SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Listening to the new UND Pod. Two things stuck out in regard to the roster construction. 

• 16th F: The question being Montgomery's health and if they felt he would be ready for Fall.
  • 8th D: Is Strathmann ready to come in and play. They would not bring him in to sit.

Those were the questions that Schlossman posed. I think there are cases where he knows more than he might lead on, but I got the feeling that he doesn't know which way they'll go with those. 

Those concerns (bullets) are real. I'm glad they are being handled as such. 

When it comes to Schlossman "questions" in a public forum (print, podcast) they are always "lawyer questions" meaning he pretty much already knows the answer but is setting the stage for the answer to come out. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

We knew it but now it's what ya call ... oh-fish-all. 

... sorry @bale31 ... 

Meh...now that I've had a couple weeks to cool my jets, my attitude is "if you don't wanna be here, leave and let someone else have the spot." As a former coworker used to say when someone left for a competitor, "he's dead to me now." :)

14 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Meh...now that I've had a couple weeks to cool my jets, my attitude is "if you don't wanna be here, leave and let someone else have the spot." As a former coworker used to say when someone left for a competitor, "he's dead to me now." :)

< virtual fist bump > 

Until we get NIL set up, we are at a disadvantage compared to Big Ten, BC, and others. Hell, even friggin' Oma-fraud has a collective. It's not a fun pill to swallow, but it's the current landscape. Fire Chaves? Maybe a flooded inbox with questions about our stalled NIL status will get him off his arse?

In the meanwhile, plucking top players from lesser programs is not ideal, but let's be realists; if they've proven their ability to play at the NCAA level, their path shouldn't matter.

8 hours ago, N of GF said:

Army, Wisco, Minnesota, Mankato, BU...

That's a great line up. Heck, even Alaska in January is sort of interesting just because it's different. And it should be a good way to shake off the rust that didn't shake off during the U18 game. lol

I don't remember the last time I was so excited for the non-conference portion of the schedule.

This is good.   Not only is it entertaining, this young team playing a bunch of bad-to-mediocre teams that represent high pairwise risk before they get on track might not be good.   

23 hours ago, cberkas said:

Start scheduling a different team then Bemidji every season. or just make Bemidji an exhibition game after the Manitoba game. 

You can actually now play an exhibition game against an NCAA team.   I'd be all for a UND Augie game in Rapid City as a poor man's exhibition destination game to help promote hockey in the Dakotas. If Minot of Bismarck had a large enough facility I'd suggest a game there would make sense as well. 

I do hope we get augie on the schedule soon, helping a new program that has ties to UND much like Lindenwood.

26 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

You can actually now play an exhibition game against an NCAA team.   I'd be all for a UND Augie game in Rapid City as a poor man's exhibition destination game to help promote hockey in the Dakotas. If Minot of Bismarck had a large enough facility I'd suggest a game there would make sense as well. 

I do hope we get augie on the schedule soon, helping a new program that has ties to UND much like Lindenwood.

I see they have Denver, CC, Notre Dame, and Arizona State scheduled.

14 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I agree with cberkas. There is nothing to gain by playing Bemidji every year. If we lose, it is a pairwise killer because they are rarely a top 25 team. If we win, it does not help. It is always a tough game because they play the Jacques Lemaire trap style game that makes it difficult to score more than 2 goals. It is also painful hockey to watch. I already dislike the way UMD plays, but at least they have some high end skill. 

Bemidji is not a Pairwise killer. A PWR killer is losing twice to the team ranked dead last. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Bemidji ranked in the bottom half of the PWR in recent years. They’re always in the 20s or lurking around there. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Bemidji is not a Pairwise killer. A PWR killer is losing twice to the team ranked dead last. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Bemidji ranked in the bottom half of the PWR in recent years. They’re always in the 20s or lurking around there. 

Bemidji was 34 this year in the pairwise. 

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Then if we can’t beat them it’s on us. However it hurts us in the pairwise is on us. We are who we are. 

Why take that chance against a team that tries to win a game with a race to 2 goals? We have nothing to gain by playing them. No one has disputed my contention that playing Bemidji is like watching paint dry. I'm not saying playing them every now and again, but why every year?

For historical context, Bemidji's pairwise last year was 29. It was good the 2 years before that (10 and 12), but if you go deeper they were 35 in 2018-19, 31 in 2017-18, 29 in 2016-17 and 32 in 2015-16. They are typically going to be between 29 and 35. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I seem to be in the minority liking the Bemidji series every year. It's far too practical not to do. 

If BSU was the dreg of that conference I'd be against; but, being they are perennially competitive it's a good series from both a PWR and fiscal viewpoint. 

• Upvote 1

It’s usually early in the season. It is an opportunity to evaluate new guys and line pairings. We need to be able to win games against teams that play their style. How many times have our good teams been knocked off in games where we can’t get a needed goal? It’s an early measuring stick as to where we are and what we need to work on.

If we are reluctant to play Bemidji or similar teams, then we might not be that good. I read goofy comments about “setting the bar”. We as “keyboard expert critics” don’t set the bar,  but if we have any qualms about playing Bemidji, then that’s an awfully low bar.

A small part of it is helping build college hockey. A part of it is regional interest. I like playing Army. I would guess they are usually lower than Bemidji in the pairwise. Heck we play Miami every year. 

• Upvote 4