SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

3 minutes ago, jk said:

Wait a sec.  Who were you cheering for when RPI brought their powerhouse into the WSC over Thanksgiving weekend in 1984 for a titanic series?  The one with Chris Jensen's OT game-winner. 

Didn't become an RPI guy until a decade or so later.  ;) 

I had a boss back then (RPI season ticket holder) who swears the thrashing RPI took in the 1984 NCAA quarters (at RPI!) taught them what they needed to win it all in 1985

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It also makes me more open to the idea of 16F instead of 9D for this season also. Of course the perfect "27th" guy would be a Brad Miller clone who could play either D or F.

How about a Joe Gleason clone?

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I threw out a random portal name (Klee, RPI) but I have no idea if either party has any interest. What Klee was was a name that fit the demographic I'd look for ... 

Good advice:
Read and understand an entire post before you try to look smart and show "your line-up" to Schloss. ;)  

The backpedaling in the comments is good. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Good advice:
Read and understand an entire post before you try to look smart and show "your line-up" to Schloss. ;)  

The backpedaling in the comments is good. 

In his defense, he did have question marks next to those names, for a little CYA :D

Full schedule for next season is now out:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockeys-2023-24-schedule-is-set

Oct. 7 — MANITOBA (exhibition)
Oct. 13 — ARMY
Oct. 14 — WISCONSIN
Oct. 20/21 — MINNESOTA
Oct. 27/28 — MSU-MANKATO
Nov. 3/4 — at Boston University
Nov. 10/11 — at Minnesota Duluth
Nov. 18/19 — MIAMI
Nov. 24/25 — BEMIDJI STATE
Dec. 1/2 — at Denver
Dec. 8/9 — COLORADO COLLEGE
Dec. 30 — U.S. UNDER-18 TEAM (exhibition)
Jan. 5/6 — ALASKA
Jan. 12/13 — OMAHA
Jan. 19/20 — at St. Cloud State
Jan. 26/27 — DENVER
Feb. 2/3 — at Miami
Feb. 16/17 — at Colorado College
Feb. 23/24 — MINNESOTA DULUTH
March 1/2 — WESTERN MICHIGAN
March 8/9 — at Omaha
March 15-17 — NCHC first round (site of higher seed)
March 22-23 — NCHC Frozen Faceoff (St. Paul)
March 28-31 — NCAA regionals (Sioux Falls, S.D., Maryland Heights, Mo., Providence, R.I., Springfield, Mass.)
April 11-13 — NCAA Frozen Four (St. Paul)

• Upvote 2

Some intriguing matchups there, especially early.

Very early test against a newly revamped UW squad.
Tough home series against national runner-up UMN.
Followed by a series against freshly depleted MSUM.
And then followed by a road series against F4 team BU, which will have a stacked young squad with Celebrini.

Not an easy non-conference schedule, so hopefully the boys can take care of business against Army, Wisco, Mankato, and Alaska...and hope for at least splits against BU and UMN.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockeys-2023-24-schedule-is-set

Oct. 13 — ARMY
Oct. 14 — WISCONSIN
Oct. 20/21 — MINNESOTA
Oct. 27/28 — MSU-MANKATO
Nov. 18/19 — MIAMI
Dec. 1/2 — at Denver
Jan. 5/6 — ALASKA
Jan. 12/13 — OMAHA
Jan. 26/27 — DENVER
Feb. 2/3 — at Miami
March 8/9 — at Omaha
March 28-31 — NCAA regionals (Sioux Falls, S.D., Maryland Heights, Mo., Providence, R.I., Springfield, Mass.)

when can we stop scheduling the u18 team?  it is a no-win situation for und.....you beat them, and everybody says "well...you should beat them"  you loose"how could you loose to a bunch of kids"..just not a great matchup...let them play the USHL teams and call it good

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Oct. 13 — ARMY
Oct. 14 — WISCONSIN
Oct. 20/21 — MINNESOTA
Oct. 27/28 — MSU-MANKATO
Nov. 18/19 — MIAMI
Dec. 1/2 — at Denver
Jan. 5/6 — ALASKA
Jan. 12/13 — OMAHA
Jan. 26/27 — DENVER
Feb. 2/3 — at Miami
March 8/9 — at Omaha

22 home games, 14 away in the regular season. That feels odd. Am I wrong? I'm not saying I don't love it, but it does feel odd.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

22 home games, 14 away in the regular season. That feels odd. Am I wrong? I'm not saying I don't love it, but it does feel odd.

All the home ends on contracts along with hosting the icebreak does skew it a little bit.  10 home non-con games is pretty rare.  19-16 is more common, with usually 1 exempt game (HOF) rather than 2 (Ice Breaker).

51 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You suck this year, they give you more home games next year.  The road to parity. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 1972 said:

when can we stop scheduling the u18 team?  it is a no-win situation for und.....you beat them, and everybody says "well...you should beat them"  you loose"how could you loose to a bunch of kids"..just not a great matchup...let them play the USHL teams and call it good

I'm glad we schedule them.   First and foremost, as a recruiting tool.  The Ralph kinda sells itself. Second, its an exhibition game that doesn't count in PWR so its "extra".  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I'm glad we schedule them.   First and foremost, as a recruiting tool.  The Ralph kinda sells itself. Second, its an exhibition game that doesn't count in PWR so its "extra".  

I don’t really think it’s much of a recruiting tool scheduling the U18 team at this point. Pretty much all their players are already committed to schools by the time we play them so I just don’t think it does much on that front. 

I do think it’s a good game to schedule coming out of the Christmas break though to shake some rust off and try some new things and see how they go.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I don’t really think it’s much of a recruiting tool scheduling the U18 team at this point. Pretty much all their players are already committed to schools by the time we play them so I just don’t think it does much on that front.

We need to get the U17 team on the schedule then instead.  ;) 

11 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I do think it’s a good game to schedule coming out of the Christmas break though to shake some rust off and try some new things and see how they go.

Making a good impression for the next round of recruiting, out of the portal in a few years.

30 minutes ago, jk said:

Making a good impression for the next round of recruiting, out of the portal in a few years.

Bahaha!!!! Sad, but true. If we can get them out of the chute, flip em before they go to the competition, or pull them in through the Stargate (portal) after they figured out they made a mistake. We will take them!

Listening to the new UND Pod. Two things stuck out in regard to the roster construction. 

• 16th F: The question being Montgomery's health and if they felt he would be ready for Fall.
  • 8th D: Is Strathmann ready to come in and play. They would not bring him in to sit.

Those were the questions that Schlossman posed. I think there are cases where he knows more than he might lead on, but I got the feeling that he doesn't know which way they'll go with those.