SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

I don’t think any quarterback will pass the grade here on this board. Yes,  Romfo has had difficulty at passing but  After first couple games he didn’t have arm throw ball deep then he hit several deep balls but nobody gave him credit for that. Then it has been bouncing the pass but from my observations some of that has been he was pulling the pass from possible pick and likely pick 6. The truth is he is learning from new offensive coordinator and learning his reads on defensive coverages. I think from what I see coaches haven’t lost faith and I haven’t seen it from the team. 

Jerry may have resume, but evidently he is not ready to be starting quarterback  and everyone forgets he is red shirt freshman that was fourth last year on depth chart who would not got a lot reps until this past spring and fall practices  and was still 3 on depth chart. If Trey had stayed Jerry still would still be 3 on the depth chart. But getting back coaches are ones the people making decisions and they know where players are at if they’re ready to play we need to accept this. The quarterback play is also dependent on offense working at all phases which has not happened.

• Upvote 3

I am perfectly fine with Romfo being the starter this year and next year as long as the team is still playing well under him.  Nothing wrong with learning the system for a couple years then starting his Junior year.  If he beats out Romfo next year, so be it.  He will get his time.  It will be worth the wait.

11 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

So you would have passed on him? 

We are talking about next year at this point. He couldn’t even beat out Romfo this year, why would he be the answer next year?  A transfer QB needs to be recruited over the winter

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I don’t think any quarterback will pass the grade here on this board. Yes,  Romfo has had difficulty at passing but  After first couple games he didn’t have arm throw ball deep then he hit several deep balls but nobody gave him credit for that. Then it has been bouncing the pass but from my observations some of that has been he was pulling the pass from possible pick and likely pick 6. The truth is he is learning from new offensive coordinator and learning his reads on defensive coverages. I think from what I see coaches haven’t lost faith and I haven’t seen it from the team. 

Jerry may have resume, but evidently he is not ready to be starting quarterback  and everyone forgets he is red shirt freshman that was fourth last year on depth chart who would not got a lot reps until this past spring and fall practices  and was still 3 on depth chart. If Trey had stayed Jerry still would still be 3 on the depth chart. But getting back coaches are ones the people making decisions and they know where players are at if they’re ready to play we need to accept this. The quarterback play is also dependent on offense working at all phases which has not happened.

@gfhockey this your cousin or what? lol

image.gif.746561c33204bce4956945d98f7187ee.gif

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

We are talking about next year at this point. He couldn’t even beat out Romfo this year, why would he be the answer next year?  A transfer QB needs to be recruited over the winter

Next year he’s gotta beat out Sulik too btw. Heard they like him a lot.

• Upvote 2

We're at the halfway point, coming off a bye week. Simon up to this point, has not passed the eye test. I'll call that something that is universally agreed upon by the fanbase. Let's all agree that Simon clearly won the job out of Fall camp and the coaches believe he is the best option up to this point to win games. 

Next three games will tell the story. If Simon does not improve drastically, then how he looks at practice does not matter, there will be a large enough sample size to determine he cannot be the QB next year. Start working in Jerry to see if he's potentially the guy next year. Let's let this play out at least a few more weeks before we get too excited.

44 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He had a clear path to the job and failed bad in fall camp. They gave him a fair shot and he fumbled the bag. Should he have played more in a few games this year? Absolutely. But he didn’t take care of business on his end and that’s why he’s backing up a guy nobody even had on their radar.

All true!

More so talking about during the season and giving him a shot in live game action. Because as we have all seen from our starter, how they perform in practice doesn't necessarily mean anything or have a correlation to how they'll perform in games.

Maybe Jerry is a gamer? Unfortunately we'll never know.

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

All true!

More so talking about during the season and giving him a shot in live game action. Because as we have all seen from our starter, how they perform in practice doesn't necessarily mean anything or have a correlation to how they'll perform in games.

Maybe Jerry is a gamer? Unfortunately we'll never know.

I don’t disagree about during the season. At this point I don’t see how we’d have all that much of a loss at the qb position if they just had Jerry start. Word out of fall camp is he was one hopping too many throws. Sounds familiar… so he could one hop throws and throw picks similar to Simon but maybe make a handful of plays each game that Simon can’t? That one stiff arm play already showed something more than what Simon can do. Easy to say from the armchair of course.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

He had a clear path to the job and failed bad in fall camp. They gave him a fair shot and he fumbled the bag. Should he have played more in a few games this year? Absolutely. But he didn’t take care of business on his end and that’s why he’s backing up a guy nobody even had on their radar.

Good take.
Also, getting a chance to compete for the job as a RFr is more than he would get most places. I think people are forgetting that he's been on campus for less than 18 months, not a whole lot of QB's who are seeing the field at that age. Also guessing the staff has set very clear expectations with him on what he needs to work on and that the QB is the same as any other position. Show you can do it better than the guy in front of you when the lights aren't on and you'll get your fair shot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You cannot replicate game conditions in practice.

So this 100% focus on what happens in practice is concerning.

Our backups (at all positions) need reps during actual games so they can be evaluated for what they do in actual games.

A glaring weakness of Bubba's - and he is nothing if not stubborn.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

The QB is the sexy position to talk about but until something changes with our defense it won’t matter much who’s starting. 

Ah, But Bubba is playing the long game with the defense - when the Bison return to the option we'll be ready with our 3-4.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kab said:

If Jerry leaves will he go to a d2 school like people say Trey will be doing?

So much speculation right now, I think very few probably know how good Jerry is or isn't, and/or could be. If Jerry hasn't been super impressive in practice,  I'm less concerned about him transferring. Unless he is transferring because he doesn't feel like he'll be able to step up, which I would guess he probably feels like he will be able to step up as he continues to grow and be in the system, and I still hope that is the case. I would also guess will recruit a QB in this next class as well, like we should every year. If we go after QB’S hard on transfer portal in off season, that will tell us a lot about what we've got. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

So much speculation right now, I think very few probably know how good Jerry is or isn't, and/or could be. If Jerry hasn't been super impressive in practice,  I'm less concerned about him transferring. Unless he is transferring because he doesn't feel like he'll be able to step up, which I would guess he probably feels like he will be able to step up as he continues to grow and be in the system, and I still hope that is the case. I would also guys we will recruit a QB in this next class as well, like we should every year. If we go after QB’S hard on transfer portal in off season, that will tell us a lot about what we've got. 

I wish Jerry nothing but the best

During  games I find myself saying put Jerry in, I would like to see what he can do but then I’m not at practice or film meetings 

most all other positions  are being substituted for all during the game

Even if Jerry isn't good enough to be a starter, I would think it's important to get the backup in-game reps in case the starter gets hurt..

Example.  Zimmerman was the backup in 2018 and only had two pass attempts.  In 2019, starter went down vs Drake, and Zimmerman was forced to start the second game vs NDSU with essentially zero game experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So now the geniuses have moved from wanting to see more of Jerry to predicting he will leave. All from the comfort of their Lazy Boy. It is not that difficult to get insights into players, but it requires actually going to tailgating and perhaps a road trip. I'm not going to share any conversations, but will say a lot of the conjecture here is laughable.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

So now the geniuses have moved from wanting to see more of Jerry to predicting he will leave. All from the comfort of their Lazy Boy. It is not that difficult to get insights into players, but it requires actually going to tailgating and perhaps a road trip. I'm not going to share any conversations, but will say a lot of the conjecture here is laughable.

The neurologist will be waiting for you in the blue tent!!

BlueTent.thumb.webp.b1fa63b6eaa1a03e084cd4ab8c7d235b.webp

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

All this bickering about who will one hop short passes on Saturday has be thinking this could be the week we finally see more of Tai and Deng. Perfect time for it imo.

It’s better to lose the right way than win the wrong way or something. This week better be a win.