SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Off-season Recruiting

SD UND

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

The recent GF Herald article…Kraft said. "I've always been a (UND) fan and this is a dream come true."  Damn it’s nice to get players that have dreamed about coming here!

Kraft and Eaglestaff.  Eaglestaff is the glue to this team.

• Upvote 1

I hope we can put to bed about Sather as a coach.  He could recruit but the good ones left.  He couldn't coach because of record.  Made a huge run the end of the season.  Buckle up next year will be fun.  If you sturdier his career he developed his team.  A late hire and covid delayed the development.  UND has a winner. :D  

9 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Guessing you know someone else has signed.  Any hints ? Big man ? Former player ? 

He did say, "I think it will either be another 4 or maybe they go back to the drawing board and target some 5's." about the last scholarship remaining. Hoping this commit is a true PG as we already have a ton of wing players. And then the last scholarship can be used on whatever player they feel is best. 

13 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

He did say, "I think it will either be another 4 or maybe they go back to the drawing board and target some 5's." about the last scholarship remaining. Hoping this commit is a true PG as we already have a ton of wing players. And then the last scholarship can be used on whatever player they feel is best. 

I think they have already signed someone and its still under wraps...  

12 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I think they have already signed someone and its still under wraps...  

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Most of us thought we had 2 scholarships left. Now we signed someone but hasn't been released yet. I am hoping this signed player is a true PG. Then with the final scholarship available they can go after whoever they feel fits the team best. Whether that is another 4 or try go for a 5 man like SD had said in his pervious post. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

With all the good that has happened we still need a big man and true point guard? Seems like two pretty important missing pieces.

I think that we'll have enough length in other places to help make up for the lack of a true big man. Having Omot at the 3 and Deng at the 4 should help out with some sort of rim/paint protection. Sather and Co want to keep running with TT and Mathews. Make some adjustments with our base defense and how we defend things and I think it should be okay. 

If Trent can develop any sort of a jumpshot/get his confidence back over the summer that should be okay too. We don't have a legit backup PG though. King can play PG but isn't a true PG. Treysen can handle the ball but isn't a true PG. Trent is really all we have for a legit PG. Would be nice to have a PG to run the second unit, in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

So UND athletics thinks so much of local kids they only get to come as walkons.  

Not sure I understand the post... Do you feel like Kraft is a scholarship athlete at the D1 level at this time?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Not sure I understand the post... Do you feel like Kraft is a scholarship athlete at the D1 level at this time?

To me this seems more like a token jesture.  Happened in football as well with 2 GF kids.  If they aren't good enough for a scholarship they should go elsewhere.    These walk on offers mean about as much as a verbal commitment. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, siouxweet said:

To me this seems more like a token jesture.  Happened in football as well with 2 GF kids.  If they aren't good enough for a scholarship they should go elsewhere.    These walk on offers mean about as much as a verbal commitment. 

So walk on's are ok, so long as they are from outside of GF? Is Thompson ok? Fargo? What's the approved distance for a walk on?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Given how many Grand Forks kids have been on UND's basketball team in the couple decades, scholarship or not, it seems like the offer is pretty far from a token gesture.
Nothing was stopping him from taking a scholarship or PWO elsewhere either. Plenty of reasons to take the PWO, including betting on yourself to earn a scholarship.

Seems like you're insulting a whole bunch of different people with this take though.