SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

Newest episode of the UND hockey pod. Portal names mentioned:

Goalies:

• Haider, Persson, Moe

Forwards: (He reiterated, there isn't necessarily a Forward need)

• Berg

Defenseman:

• Warren
  • Pyke
  • Palocsik (He mentioned he was unfamiliar with him)

Nothing new necessarily. Small sample size and Schlossman's lists in the past have been bigger, but usually when he mentions names, the guy that ends up committing are part of that list. Fingers crossed. For whatever reason I feel really confident that one of those goalies will commit. I would be ecstatic with just one of those 3 D-man. 

My knock on the D list? Only Palocsik shoots right. 

With Moore plus five freshmen, we're 5L/1R right now. Only Komzak shoots right. 

My top two targets would be:
- Luke Krys (Brown, Jr) Second Team All-Ivy twice … Captain
- Tanner Palocsik (Dartmouth, Sr) ECAC Third team this year, all-Ivy League Second Team as Freshman ... Captain 
Both shoot right. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My knock on the D list? Only Palocsik shoots right. 

With Moore plus five freshmen, we're 5L/1R right now. Only Komzak shoots right. 

I’m guessing there’s a right shot D we are targeting not mentioned. Schlossman was just throwing out names that are probably at the top of the list for a guy who can play heavy minutes but there are probably also other targets. 

30 minutes ago, AJS said:

Goalies:

• Haider, Persson, Moe

• Berg

Defenseman:

• Warren
  • Pyke

Nothing new necessarily. Small sample size and Schlossman's lists in the past have been bigger, but usually when he mentions names, the guy that ends up committing are part of that list. Fingers crossed. For whatever reason I feel really confident that one of those goalies will commit. I would be ecstatic with just one of those 3 D-man. 

Somebody here has to know the Berg family, no? Anyone?

30 minutes ago, AJS said:

Goalies:

• Haider, Persson, Moe

• Berg

Defenseman:

• Warren
  • Pyke

With Warren playing so many minutes for BC, I am very curious why they didn't bring him back with such a great group of freshmen coming in.  Does anyone have any info as to why he isn't going back there?

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

With Warren playing so many minutes for BC, I am very curious why they didn't bring him back with such a great group of freshmen coming in.  Does anyone have any info as to why he isn't going back there?

My assumption would be dollars and slots. They are prioritizing a freshman over a potential returnee. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

My assumption would be dollars and slots. They are prioritizing a freshman over a potential returnee. 

But to me, that is like us not wanting a big minute eater like Frisch back.  Just seemed curious, especially when you do have a young group coming in. 

Just now, tnt said:

But to me, that is like us not wanting a big minute eater like Frisch back.  Just seemed curious, especially when you do have a young group coming in. 

The alternate theory to "dollars and slots" would be Warren is looking for a change of scenery. 

14 minutes ago, tnt said:

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The alternate theory to "dollars and slots" would be Warren is looking for a change of scenery. 

What happened at Minnesota last year would be the same thing as BC this year. The Boston College Freshman class is so loaded. There is no pushing back, they need to come in and play. 

Edit: These kind of moves from Boston College and Minnesota, answer the "what kind of program are you". 

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

What happened at Minnesota last year would be the same thing as BC this year. The Boston College Freshman class is so loaded. There is no pushing back, they need to come in and play. 

Edit: These kind of moves from Boston College and Minnesota, answer the "what kind of program are you". 

Is your program about development, winning…maybe both (hopefully)? Yes, BC’s incoming class is nice and appears to be nicer the following year if my memory serves me right…but there are sophomores, juniors etc that need the opportunity to play bigger minutes/better roles. Keeping a guy for that 5th year comes across with a bit of desperation from my angle. Especially considering teams like BC, MN, UM, BU etc recruit well year over year. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Is your program about development, winning…maybe both (hopefully)? Yes, BC’s incoming class is nice and appears to be nicer the following year if my memory serves me right…but there are sophomores, juniors etc that need the opportunity to play bigger minutes/better roles. Keeping a guy for that 5th year comes across with a bit of desperation from my angle.

Love this. 

So far so good for UND next season. This is why I'm closely watching what happens with Albrecht / Portal Forward. If both happen, there's becoming a pattern that I really do think is damaging for the program long term. 

As I post this, Portz hits the portal. This is going to sound harsh, but I love this move. Kudos to Berry.

6 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Nick Portz gone now too. Need to add forward(s) out of portal.

This is a situation where you want to be sensitive a bit. This isn't anything against Portz in general. With what I can assume Albrecht coming back, that left this team with four (5, 11, 13, 20) I would say pretty interchangeable Forwards. Hoping this works out best for both parties. Portz gets more minutes, UND ups the talent level at Forward, while staying at 15 guys (Adding a portal forward). As someone who's been critical of Berry, this is one of those tough calls that I think he really nailed. 

Good luck Nick!

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

If a portal forward gets added (Berg?), the numbers didn’t add up. If Albrecht is staying, another forward needed to hit the portal too. 
This makes sense from a numbers perspective. 

Ran 16F in 2022-23.

Out: 10, 18, 19, 20
In: Perron, Emerson

Net -2 (or 14F).
Need one for 15F.

• Upvote 1