SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Off-season Recruiting

SD UND

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So walk on's are ok, so long as they are from outside of GF? Is Thompson ok? Fargo? What's the approved distance for a walk on?

6 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

To me this seems more like a token jesture.  Happened in football as well with 2 GF kids.  If they aren't good enough for a scholarship they should go elsewhere.    These walk on offers mean about as much as a verbal commitment. 

I know it was FB, but walk-ons ( Joe Schobert, Joe Haeg, Adam Thielen) are often athletes who show potential or had been injured and maybe hadn’t fully recovered enough yet. The staff thinks they could further develop into a player that can help a team.
The investment, even for a walk-on, is significant so it would be an expensive “token gesture”.  Coaching time, uniforms, some meals etc involves valuable time and resources. Often area kids have been to summer camps so the coaches know they have a skill set that allows them to at least contribute to practice needs. 
Having said that, many don’t continue to improve to the point where they are key contributors. However, many do (probably more in FB than BB). Often those that don’t become stars remain on the team as practice players who may be that alumnus that can later donate big money. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

I need a boxing match between these two with all money going to the Forum NIL fund, if DeSean wins he gets a roster spot if Zach wins he gets to go into the locker room for an interview.

One stipulation is all footage must be deleted before going to bed

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Given how many Grand Forks kids have been on UND's basketball team in the couple decades, scholarship or not, it seems like the offer is pretty far from a token gesture.
Nothing was stopping him from taking a scholarship or PWO elsewhere either. Plenty of reasons to take the PWO, including betting on yourself to earn a scholarship.

Seems like you're insulting a whole bunch of different people with this take though.

I'll bet on him having a scholarship in 2 years over some incoming Fr. on scholarship in his class.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1