Sorry @The Sicatoka, there goes your Klee dreams:

UNH F Jake Dunlap to Ohio State
UW F Robby Newton to portal
Canisius G Jacob Barczewski to Michigan
RPI D Mason Klee to Ohio State
Ohio State D Dominic Vidoli to Omaha
UConn G Logan Terness to Ohio State
UMass D Noah Ellis (VGK) to Omaha

UNO gets a couple Dmen additions from OSU and UMass.
The Canisius goalie that had UMN fans scared thru 2 periods goes to Michigan.
Another UW player sees the light and enters the portal.

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

No surprise that Portz went back home. Good luck to him when he isn't playing us.

Is that official that he's heading to SCSU?
It certainly wouldn't surprise me, I just haven't seen it posted anywhere.
Agreed though, best of luck to him and Costantini...just not when we play them.  :) 

18 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Is that official that he's heading to SCSU?
It certainly wouldn't surprise me, I just haven't seen it posted anywhere.
Agreed though, best of luck to him and Costantini...just not when we play them.  :) 

Schlossman had alluded to it happening on his podcast a couple days ago so I wasn’t too surprised. 

9 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

According to Mick Hatten, their beat writer

Ah yes, found the article:

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/huskies-get-transfers-from-alaska-north-dakota-for-next-season

"I loved my time here and I still have a good relationship with the players and the coaches," Portz said of North Dakota. "But ultimately, I wanted to find a place where I played a little bigger role and had more of an impact on the team. It just felt like with the option of the portal, it was the right thing to do."

He had options in the portal, but what were some things that helped him pick St. Cloud State?

"When you go into the portal, you want to go in with an open mind and make sure you find the best fit for both you and the school," he said. "Once coach (Brett) Larson called and we had a few conversations, we talked through it a few times and made sure that it was the right opportunity for both me and the team, too, with their interest. I think they both aligned. It seemed like it was the best fit and it was a good situation for both me and St. Cloud State.

"I wanted to go to a spot that's going to win games and have a chance at both a league championship and a national championship. I thought St. Cloud State, with the skill they have, the players they have coming back, along with the coaching staff, was exactly what I was looking for."

15 hours ago, brianvf said:

Question for the masses: In the linked article, it says that Portz "averaged 8 minutes, 4 seconds on the ice". Is time-on-ice for college hockey publicly available anywhere?

4 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Question for the masses: In the linked article, it says that Portz "averaged 8 minutes, 4 seconds on the ice". Is time-on-ice for college hockey publicly available anywhere?

I know there is a more in depth website that breaks down stats further than the typical box scores. I believe it takes a subscription for the service. I know Schloss has it and has referenced it a few times.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The way it's going I'm going to have to change 

"Today'd be a great day to finish out the defensive corps!"

to

"Today'd be a great week to finish out the defensive corps!"  

Living on the edge is not so bad sometimes.  

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Cripes, it better be the greatest database in the history of databases if it costs that much.

I was shocked when I saw how much it cost. It's ridiculous. It was fun to play with and run the numbers when I had access. 

I’ve got to imagine that the coaches are going to add one more portal D-man, right? Pure speculation here: maybe they’re waiting for more clarity on the Strathmann situation before getting another portal addition. 

Having taken in all the moves in the offseason (including the departures of EVERY eligible defenseman), I'm guessing that the coaching staff concluded that the collective ability/mindset of their D-corp was simply sub-par and unable/unwilling to learn.  The guys they have brought in through the portal appear to be some elite college-level folks.  Really pretty happy about them.  

Not sure what is in the works, but at least they have proven that they can kick everyone out and still field a legitimate team.  One or two more portal folks might be needed, but I for one am impressed with the offseason.

32 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Having taken in all the moves in the offseason (including the departures of EVERY eligible defenseman), I'm guessing that the coaching staff concluded that the collective ability/mindset of their D-corp was simply sub-par and unable/unwilling to learn.  The guys they have brought in through the portal appear to be some elite college-level folks.  Really pretty happy about them.  

Not sure what is in the works, but at least they have proven that they can kick everyone out and still field a legitimate team.  One or two more portal folks might be needed, but I for one am impressed with the offseason.

So your first point is that the outgoing kids were subpar on a talent level and/or unwilling/unable to learn.  Berry is a self-proclaimed "culture" guy yet has had numerous bad culture players on one team?  We've seldom had players in the past unwilling to put in the work and Berry is a lifelong defensive guy from his time as a player and as a coach.  On paper, there aren't many in the NCAA with Berry's type of resume in that regard.  So, Berry either recruited the wrong kids or couldn't coach them...or both.  A failure on his part either way.

Second, you're impressed with a group of transfers who haven't even played a game for UND yet.  How do we know they're legitimate?  Maybe they will be great, maybe they won't, but the fact that we're relying on the portal to make our team instead of using it as a means of enhancing our team is a failure on its own.  There's nothing wrong with a portal guy or two each year...UND should definitely take advantage of that when able, but Berry's poor roster management has led to a situation where we HAVE to use it instead of WANT to use it.

In my opinion, it shows Berry has very little control over the program at the moment.  I see none of our rivals encountering roster mismanagement to this degree, especially considering Berry is playing with a stacked hand factoring in the facilities, history, fanbase, etc.  Instead of holding Berry to the high standard our program deserves, everyone wants to keep lowering the bar for him.  I guess it's a sign of the times....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, petey23 said:

... several forwards  playing 2 facets of the game, offense and waiting to be on offense.

Ahhh-yup. Too many times the forwards figured out who is "their guy" right after the red light came on for the other guys. (MIN24 had the same malady for about 10 seconds of OT in a recent game. ;) )  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ahhh-yup. Too many times the forwards figured out who is "their guy" right after the red light came on for the other guys. (MIN24 had the same malady for about 10 seconds of OT in a recent game. ;) )  

That was delicious!

image.jpeg.324b462c8dcfac24e6916b3e1a549a5a.jpeg