SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Off-season Recruiting

SD UND

23 minutes ago, Kab said:

It looks like coach has brought in some high talent kids.

‘here’s hoping they produce and coaches can figure out a playing rotation before February 

Bingo! They have done a great job recruiting so far. A ton of length and athleticism on next years team!

Really hoping shooting doesn't hold us back though. We don't have a pure shooter anymore like Norman was. I really think we're going to miss having him. 

• Like 1

Just now, HoopsFan03 said:

Bingo! They have done a great job recruiting so far. A ton of length and athleticism on next years team!

Really hoping shooting doesn't hold us back though. We don't have a pure shooter anymore like Norman was. I really think we're going to miss having him. 

Norman will be missed but I think Treysen can fill a lot of that outside shooting role that Norman filled next year.  Plus, I would expect both Omot and T to get better (espeically Omot) from distance. 

Maybe Trent and Brooks can also make some improvements from this area as well. 

I'm not ready to push the panic button on the outside shooting, I think enough of an improvement from the team could fill that void (plus who knows what else UND adds with their 2 scholarships). 

11 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I agree.  He was a big part of our winning 6 of our last nine.  Would also like to see us pick up another shooter.  But I agree with SW that some of the others could well pick up the slack in this area.

12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Norman will be missed but I think Treysen can fill a lot of that outside shooting role that Norman filled next year.  Plus, I would expect both Omot and T to get better (espeically Omot) from distance. 

Maybe Trent and Brooks can also make some improvements from this area as well. 

I'm not ready to push the panic button on the outside shooting, I think enough of an improvement from the team could fill that void (plus who knows what else UND adds with their 2 scholarships). 

I'm not hitting the panic button, but we currently don't have that pure shooter like Norman to really space the floor and help open up driving lanes. All of our current guards, except maybe Treysen, are drivers first before shooters

Treysen - he is a scorer that can shoot, he's going to be up and down because of the type of shots he shoots. Not a shooter like Norman was

Omot - should be able to improve on his 30% he shot last year but again is a scorer that can shoot it a bit. Not a shooter like Norman

Trent, Brooks, Danielson, King, Mayar - All drivers first. None are shooters. 

TT shooting like he did last year does help create some space and driving lanes off the pick & pop.

Hoping we use one of the 2 remaining scholarships to get someone that can really shoot the ball to help space the floor!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-SPORTS-FAN said:

Someone needs to keep a warm up statistic for these two next year, but do we even know if Hong is coming back? Kraft and Bothum as PWOs. I think the assumption is that Nicholson is gone too? 

Would the "best warm-up shooting percent" award be given at the same banquet as the "best hockey season before holiday break*" award? Will the Alerus ballroom hold it? 

*Gophs had a long run winning that one. 

4 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I'm not hitting the panic button, but we currently don't have that pure shooter like Norman to really space the floor and help open up driving lanes. All of our current guards, except maybe Treysen, are drivers first before shooters

Treysen - he is a scorer that can shoot, he's going to be up and down because of the type of shots he shoots. Not a shooter like Norman was

Omot - should be able to improve on his 30% he shot last year but again is a scorer that can shoot it a bit. Not a shooter like Norman

Trent, Brooks, Danielson, King, Mayar - All drivers first. None are shooters. 

TT shooting like he did last year does help create some space and driving lanes off the pick & pop.

Hoping we use one of the 2 remaining scholarships to get someone that can really shoot the ball to help space the floor!

I don't know if I agree in total about Eaglestaff. I think his game was forced to evolve a bit  since in college he is shooting against bigger players and they probably close out on the shooter quicker than he was used to in High School and even AAU. I know his senior year in high school almost  half(276 of 567) of his shots came from beyond the 3 point line. I think as he gets stronger and quicker he may be able get his shot up a little quicker, develop a little more consistent range, and create space a little easier and hopefully also be able to finish stronger through contact at the rim. We might be saying the same thing differently but I think he looks for the 3 first and foremost.

• Upvote 1

5th Year

Brady Danielson

Tsotne Tsartsidze

Senior

Jalun Trent

Junior

Deng Mayar

Brian Mathews

Sophomore

BJ Omot

Treysen Eaglestaff

Eli King

Elijah Brooks

Freshman

Daniel Hong (RS walk-on)

Ryan Erikson

Anthony Doppler

Matthew Bothun (sounds like walk-on to start)

Zach Kraft (walk-on)

So we have 11 scholarship guys and 3 walk-ons right now. 2 open scholarships still. I assume Bothun’s would turn into a scholarship his second year so assuming no one unexpected leaves, we would have 2 scholarships to work with for the following year as well.

Even in today's world of advanced medicine and training and rehab, rosters (all sports) seem to have expanded because teams seem to end up with season-long injuries that shorten the roster. 

Hockey used to run 26. Lately it's 27.

MBB expanding a little (16) would just seem to be following the trend of roster management reality. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Even in today's world of advanced medicine and training and rehab, rosters (all sports) seem to have expanded because teams seem to end up with season-long injuries that shorten the roster. 

Hockey used to run 26. Lately it's 27.

MBB expanding a little (16) would just seem to be following the trend of roster management reality. 

Gives an option for evaluation of potential for PWO’s against college talent during practice. Maybe some security against portal transfers at the end of each season. 

29 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

5th Year

Brady Danielson

Senior

Jalun Trent

Tsotne Tsartsidze

Junior

Deng Mayar

Brian Mathews

Sophomore

BJ Omot

Treysen Eaglestaff

Eli King

Elijah Brooks

Freshman

Daniel Hong (RS walk-on)

Ryan Erikson

Anthony Doppler

Zach Kraft (walk-on)

So we have 11 scholarship guys and 3 walk-ons right now. 2 open scholarships still. I assume Bothun’s would turn into a scholarship his second year so assuming no one unexpected leaves, we would have 2 scholarships to work with for the following year as well.

TT should be a 5th year guy as well. Played 2 years of JUCO and 2 years here. Same thing with Norman, not sure why they weren’t listed as seniors this year

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

5th Year

Brady Danielson

Tsotne Tsartsidze

Senior

Jalun Trent

Junior

Deng Mayar

Brian Mathews

Sophomore

BJ Omot

Treysen Eaglestaff

Eli King

Elijah Brooks

Freshman

Daniel Hong (RS walk-on)

Ryan Erikson

Anthony Doppler

Zach Kraft (walk-on)

He has him as a 5th year

Will be interesting to see what they do with the 1 scholly left

I think it will either be another 4 or maybe they go back to the drawing board and target some 5's.

My guess is Elvis is probably not committing.

Trent Johnson has an offer and a visit soon, I would guess. Canadian flavor.. 6'7 swiss army knife, maybe he's the answer.

Could be a quick and fast off season as far as recruiting... which I'm sure the staff would absolutely love.