SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

No one has yet earned the starting job for game one next fall.

This is my point of view as well.  Even if Tommy does stay on the team next year, that doesn't mean he earns the starting job.  It will probably be the most interesting story line of UND football in 2024.

42 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

So disappointing and frustrating that Feeney didn't get in until 2 minutes left. Even if Tommy started the 2nd half, when nothing happened....pull him and give Feeney a try. They obviously needed a spark! I mean we got our butts kicked anyway, if Feeney came in and did nothing and there was no spark at least we know, and also Feeney gets valuable live reps. What a complete waste of an opportunity to try and at least get something positive out of a complete disaster of a game. 

As others mentioned, Tommy will of course look decent when we play the upcoming weaker teams, so Feeney won't even get in those games except for maybe 1 series at the end of we are up big. 

No worries.  2 Tarzan game manager performances coming up at home.  Then we'll take Jane on the road and get our _ss kicked.  Then rebound at home to make it in the playoffs......and then get our _ass kicked again 1st round on the road.  It's like Freaking Ground Hogs Day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

So disappointing and frustrating that Feeney didn't get in until 2 minutes left. Even if Tommy started the 2nd half, when nothing happened....pull him and give Feeney a try. They obviously needed a spark! I mean we got our butts kicked anyway, if Feeney came in and did nothing and there was no spark at least we know, and also Feeney gets valuable live reps. What a complete waste of an opportunity to try and at least get something positive out of a complete disaster of a game. 

As others mentioned, Tommy will of course look decent when we play the upcoming weaker teams, so Feeney won't even get in those games except for maybe 1 series at the end of we are up big. 

agree 100%.  One would have thought starting the 2nd half with drives going 3 and out (3 yds), 3 and out (-5 yds), 5 and out (15 yds) after having a very ineffective 1st half that there would have been a strong thought to bring in the lefty..

The fumble on our first drive (0-0).. followed by missing a chipshot 34yd FG (0-10).. followed by quick TD by UNI (0-17), followed by 3 and out (-5yds).  The offense had time after time to respond and make it a a game again and each time it did nothing.  We still had hope starting the 3rd quarter and 3 straight nothing drives.. It was time to bring in the lefty and at least give him a shot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Sources? Your thoughts on any recruit that is so shaky they would decommit after one loss? 

Scroll through the thread. There were comments that losing a game like this has a negative impact on recruiting. I just pointed out that it didn't have a negative impact on that particular recruit.

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I have assumed Kaminski is very good based on his HS play which is no better than Feeney or Romfo.  Feeney and Romfo have both played well at this level thus far. Kaminski will get his chance. If he is as good as you think he is, then I would wonder why the Badgers wouldn’t have gone after him. They could use help at QB. That doesn’t mean he won’t become our starter but if he is so good he should be named a starter ahead of 2 proven winners who have already played well at this level, then I’m surprised Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Iowa didn’t go after him. They all have mediocre QB’s right now. 

No one has yet earned the starting job for game one next fall. I have watched all three throw to receivers in practice/warmups and I haven’t seen anything that would make me think it’s a done deal. It’s a discussion for a later date. 

I've said this before.......you take jerry, trey, tommy, and romfo and throw their names away and just show up unannounced and watched practice not knowing who was qb1, 2, 3, or 4 and saw all four throw and run and whatnot you (i) would put jerry at qb1....he has it all.

but yes i agree being a qb is more than "chucking the pigskin"....but where i disagree is that just because you promote someone from 4 stringer to starter everyone is just gonna get pissed or quit.  if jerry is the "guy" put him in and a couple of field stretchers...hakim or torey.....would love to see five wide on the first lay against isu(b) with jerry and bo, wes, nate d, korey, and hakim....pick your poison.

how to quickly lose a team is have the qb play afraid no matter what year or status he is....twice now in "big" games tommy has literally just said..."you want this ball i'll just gently lay in down in front of you...jump on it"...it's not like he was pulverized or something....he literally just put it on the turf. can't happen...but it does/did

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I've said this before.......you take jerry, trey, tommy, and romfo and throw their names away and just show up unannounced and watched practice not knowing who was qb1, 2, 3, or 4 and saw all four throw and run and whatnot you (i) would put jerry at qb1....he has it all.

but yes i agree being a qb is more than "chucking the pigskin"....but where i disagree is that just because you promote someone from 4 stringer to starter everyone is just gonna get pissed or quit.  if jerry is the "guy" put him in and a couple of field stretchers...hakim or torey.....would love to see five wide on the first lay against isu(b) with jerry and bo, wes, nate d, korey, and hakim....pick your poison.

how to quickly lose a team is have the qb play afraid no matter what year or status he is....twice now in "big" games tommy has literally just said..."you want this ball i'll just gently lay in down in front of you...jump on it"...it's not like he was pulverized or something....he literally just put it on the turf. can't happen...but it does/did

I have watched them. I know you have claimed you know more about football than the rest of us, but with all due respect, I will trust my own judgement based on my experience. It also involves watching practice, games, warmups (and additional experiences). Same for you. 
That means your opinion and my opinion are not more valid than the rest of the so called “clueless clowns” that someone called the rest of us not too long ago. 
We will see over time. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, iramurphy said:

I have watched them. I know you have claimed you know more about football than the rest of us, but with all due respect, I will trust my own judgement based on my experience. It also involves watching practice, games, warmups (and additional experiences). Same for you. 
That means your opinion and my opinion are not more valid than the rest of the so called “clueless clowns” that someone called the rest of us not too long ago. 
We will see over time. 

never claimed that nor said that........all i've said is that jerry reminds me of waletkzo when i saw him as a true freshman....matt didn't look the other guys...his size, mobility, body structure..... and I got crazy DM's saying guys like Rooney, Aplin and I think Russo were "studs" and "better" and that Waletkzo wouldn't start a game his freshman year over guys like that. i said he (matt) should be starting from week one...got those DM'ers triggered!

same thing for jerry...he just looks different...he looks the part.....but for now it would be fun to see what trey can/could do but after tommy coming out against the panthers in the second half it would take hell freezing over for someone other than tommy to start this season imo

5 hours ago, GoodGood said:

He’ll light up Indiana State and prove the doubters wrong once again 

You obviously weren't around when not so long ago a 5 yard swing pass was 50/50. Never thought I'd see the day that a "fan" b*tched about an upcoming game we are expected to dominate. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

This team has the ability to right the ship. They need to accept the responsibility for their poor play. I would have changed QB’s at start of or early in second half to see if Feeney could have provided the spark the team needed. If not they could have evaluated his ability under adverse conditions with the team not playing well to see if that can provide an ability to stretch the field. We need to win out to assure a playoff spot. This team and staff need to see that as an opportunity to prove we are moving the program forward and can play at a championship level. 

We’ve been hoping the ship would get righted for a while. There has been opportunity for the team to get excited and win out for a while. This is a broken record. We’re beating a dead horse. Until a change worth noting happens (quarterback, coordinator, head coach, etc.) there is no reason to expect anything different. This current program is very well established: 7-4 annually, good at home, poor on the road, so bad on the road that a championship is not possible with the current leadership structure. It is entirely excluded without change. That in itself should precipitate change. 

5 hours ago, GoodGood said:

He’ll light up Indiana State and prove the doubters wrong once again 

This is a perfect drama / Hollywood script. Team plays at home, wins, everyone loves the team; team plays on the road, loses, everyone pissed; team plays at home, wins, everyone excited again; team plays on road, loses, we can maybe right the ship; team plays at home, wins, look I told you so; team plays on road, loses, players and coaches will work hard and do better; team plays at home, wins, makes playoffs, we’re coming, UND football has turned the corner; UND plays on road in playoffs, loses, there’s always next year. 

rinse and repeat for a decade plus, here’s some extensions 

such a broken record, but entertaining in a strange sort of way for those content with mediocrity, which at this point is any fan of the past 15+ years. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I have hopes that either Feeney or Kaminski will be a game changer for us at QB. 

I didn't expect that this year with Tommy returning as a 3 year starter and still don't.   Really hoping one of those 2 can elevate the position in the future. 

Did I hear Tommy is coming back next year?

If so, with his career stats, what will be the fallout from that?

Feeney was a highly known recruit.  I dont know much about the other guy.

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Check your post on p 41 of the Boise State thread from Sept 16:

“we’re realistic and probably know football more than you and the other clueless clowns on here”. 

A lot of passion for UND football on this forum. Sometimes that comes out as bitterness and angst. There could be more passion outside of this forum if the team / program consistently performed and built on wins rather than always starting over, pressing the reset button. The back-and-forth dialogue on this forum about who knows more is at times entertaining, but having a program running on all cylinders and putting wins together would be more fun. I’d like to see us all come together when that happens. The few days after the NDSU win was fun on here, but more so in the community amongst alumni and former players (reality matters? - of course!). Those are the feelings we want, and that is the environment we want - GOALS!. At some point, though, we have to understand it won’t happen spontaneously. It won’t happen with minor adjustments here or there. Want to change course? Well, then, change. What is currently happening is happening because no one will stick their neck out and make the big decision (and could be termed a hard decision) that is needed. This is for certain individuals with decision making power at UND. Supporters (like those commenting on here) can influence change to a certain degree, but we certainly aren’t making the final decision. This is again about the entire program, which includes the alumni base and supporters, not individuals. Make the difficult decisions based on that, the team, not individuals, which ironically was stated by Bubba in his introductory presser in 2013.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Kab said:

Not buying coaches speak,that it’s on him and he needs to do better

he knew that before the game, just do it

Just wonder after all of these years of poor road showings what prompted him to all of a sudden say it is on him.  Does he feel the sentiment building that this isn't just a one off situation, but something that should have been fixed by now?  Certainly it is on the players as well, but at some point you have to recruit players that hate losing at anything they do, and that don't need to be coddled when they don't show up.  I guess I don't have first hand knowledge, but Bubba just doesn't seem like a guy that lights a fire under the guys or lights them up when they fail to compete and focus.  Probably need some more players that can self motivate if that is the case. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

What feeling does everyone have with Ziebarth's injury. Clearly not playing this week. We thinking more week to week or potentially season ender? 

Any information released?

who steps up 

redshirts to burn?