SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

I see Darion White from Montana State is in the transfer portal with year of eligibility left.  Not that were in great need of point guard right now, but she has been one of the point guards we have played against. Curious where she ends up landing. Has there been movement on the remaining scholarships we have left with signing of new players for next year.

15 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I see Darion White from Montana State is in the transfer portal with year of eligibility left.  Not that were in great need of point guard right now, but she has been one of the point guards we have played against. Curious where she ends up landing. Has there been movement on the remaining scholarships we have left with signing of new players for next year.

Haven't heard much yet, but I'm sure this will be picking up soon in the month of April. 

You may have seen that I wrote a bit of an epistle over on the FB thread.  I will not do so here but many of the issues I stated about UND fundraising, the recruiting challenges and dumb banter between members goes for BB as well.  I have done the Wiki for M & W BB and VB for the last few years.  Hopefully, someone will take over these duties.

I made the comment over there that you can "go to the bank" with what iramurphy has to say.  That goes for BB as well.  You can also be assured that SD UND knows what he is talking about.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Wonder if this is the direction UND will go to fill one of the spots

https://ncurams.com/staff-directory/leah-szabla/119

In Tom Miller's piece it looks like they want 10 years of experience?  Don't think she has that, but the other spot I wonder if she wants to leave being a head coach.  Curious how Mallory will proceed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This off season is not what I was looking to for this coming season we have lost two coaches and so far not replaced them. Especially with loss of Motherwell who was involved in number of our recruits these past couple of years. Now we have late off season loss of McCarthy who I thought was probably figured into next season rotation. Now we’re looking for two more players fill out our roster for the coming season. Has anyone heard if they are close to filling coaching positions. I see they have been busy with basketball camps but I got to believe it’s going to be hard tofind of coaches they have expressed as it getting late and another area of concern if they are putting financial commitment to getting what they are looking for. this is going reflect on this coming season I sure don’t want us to take step backwards but my gut feeling this is what’s going to happen as we stand today.

7 hours ago, ND-fan said:

This off season is not what I was looking to for this coming season we have lost two coaches and so far not replaced them. Especially with loss of Motherwell who was involved in number of our recruits these past couple of years. Now we have late off season loss of McCarthy who I thought was probably figured into next season rotation. Now we’re looking for two more players fill out our roster for the coming season. Has anyone heard if they are close to filling coaching positions. I see they have been busy with basketball camps but I got to believe it’s going to be hard tofind of coaches they have expressed as it getting late and another area of concern if they are putting financial commitment to getting what they are looking for. this is going reflect on this coming season I sure don’t want us to take step backwards but my gut feeling this is what’s going to happen as we stand today.

External hires take a little bit of time. I don't see the job postings anymore so I would expect an announcement coming fairly soon.
If you read the job descriptions, the requirements are usually tailored fairly specifically, they have people in mind. Let's see who the new hires are before throwing in the towel.

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

External hires take a little bit of time. I don't see the job postings anymore so I would expect an announcement coming fairly soon.
If you read the job descriptions, the requirements are usually tailored fairly specifically, they have people in mind. Let's see who the new hires are before throwing in the towel.

Yes UND takes a TON of time to hire external positions... I'm positive Coach Mal already had 2 people say yes before the interviews were scheduled.

It's June 12th... got a lot of time here.

• Upvote 1

My reason for concern is this is not last years team with a ton of experience coming back and we’re looking to develop our young talent  to play high level as team. I believe a lot of that happens in the off season. Second now we’re down two scholarship players and we’re still under sized to the other top teams in the conference. Coach Bernard is good coach but I also believe she needs assistants to help develop this team as well recruit new players.  We have some great athletes on this team but I also believe if we’re going to make the next level women’s basketball we need to also to be getting longer like SDSU has developed their team. I may be over reacting but most teams are pretty much set for this up coming season and they figuring out final things to be worked on but we need to get two coaches in place here hired and moved here. Also are we going to be down two scholarship players for year and hope we have no major injuries  that might effect us in season.  These are my concerns and reasons I have gut feelings we could step backwards but again I may be over reacting and totally wrong.