SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

Are they still looking for another assistant women's basketball coach or are they go with present staff. I was thinking they might have idea of going with one less and using that money to improve pay scale on the existing coaches and fill in with graduate assistant to fill fourth coach or i am blowing smoke with this idea. It would probably would hurt us most in recruiting new players and to have extra time of coach working with players to help develop them.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Are they still looking for another assistant women's basketball coach or are they go with present staff. I was thinking they might have idea of going with one less and using that money to improve pay scale on the existing coaches and fill in with graduate assistant to fill fourth coach or i am blowing smoke with this idea. It would probably would hurt us most in recruiting new players and to have extra time of coach working with players to help develop them.

I'm sure someone is hired and just waiting for the official word.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had your outlook, but I don't, and you have said they knew who their replacement coaches were long time ago and you may have more inside knowledge than the rest of us. My memory of past teams and schools when things weren't settled early in the offseason this carried over into the season and before long whole season became disappointment. We are now sitting again two coaches short and were just few days away from August. August means schools starts in three weeks or less and following other schools this when things get ramped up with practices and start putting together the team and how they are going to play technically.  Now we have to hire at least one coach and assuming we have other already picked out still have to announce his hire and get him on campus. Then after they get here get on same page as Mallory and get to know the players and build some relationship in short period of time. This lack of time working with players means to me come end of next season we have possibility of losing number of players to transfer portal. 

This is why i am nervous at what's happening, to build a program you need stability and getting players and coaches buying into that system they are trying to build. Look at SDSU they have achieved this and if were to catch them we need to do the same thing. The loss of three coaches something is going on and my guess is that were not competing on salary basis. I may be totally wrong on this but to have all the assistants leave in one year is not good sign for the program and will be used against in recruiting and sure has effect on our players we have recruited in the past two years. I would like to hear point on this because you seem to have inside information most of do not have and very little from Mallory or Chaves on this. I look at school from the South their coach I have seen just recently updating what was going on in his program Dom Izzo show and I think he was on earlier in the summer too.

• Upvote 3

On 7/27/2023 at 7:56 PM, ND-fan said:

I wish I had your outlook, but I don't, and you have said they knew who their replacement coaches were long time ago and you may have more inside knowledge than the rest of us. My memory of past teams and schools when things weren't settled early in the offseason this carried over into the season and before long whole season became disappointment. We are now sitting again two coaches short and were just few days away from August. August means schools starts in three weeks or less and following other schools this when things get ramped up with practices and start putting together the team and how they are going to play technically.  Now we have to hire at least one coach and assuming we have other already picked out still have to announce his hire and get him on campus. Then after they get here get on same page as Mallory and get to know the players and build some relationship in short period of time. This lack of time working with players means to me come end of next season we have possibility of losing number of players to transfer portal. 

This is why i am nervous at what's happening, to build a program you need stability and getting players and coaches buying into that system they are trying to build. Look at SDSU they have achieved this and if were to catch them we need to do the same thing. The loss of three coaches something is going on and my guess is that were not competing on salary basis. I may be totally wrong on this but to have all the assistants leave in one year is not good sign for the program and will be used against in recruiting and sure has effect on our players we have recruited in the past two years. I would like to hear point on this because you seem to have inside information most of do not have and very little from Mallory or Chaves on this. I look at school from the South their coach I have seen just recently updating what was going on in his program Dom Izzo show and I think he was on earlier in the summer too.

Just my humble opinion: they cannot rush hirings just to fill spots, losing assistant coaches shows that UND is a building ground for coaching careers,

• Upvote 1

I did not say they should just rush to fill the coaching vacancy but i am concerned about it getting late in the off season to have this big turnover of personnel. I understand we will have turnover but to have major turnover in one year when we are in process of building this program to next level is my concern.  We had very good news today with transfer of Minnesota center of Oberg looks to be very good fill with our last roster spot and should fill weakness on the roster of giving us another big in the middle of the front court and she has experience at high level play.  Mallory must be working her behind off with all that's going on with program recruiting players and building coaching staff. I still believe they need to find personnel in next few weeks and then it's going to take a lot of extra work to get everyone caught up and ready for the beginning of the season.  I am excited to see this team play and develop this coming season because i think they have great deal of talent that could develop into something special because of how athletic their players are and now they have filled in some of the holes with transfers and new recruits.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DL Sioux said:

This is huge - he brought a lot of experience in recruiting and player relationships to the team - gotta say it reflects well on the administration to give a person another chance, but the situation hasn't changed at UND since he left (in that the head coach is younger than him and thus there really isn't an opportunity to move up at UND). 

3 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

This is huge - he brought a lot of experience in recruiting and player relationships to the team - gotta say it reflects well on the administration to give a person another chance, but the situation hasn't changed at UND since he left (in that the head coach is younger than him and thus there really isn't an opportunity to move up at UND). 

Neither Coach Mo or Coach Young are at Central Michigan anymore it appears. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 12:10 PM, CMSioux said:

Saw the Herald story and have since got a chance to talk to Coach Motherwell - he is back for his family and because of his close relationship with Mallory.  He said it actually went very well at Central Michigan especially recruiting. If anything I'd say he is giving UND another chance as opposed to administration giving him another chance.  Either way this is a coup by and/or good luck for Mallory.  It looks as though she/they are getting pretty aggressive recruiting again!

• Upvote 3

On 8/30/2023 at 11:15 AM, DL Sioux said:

Neither Coach Mo or Coach Young are at Central Michigan anymore it appears. 

Looked at Coach Young's Twitter account and he has recently re-posted a number of tweets from high schools thanking UND for showing up to open gyms.  Does anyone know if he still has ties to the UND program?   

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Looked at Coach Young's Twitter account and he has recently re-posted a number of tweets from high schools thanking UND for showing up to open gyms.  Does anyone know if he still has ties to the UND program?   

One can only assume he is still on friendly terms with everyone - he knew both Motherwell and the new assistant prior to coming here but know nothing otherwise to confirm it.  

Edited by Farawayfan

11 hours ago, Farawayfan said:

Saw the Herald story and have since got a chance to talk to Coach Motherwell - he is back for his family and because of his close relationship with Mallory.  He said it actually went very well at Central Michigan especially recruiting. If anything I'd say he is giving UND another chance as opposed to administration giving him another chance.  Either way this is a coup by and/or good luck for Mallory.  It looks as though she/they are getting pretty aggressive recruiting again!

Talked to him recently, very excited to be back and yes it was his move based on family first. Reality is he is head coach material so he will be on many lists but we will have him for awhile until his nest gets empty.