SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

11 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Yes, I get it. The whole conversation just baffled me. 

Jack Wright departure hurts a bit.

From what little I've seen, read and heard this fall, Deng Deng is raw but instinctually has veteran tendencies, is super freakish athletically and has clearly benefitted from Bo's presence. It will be hard to keep his shirt intact this year -- especially given what's ahead of him on the depth chart and the new math in college football where NIL and loose portal rules means you may not have a gifted player for more than one year anyway.

Here is where I rank the WRs after watching them in person:

1. Bo (pre season All American)

2. Deng (true freshman)

3. Tai (red shirt fresh)

4. Dennis (junior)

5. Kupfer (junior)

6. Keegan (true freshman)

7. Hakim (redshirt fresh) 

8. DeMontagnac (junior)

9. Klein (senior)

10. Strandell (soph.)

11. Schaffner (junior)

12. Poncelot (red shirt fresh)

13. Gross (red shirt fresh)

Dennis is the clear #2 in my book. 

If a guy who started many games last year is #8 this year, to me that means have some pretty good depth.You definitely can argue the quality of that depth though. Sounds to me like 8 pretty reliable guys, however no proven playmaker other than Bo. I recall that from last year too about Nate, he started the first half of the year but I don't think he had a catch until like game 6 or something.  We need some playmakers....I'm totally good with letting some of the younger guys get in there to see what they can do. Dennis was supposed to be our speed guy, but we haven't actually seen that much out of him. Maybe QB with stronger arm this year will change things a bit....we'll see.It would be nice if Deng is finally the guy with size,  speed, and athletic ability that we've been looking for....and the type of WR's we've hated to play against in the past. 

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Every year people try and talk about how deep our wr group is only for them to struggle to create separation against good teams. What is different about this year exactly? I still see way too many white boys in that group. 

Maybe they don't identify as white ... we could be crazy good if that's the case! ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Dennis is the clear #2 in my book. 

I've never been overly impressed with Dennis to make him a clear #2. I like him and he has made some solid catches and taken some big hits like a dude, but I've heard for a few years about his speed, but still haven't seen any serious separation or deep threat.

Honestly I probably like Klein more when he is health. Big, hard to defend, catches anything within his massive wingspan.

Really excited for the potential of Tai or Deng. Hope someone can really breakout and be a difference maker.

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I've never been overly impressed with Dennis to make him a clear #2. I like him and he has made some solid catches and taken some big hits like a dude, but I've heard for a few years about his speed, but still haven't seen any serious separation or deep threat.

Honestly I probably like Klein more when he is health. Big, hard to defend, catches anything within his massive wingspan.

Really excited for the potential of Tai or Deng. Hope someone can really breakout and be a difference maker.

With you on Klein. Hoping he's a go to guy in the red zone.

20 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if we go 4 wide on the first play against iowa ag college...

bo

deng

tai

hakim

jerry would be happy

I agree. This is a talented but young receiver group. But honestly, UND fans better get used to it. No more senior-laden receiver groups, unless you want to be one-dimensional offensively. Receiver is one position group that can contribute immediately (as freshmen), and in this day and age of college football, it will happen a lot for UND. The good ones will be gone after year 1 or year 2 to greener ($) pastures. Enjoy Deng, Tai, and Hakim while they’re here. Bo Belquist is an exception to the rule, not the norm. He had opportunities to leave, but local ties kept him here. Hopefully OC can utilize the talent and will not prioritize seniority. Bubba’s old school “development” approach scares me- he’ll have to adjust or continue to be a 0.500 coach.  Development has been questionable at best for UND of late, but new facilities could help tremendously.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree. This is a talented but young receiver group. But honestly, UND fans better get used to it. No more senior-laden receiver groups, unless you want to be one-dimensional offensively. Receiver is one position group that can contribute immediately (as freshmen), and in this day and age of college football, it will happen a lot for UND. The good ones will be gone after year 1 or year 2 to greener ($) pastures. Enjoy Deng, Tai, and Hakim while they’re here. Bo Belquist is an exception to the rule, not the norm. He had opportunities to leave, but local ties kept him here. Hopefully OC can utilize the talent and will not prioritize seniority. Bubba’s old school “development” approach scares me- he’ll have to adjust or continue to be a 0.500 coach.  Development has been questionable at best for UND of late, but new facilities could help tremendously.

I think we are WELL past that point.  That change would've come in 2018

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I think we are WELL past that point.  That change would've come in 2018

The offensive coordinator post-2018 was the WR coach in 2018 and prior, so it has all really been the same under Bubba at wideout.  Agree with @geaux_sioux earlier point. Need more talent out wide and need to better balance it with the running game and offensive line. QB will bring it all together and that is a major ? for UND going into 2024.

We’ll see what the offense looks like week 1-3 and go from there. I anticipate the defense will continue to be outmatched so up to new OC and OL coach to work their magic.

17 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I want average receivers and an awesome OL

Don’t disagree there. This is absolute necessity for championship football. @The Sicatoka credited for this statement on numerous occasion, and he’s right. And to just throw in another source, here’s the most recent FBS national championship coach:

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Don’t disagree there. This is absolute necessity for championship football. @The Sicatoka credited for this statement on numerous occasion, and he’s right. And to just throw in another source, here’s the most recent FBS national championship coach:

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/N8pWDmBoc2w

I taught him well.  :huh:  :lol:

• Upvote 2

UND ranked #24 in the FCS poll. I think that’s where we belong right now. Even with our turnover in the off season we are still a better team than the teams unranked. Need to put this new talent in the field and see what we got!

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think he has been disadvantaged by sharing snaps but I see his clutch-ness being key outlet for these young QB’s while all the attention is on Bo. He reminds me of a young Bo that is only getting better. 

18 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND ranked #24 in the FCS poll. I think that’s where we belong right now. Even with our turnover in the off season we are still a better team than the teams unranked. Need to put this new talent in the field and see what we got!

If UND provided the players with an EV and Lockhhed Martin stock options would Bubba have a top 10 team? Or does that come when Phase 7 is complete?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

South Dakota fans wanted the coach fired

he got an extension and now a top tier team, who would have thought that

can bubba do that this year 

44 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If UND provided the players with an EV and Lockhhed Martin stock options would Bubba have a top 10 team? Or does that come when Phase 7 is complete?

Bubba’s defense is the reason UND is not a top 10 team, hasn’t been the same since Eric left. Fix that and UND is back to a top 15 team even with a young team.

13 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Bubba’s defense is the reason UND is not a top 10 team, hasn’t been the same since Eric left. Fix that and UND is back to a top 15 team even with a young team.

Major defensive improvement likely won’t happen with Bubba/Schwenzfeier combo. Those guys were besides themselves trying to sort out Sac State in the long-awaited home playoff game, and you could smell something burning throughout the Alerus as they tried to think of defensive solutions. 

BUT … IF better players (says every single coach in America) 

54 minutes ago, Kab said:

South Dakota fans wanted the coach fired

he got an extension and now a top tier team, who would have thought that

can bubba do that this year 

I have my doubts about South Dakota still….

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I have my doubts about South Dakota still….

Agree. I think they will be good....just not as good as they are being touted right now though.  They got throttled by NDSU at home once NDSU was on a roll. They also got beat at home by 34 against SDSU. Think need to pump the breaks just a little on USD. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2