.  I like Fruechte, but he's not above making a mistake and/or the wrong decision.  I could certainly be wrong about all of this, but this is how I've felt for a couple of weeks now.  It's worth noting....I have not ridden my bike by practice all year. :D

I will add Fruechte may truly believe Romfo gives us the best chance to win, because he is the safe choice.  But after six games and putting up 13 points total  against Iowa St. and NDSU, I'd be ok rolling the dice and not being so safe.  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree. Fruechte is great hire. Would like to see him succeed Coach Schweigert

You are definitely in love with Fruechte, but after 6 games and an offense that scored 13 points total against Iowa State and NDSU....not sure if we should automatically want to anoint him as the next head coach. I like Fruechte though, but it's too early for that.  Have agreed for a while though that we do need a new HC to get us to the next level, so it's not that I don't think we need a change. 

6 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

You are definitely in love with Fruechte, but after 6 games and an offense that scored 13 points total against Iowa State and NDSU....not sure if we should automatically want to anoint him as the next head coach. I like Fruechte though, but it's too early for that.  Have agreed for a while though that we do need a new HC to get us to the next level, so it's not that I don't think we need a change. 

Sorry, no love for anyone, just my observations. Coach Freuchte has brought a much needed outside perspective, as did Coach Olson. Still a lot to be determined, namely quarterback development and recruiting, but the offensive scheme and play-calling has been overall good thus far. 

As for head coach, that job has a different set of job expectations than a coordinator job, obviously. It’s an apple to oranges comparison, really. However, for the sake of argument, what has Bubba Schweigert - a “defensive” coach - brought to UND’s defense? UND’s defense is easily the weakest unit on the entire team, and has been for years. 

But to my point, from a head coach perspective, would like to see better leadership and preparedness of the team in road games, for sure, but also big games. Bubba vocalized it during most recent press conference, but the response by fans was fair: it’s been 11 years so why is he now just providing lip service towards his awful road record and record in big games? Seems like he looks to appease whatever narrative will keep him in somewhat favorable graces with his bosses. 

Nonetheless, a lot of season left. Will be interesting to see if this team ascends during the second half or pulls a 2023 and descends (which in my opinion would then lead to the whole “change of direction” discussion again come December). 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Size (namely height) is a metric used in the evaluation of quarterbacks; has been for years. Is it a hard rule? Of course not, as there’s been several “smaller” quarterbacks who’ve been successful due to intangibles and athleticism, but this is an overall exception to the rule that you’d like to have quarterback(s) with certain size parameters if possible.

To your earlier point, in addition to this, UND also needs to do a better job developing quarterback. Current OC/QB coach hasn’t even had his job for a year yet, so still to be determined what QB room will look like a year or two from now for UND. 

As a fan I hate bye weeks :crazy: But as a team I know we need them. Hopefully then can work some things out and get healthy. May have to try and catch parts of couple of the other FCS games this weekend. Will be interesting to see how UNI does against USD, Im thinking at least a 3 score win. Idaho at MSU could be a good one. 

On 10/7/2024 at 10:36 AM, Dustin said:

Maybe the reverse of last year will happen.  Instead of a blowout victory over NDSU leading to a collapse, the blowout defeat will be a turnaround.  Lots of things in UND's favor yet: a bye week at a strategic time, weak road opponents, high profile home games.  Still hoping for 9-3 (or better).

Wow...if only I was wide-eyed, 17 and drinking the GOOD Kool-aid again...