SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

I’ll reserve judgement until I see what pieces Berry lands for roster additions. 
In all honesty, not one player that has entered the portal was a “make or break” player. There were some surprises, sure. Like if Gaber or Frisch would have entered the portal instead of playing another year. 
Every team will have portal losses, even the big boys. That’s just the new “fun” of being in the portal era unfortunately. 
We’ll see who Bubs can get to sign from the portal and go from there. 

Yeah…we shall see 

Looks like I missed a lot during the day today.

Don't mind losing Moore or Portz for a couple reasons. Moore was a liability in his own end and didn't bring consistent enough offense to see past that, however losing every defenseman on the roster is a little concerning. With Portz I liked him as a player but he is the style of player I feel we need maybe 1 or 2 of and we have had like 4-5 at least the past couple years.

If Persson was on campus that is solid, I would much prefer Haider if I had a choice but Ludvig would be a solid 2nd choice.

• Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, jk said:

That three-week stretch beginning mid-October against MN, Mankato and BU should be an eye-opener for the new defense.

Two Frozen Four teams and the CCHA powerhouse. 
Huge PWR implications with those three teams all more than likely finishing high up in their conference standings.

• Upvote 1

I know there will be some growing pains next season, even so I don’t want to hear Hennessy keep saying how young they are on the back end, because the last time I checked the coaches are the ones that are supposed to make sure the pipeline and roster are balanced.  With the talent we have up front, we can’t decide we need to stay back and play a trap so we can try make up for the inexperience on the back end.  Keep it in the offensive end and play to our strength and draw penalties and hope our power play is as good as last year, and five on five gets better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jk said:

That three-week stretch beginning mid-October against MN, Mankato and BU should be an eye-opener for the new defense.

Both Minnesota and Mankato will both be breaking in new talent on the back end as well, so hopefully if UND focuses on bonding early in the summer like they did a couple seasons ago when they had a lot of turnover, they can get some chemistry started.  
I just don’t think they had the same focus last off season as they did the previous, and I think they took success for granted, as evidenced by how many players regressed from the previous season.  

The off season work ethic will tell the tale of whether we can mitigate all of the losses on the back end.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Do you suppose Moore considered himself and "offensive" defenseman...   I think he was touted as one when he arrived.  and with that mindset it didn't appeal to him to be the patriarch of a young group, forcing him to be the stay at home, responsible defenseman.

What?

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Looks like I missed a lot during the day today.

Don't mind losing Moore or Portz for a couple reasons. Moore was a liability in his own end and didn't bring consistent enough offense to see past that, however losing every defenseman on the roster is a little concerning. With Portz I liked him as a player but he is the style of player I feel we need maybe 1 or 2 of and we have had like 4-5 at least the past couple years.

If Persson was on campus that is solid, I would much prefer Haider if I had a choice but Ludvig would be a solid 2nd choice.

Please see 3 posts up 

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We’re all fans of the program (obviously)…but looking at the folks that are attempting to spin this all in a positive light is hilarious. I wear green coated glasses but this is something entirely different hahaha 

Honestly not that obvious sometimes. If you can’t see the positive at forward next year and that some of these moves are addition by subtraction, i can’t help you. Most everyone I’ve seen has pointed out the concern with no returning dmen and goalies but only so many people can hold a metaphorical ‘World is Ending’ sign on this site. There are things to look forward to. Maybe they’ll have another down year and Berry’s position is in jeopardy but my money is on the opposite

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We’re all fans of the program (obviously)…but looking at the folks that are attempting to spin this all in a positive light is hilarious. I wear green coated glasses but this is something entirely different hahaha 

It really depends on who we get in the portal, and how they are able to be dependable playing big minutes.  Yes, it isn’t good we lost our only returner, but I don’t look at Moore as a make or break our season guy.
 If we can get a freshman or two that surprises in their freshmen year like Frisch did when he supplanted Tychonick, then the progression of the guys up front could make us formidable.  
  Part of the guarded optimism is looking at some of the guys other teams that finished above us lost as well. Western may lose 3 or 4 to the pros besides their Seniors; St. Cloud lost 3 experienced defense and one to portal as well as senior forwards; Duluth lost Kaiser and Howard along with Seniors and a few portals; Omaha, well they are Omaha.  Denver is clearly going to be the favorite again even without Chrona.  
  Again, it all depends on who they get in the portal and whether they can be difference makers like Anhorn was for St. Cloud.  So part of the optimism comes from others pain as well, and the hope that as many of our portal guys work out as possible.

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed. But the point most folks are missing is Nodak used to be a sure fire program as far as recruiting goes. This past year was the first time I’ve heard negative things (from a recruit standpoint) about going to Und. And I’m talking high end kids. Most folks on this forum are speaking in terms of pro hockey where guys come and go and you build through free agency (which work at the pro level). The problem is, for those families with high end kids, college hockey is only the next step in the development. Right now is the message is there is zero room for error and you’ll be replaced by a 25 year old portal guy. Honestly it would be super tough for me to send a kid to this program. Really hoping things turn around quickly.

Bingo. 

54 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

#mustwin

In a way, though, unranked  teams are more dangerous in the pairwise and truly have “must win” implications.   A loss to UMn wouldn”t be fatal; a loss to Canisius could be.   On the other hand an underdog win against the goofs would be a springboard, while a win against Can would just help us tread water.

the big risk I can see is an azzkicking by UMn or BU would not be good for an inexperienced goalie’s mojo early in the season, which would make us vulnerable to the unranked teams on the schedule.   

Maybe I am incorrect in this assessment, but I am trying to think of a lot of episodes other than Frisch, where our guys are limping coming off the ice from blocking shots.
 Watching guys like Nevers from Minnesota blocking multiple shots against St. Cloud got me thinking did we have that sellout mentality that goes with great defense?  I know all forwards aren’t adept at blocking shots, nor would I want Blake blocking shots all the time unless it was do or die situation, but maybe we are missing a few more guys paying the price when a game is on the line.  

Who knows, maybe the numbers don’t hold true to my recollection, and the perceived lack of limping off, doesn’t mean they aren’t getting in front of shots, but hopefully the guys coming in are going to do all the little things needed to win, even if that means not making the fancy play, but the smart play.

• Upvote 1