SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Recruiting

sioux24/7

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if UND is looking at Jackson McAndrew from Wayzata?

6-8 Junior with range. Father played at UND on our best D2 teams.

Is a 3 star and has interest from Northern Iowa, Craighton, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Xavier, and others. His father has strong ties to Craighton(McDermott) and N. Iowa(Ben Jacobson) but it seems like this is a kid we should offer just to hopefully be in the mix.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Is a 3 star and has interest from Northern Iowa, Craighton, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Xavier, and others. His father has strong ties to Craighton(McDermott) and N. Iowa(Ben Jacobson) but it seems like this is a kid we should offer just to hopefully be in the mix.

With current rules, never know when a kid might be looking for a different opportunity and having those relationships pre-built is never a bad thing.

56 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I saw him play last night against Minnetonka.  Very solid player with lots of range.  Had 22 points and hit 4-5 threes.  Would be a great get for UND.  

• Upvote 2

Found this article from Forum from last summer.  I don't know how old the pictures of him are in the article but he looks much more physically mature now.  He was listed at 6'9" in the program so either he is still growing or they decided to list him a little bigger. 

https://www.inforum.com/sports/prep/wayzatas-jackson-mcandrew-son-of-former-fargo-south-star-who-played-at-und-generating-ample-d-i-interest 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

He is expected to really blow up this spring/summer with some big time offers.

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm sure Ben Johnson is going to be all over him

Nope, sounds like they met with him once but didn't feel there was the interest there. Honestly if you look at the last few years Gophers haven't had much success with the type of profile he  fits. You look at all the Lakeville kids that have headed elsewhere, Heide from Wayzata have struggled with bigger suburb kids.

10 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Nope, sounds like they met with him once but didn't feel there was the interest there. Honestly if you look at the last few years Gophers haven't had much success with the type of profile he  fits. You look at all the Lakeville kids that have headed elsewhere, Heide from Wayzata have struggled with bigger suburb kids.

Yes, the Lakeville North to Wisconsin Pipeline that doesn't seem to be breaking anytime soon. 

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

With current rules, never know when a kid might be looking for a different opportunity and having those relationships pre-built is never a bad thing.

Yeah I’m sure they’re interested and should throw an offer out. Not everyone can make it at the P5 level and like you said having that relationship already is huge. 

If I was a coach, I would probably throw offers out like candy, which may not be the best thing. 

22 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Wasn’t Ben hired solely because he could keep Minnesota kids in Minnesota? 

Big part of the reason and he did that with Payne, Carrington, and Ola-Joseph last year along with getting Garcia to transfer back. This year he doesn't have any coming in but he has 2 4 starts in Cam Christie from Illinois whose brother plays for the Lakers and Dennis Evans from California who played for USA basketball this summer and is the #18 player in the country according to 24/7. 

For 2024 they are probably looking at a couple openings at least as of now and the top target is a Minnesota in PG Isaac Asuma of Cherry which looks like it could happen within the next couple months and then they are looking at a couple bigs, Grayson Grove of Alexandria is one they are tracking close. 

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Big part of the reason and he did that with Payne, Carrington, and Ola-Joseph last year along with getting Garcia to transfer back. This year he doesn't have any coming in but he has 2 4 starts in Cam Christie from Illinois whose brother plays for the Lakers and Dennis Evans from California who played for USA basketball this summer and is the #18 player in the country according to 24/7. 

For 2024 they are probably looking at a couple openings at least as of now and the top target is a Minnesota in PG Isaac Asuma of Cherry which looks like it could happen within the next couple months and then they are looking at a couple bigs, Grayson Grove of Alexandria is one they are tracking close. 

Not the kid from Jefferson?

20 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Not the kid from Jefferson?

Frietag, not really right now. Supposedly he has very minimal interest from basketball schools although Wisconsin is one. I know Fleck really wants him at WR.

So much for the top 20 player as Evans has now asked for his release. Apparently his people pushed for it. He would've been a defensive presence at 7'1 but probably wasn't gonna provide much immediate offense. His rating is based mostly on his high potential as he started basketball late and has taken massive steps forward the last year and a half.

This offseason is huge for Ben Johnson as I think next season could certainly be make or break. If it is anything close to the results we are seeing this year I'd say Minnesota is looking for a coach next spring.

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2023 at 7:33 PM, sioux24/7 said:

It’s really beyond me how Minnesota hasn’t been successful for basketball recently. There is so much talent in the TC. Maybe Ben will turn it around but right now Pitino’s teams are looking better than what Ben’s done. 

And now he has his hands full just trying to hang onto Evans.  

• 2 weeks later...