SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

4 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

So bubba made that decision? What do we think of bubbas decision makings skills? It should be und connection. It should be experience and philosophy and energy

If all things are equal, you’re probably going to give the edge to your own. It’s the way it works in all industries. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Good resume…maybe better than the first one.

Hope the players give him a chance 

‘nice that they will be coached by him in spring practice 

will be fun to see how he brings the QBs along 

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

I think this is a nice hire:

U of Minnesota Player

Pro - Lions and Vikings

Stops at: Wisconsin La Crosse OC WR Coach, UNI WR Coach, Northern St - OC, Winona St - OC

No ties to UND, fresh blood into the system.  I like it.  Let's GO! 

If you put both resume's side by side and blank out the names, hands down Issac's has more depth.  Now he has to prove it.

I like how we baited SU into this one !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:46 PM, Und246 said:

Not a good look for Jake when it comes to character. I am not sure he would have been any good, but I am glad he is not joining our staff. Any form of commitment means nothing to him. Heritage and loyalties apparently mean nothing to him. I am glad he is in Fargo and not here. Time to move on. 

I'm not one to usually hope someone fails, but I really hope Landry fails and fails big. You just took a jump moving from the Pioneer League to the MVFC with UND and had a solid opportunity to make a mark in your hometown and your alma mater. That wasn't good enough, so you jump to your rival school within a week. I get wanting more money and a solid opportunity, but this move absolutely exposed a major character flaw. My exact words when I read about this was "F*$% this guy". I'd take Danny back in a second, but Jake can F*%& off for good. Don't ever step a foot back on campus. Pretty damn pathetic. And I really REALLY hope he flops for multiple reasons.

I don't know much about the new guy, but best of luck to him. He accepted a job in a bad situation. Maybe he shows some serious potential, but I have no idea what could be next for him. God willing, Bubba is gone after next season, and we find a solid replacement. If so, best of luck to Fruechte, whether he be retained or not. Can't have any less integrity than Landry. My hope is that he is our "Pat Shurmur of the Vikings" ... Understand what your best tools are and play to their strengths ... Don't ask your offense to be something they aren't.

UND should be embarrassed they let this happen.

NDSU should be embarrassed they are poaching unproven coaches from a rival school.

Landry should be embarrassed for being a POS, but in my experience POS people are never embarrassed.

• Upvote 2

On 1/27/2024 at 8:12 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Definitely appears that way now. The situation is so horrid for UND football right now that UND alums are ditching Bubba left and right for conference rivals. This is an indirect reflection on the horrible state of UND football, and both Bubba and Chaves are to blame, although some “supporters” likely enabled this a few years ago by sticking their neck out for the “good guy” Bubba. I think everyone can “see clearly” now. You can’t run a program when even the most diehard UND/Grand Forks guys are willing to abandon ship. The house absolutely needs to be completely cleaned out: Culture reset.

I get so sick of the "Good guy" mentality. I do like to have good people in a program and working with these kids, but I also don't want to cut my nose to spite my face. Bubba is a nice guy, but sucks at what he does. Thats the bottom line. He is a defensive coach with a terrible defense. He can't retain coaches and he BLOWS AT DOING THE GRIDDY!

This program has take a nice step under his watch, but has clearly stalled out. Move on and move up. As you said "Culture Reset". Good luck with recruiting next season ... who would want to step into this dumpster fire.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I get so sick of the "Good guy" mentality. I do like to have good people in a program and working with these kids, but I also don't want to cut my nose to spite my face. Bubba is a nice guy, but sucks at what he does. Thats the bottom line. He is a defensive coach with a terrible defense. He can't retain coaches and he BLOWS AT DOING THE GRIDDY!

This program has take a nice step under his watch, but has clearly stalled out. Move on and move up. As you said "Culture Reset". Good luck with recruiting next season ... who would want to step into this dumpster fire.

Are you a UND football fan??

15 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Appears the two final candidates were very close, like his leadership and professional background and regional roots. If the only tipping point for Landry was his UND Legacy that has been severly damaged. 

That’s not the only tipping point. New guy has no FBS coaching experience, and minimal division 1 (FCS) experience. I’m not expecting 2024 to go great for UND, but ultimately, I have no idea what to expect out of the new offensive coordinator. Winona State didn’t exactly light it up last year. We will see…

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Are you a UND football fan??

I'll retract the can't retain coaches comment, because that is not all on him. There is certainly a financial component, but I do think Freund saw the direction of the program and made a call. The Landry problem is more on Landry. Any other coaches that left were position coaches that were looking for more money and more opportunity.

And of course I'm a football fan. My point was how do you recruit with all of this uncertainty. Kids and their families aren't stupid and given what has transpired over the past month or so, I'd be a little hesitant to commit.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

His picture looks like he borrowed a jacket, ... and shirt, and tie. 

"If you don't have one, buy one. Can't afford one, borrow one from your old man. Don't have an old man, find a drunk, and trade for his. Cause I guarantee you, there ain't a bum on the street that looks as raggedy and ridiculous as what I'm looking at." ;):D

Herman_Boone.webp

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not one to usually hope someone fails, but I really hope Landry fails and fails big. You just took a jump moving from the Pioneer League to the MVFC with UND and had a solid opportunity to make a mark in your hometown and your alma mater. That wasn't good enough, so you jump to your rival school within a week. I get wanting more money and a solid opportunity, but this move absolutely exposed a major character flaw. My exact words when I read about this was "F*$% this guy". I'd take Danny back in a second, but Jake can F*%& off for good. Don't ever step a foot back on campus. Pretty damn pathetic. And I really REALLY hope he flops for multiple reasons.

I don't disagree with any of the Landry discussion...but I will add one thing.  To most of us, NDSU is a "rival" school.  But Jake's generation of players never played NDSU.  So I think in that aspect of things us fans view "where he went" differently than he probably does.

I'm good with him making his choice.  I like that we got a seemingly ambitious young guy in his place who's willing to bet on himself in a one year type of "prove it" situation.  I also like that he has a combination of OC experience and Big 10/NFL Camp Body playing experience.  Besides...if it all blows up in our faces we reboot it all next year anyway...

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I don't disagree with any of the Landry discussion...but I will add one thing.  To most of us, NDSU is a "rival" school.  But Jake's generation of players never played NDSU.  So I think in that aspect of things us fans view "where he went" differently than he probably does.

I'm good with him making his choice.  I like that we got a seemingly ambitious young guy in his place who's willing to bet on himself in a one year type of "prove it" situation.  I also like that he has a combination of OC experience and Big 10/NFL Camp Body playing experience.  Besides...if it all blows up in our faces we reboot it all next year anyway...

I'd agree with this in most scenarios .... but Jake also grew up in Grand Forks. He should have been well aware of the rivalry even from the D2 days. Also, whether you consider it a rivalry or not, proximity plays a big factor. Then again, it sounds like he might not be the brightest bulb on the tree so who knows. My guess, is he just doesn't care.

Fair point on if it blows up we reboot it anyway. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That’s not the only tipping point. New guy has no FBS coaching experience, and minimal division 1 (FCS) experience. I’m not expecting 2024 to go great for UND, but ultimately, I have no idea what to expect out of the new offensive coordinator. Winona State didn’t exactly light it up last year. We will see…

Well for Pete’s sake…? FBS experience…what the heck is your pay scale? Maybe we should focus on a run through our own play offs first.

I like his resume and some fresh eyes on the team. I hope it works out.

• Upvote 2

How do you get experience at anything unless someone hires you?

give the guy a chance 

in a few years some may be bitching because he is real good and may move on 

• Upvote 4

I'm still a little numb from everything yet at this point and not really sure what to think. I don't feel as good about things as I did a day or two after Jake got hired, but that doesn't mean anything. He played in the NFL so he has obviously seen some things, does have OC experience. And like other have mentioned I like that he is confident enough in himself to take a shot at moving up even though he is only guaranteed one year.

He could end up being the better choice in the end, and I'm with the others that will be hoping Jake crashes and burns at SU. It would end up a bit funny if they ended up letting him go in 2-3 years and they would be kicking themselves for taking a UND guy. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Kab said:

How do you get experience at anything unless someone hires you?

give the guy a chance 

in a few years some may be bitching because he is real good and may move on 

Agree and I hope other higher level teams want him after a year or three

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'd agree with this in most scenarios .... but Jake also grew up in Grand Forks. He should have been well aware of the rivalry even from the D2 days. Also, whether you consider it a rivalry or not, proximity plays a big factor. Then again, it sounds like he might not be the brightest bulb on the tree so who knows. My guess, is he just doesn't care.

Fair point on if it blows up we reboot it anyway. 

I agree on this specific situation...and I also remember hearing those things about Jake when he was coming up.  Not sure that means much now...but regardless he's made his choice.  The grass ain't always greener...