SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

On 8/18/2023 at 12:28 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

He picked his up mid-season though, if you remember. I'm pretty sure I've never seen this.

From what i heard from guys who knew Ford, if we had not been dealing with the COVID crap he would have likely worn a letter from the start...but that was a weird year with limited time for guys to skate together in the summer and get to know each other.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/top-candidate-emerging-in-unds-search-for-assistant-hockey-coach

Top candidate, Mr. Dillon Simpson, emerging for the assistant coach position.

Former UND captain Dillon Simpson has emerged as a strong possibility to return to campus in a coaching role, multiple sources have confirmed to the Herald.

Nothing has been finalized yet. Candidates have to go through an extensive process before official offers can be made. But Simpson fits the profile of what UND was looking for — someone to coach and manage the defensemen.

• Upvote 2

The new Schloss UND podcast was posted today.
https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockey-podcast-the-season-inches-closer
They spoke about the upcoming season and talked about how the practices have looked.

Schloss specifically called out Blake on looking dominant in these early practices.
Also he talked about Perron making some great passes and hustling back when he doesn't have the puck, compared him to Nick Schmaltz.
Mentioned Berg looking like a good fit.
Said Hedquist was a full participant in practices, so he must be recovered from his injury suffered late last season.

• Upvote 3

NCHC postseason tournament with 9 teams now means an 8-9 play in game at the site of the #1 seed on the Wednesday before the quarters begin next season.

I'd think if UND was the 1 seed an 8 vs. 9 game between CC and Miami would have decent attendance at the Ralph.  

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

NCHC postseason tournament with 9 teams now means an 8-9 play in game at the site of the #1 seed on the Wednesday before the quarters begin next season.

I'd think if UND was the 1 seed an 8 vs. 9 game between CC and Miami would have decent attendance at the Ralph.  

You're assuming their won't be a 10th added before that!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And I think I know where this potential 10th team is located! :wink:

Hint: Twin Cities Metro Area, Small, Private School, recently moved up to Division I, newest member of the Summit League.

I still have a hard time believing that St Thomas would jump ship from the CCHA to the NCHC just a couple years after they joined the CCHA.
They just joined the CCHA in 2021.  I'm assuming that the CCHA would make them pay a decent fee for leaving, much like the rule that the NCHC has in place.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

I still have a hard time believing that St Thomas would jump ship from the CCHA to the NCHC just a couple years after they joined the CCHA.
They just joined the CCHA in 2021.  I'm assuming that the CCHA would make them pay a decent fee for leaving, much like the rule that the NCHC has in place.

Looking at the insane realignment going on in collegiate sports today, l wouldn't rule anything out.

34 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Looking at the insane realignment going on in colligate sports today, l wouldn't rule anything out.

Yeah, for sure.  Something is gonna have to give if all these schools rumored at going DI start actually doing it.  They'll all need to fit somewhere.

According to Brad in the Laurila article, Dillon Simpson is the new coach. 

I don't like it, as it's his first coaching job and I'm also not sold on always hiring a former UND player. If they wanted a former UND player, then get someone with coaching experience. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

I don't like it, as it's his first coaching job and I'm also not sold on always hiring a former UND player. If they wanted a former UND player, then get someone with coaching experience. 

It doesn't concern me that much being it's a 3rd assistant coach. 

• Upvote 3

Quiet reality: 

You spend more than three seasons with an AHL franchise you're being kept around for more than on-ice play.
You've effectively become a de facto coach within the organization. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123970 

PS - The final threshold has been broken. Assuming a Simpson hire, UND has a payroll coach that could be my kid. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

If he can get the players and especially the defense to play with the passion and love for UND that he did, I'm good with it.   Maybe it would have been nice if he had coaching experience somewhere, but I think he has a good background of knowledge and maybe some connections through his dad, and I sure wouldn't mind someone with his personality and passion talking to a recruit's parents.  I think Nick Oliver only had Junior assistant coach experience before St. Cloud hired him as an assistant, and that was with two full time positions, so I think you can see big time coaching potential before you have much experience.  I'm sure Smaby would have been preferable, but some guys that have that experience aren't going to take a pay cut unless they might be the next man up if you know what I mean. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

Love the Simpson hire. Get young with that 3rd assistant. Recruiting has been solid, no doubt, but I think more youth on the Coaching staff will help. 

Good point, he will also be very relatable with the players, and maybe a good go between when issues arise that could derail a team.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Love the Simpson hire. Get young with that 3rd assistant. Recruiting has been solid, no doubt, but I think more youth on the Coaching staff will help. 

KG is a generational shift from Bubs and Dane.

Simpson is a generational shift from KG. 

... just realized that. 

• Upvote 1