SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

What an incredible 3 weeks this has been for UND hockey. But after yesterday- it shows the next few weeks won’t be a cakewalk. But it is now UND in drivers seat and have to lose this Penrose themselves now. It’s up to them to keep this train running. 

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Lots can change obviously but the current NCAA scenario would have us playing in Springfield, Mass. against UMass in first round.

If Maine makes it through the next stretch of opponents still a #1 seed, they've earned it. All three are borderline tournament teams pretty much in playoff mode.

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If Maine makes it through the next stretch of opponents still a #1 seed, they've earned it. All three are borderline tournament teams pretty much in playoff mode.

UMass also currently sits at #13 and hasn't been too consistent this year thus far.  They still have two games left against BC, two against UNH, and two against Maine.
I wouldn't be shocked to see them fall out of the tourney unless they can pick up a few wins against those teams.

29 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

What are the odds that St. Clown picks up 6 next weekend in Oxford? 

Their fans that I talk to have indicated they don’t do well against really aggressive teams, and seem to think they might be in some trouble. (I thought Miami was super aggressive. )

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

What are the odds that St. Clown picks up 6 next weekend in Oxford? 

Well, the KRACH rating for both teams, accumulated over the full season so far, implies 80% chance of SCSU beating Miami.   So by that measure, a sweep is 64% (80x80).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, brianvf said:

UND falls to #3 in the PWR with the BU win over BC in the Beanpot.

The RPI is so close with those top three teams (BC - .6171, BU - .6108, UND - .6102).
#4 PWR Maine RPI goes down to .5962

Longer run, it helps our RPI and our comparison vs BC if BU beats BC.   And yes, I would like more distance between UND and #4-8.   Too easy for the rankings to change quickly.   (See DU dropping to #8 as case in point.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-using-bye-week-to-regain-health

Albrecht returned to practice this week, so is looking good for return against CC.
Johannes hasn't returned to practice yet.

The senior forward has missed the last four games with an upper-body injury.

"He looked good out there," Berry said. "He's trending in the right direction (to play against Colorado College)."

Johannes has not yet returned to practice.

The fifth-year senior, who has been playing left wing on UND's top line, has missed the last five games with a lower-body injury.

"We'll see if we can get him out on the ice (next week) and go from there," Berry said.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:08 AM, farce poobah said:

Longer run, it helps our RPI and our comparison vs BC if BU beats BC.   And yes, I would like more distance between UND and #4-8.   Too easy for the rankings to change quickly.   (See DU dropping to #8 as case in point.)

We are back up to #2 for the time being.

• Upvote 1

I agree on Johannes.  I realize there are different opinions on this, but I like him with Berg and Gaber, as he creates space.  I also think the bottom lines haven't been as good as they were earlier, with the shuffling of 18 and 29 up the lineup.  They're good and will probably be mainstays higher up next year, but for now they make the lower lines more dangerous and there's no one I want to pull out of the top six. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3