SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

On 10/4/2023 at 7:30 PM, jdub27 said:

SDSU definitely made the right call not moving on from Stiegelmeier.

There's no guarantees on staying the course or making a change. It's almost like the people making the decisions have a lot more information than fans that goes well beyond public information. Nebraska is literally a perfect example of letting fans have way too much input on coaching decisions. 

No their boosters $$$$$ are the ones who make the decisions, fans with no $$$$ are just that….. fans

• Downvote 1

On 10/5/2023 at 4:02 PM, AJS said:

I posted this earlier this week. There is a chance that the reason it was so lopsided is because SDSU is a step or two better than ANY other FCS team, except for Montana State. Let’s let this one play out for a few more weeks. 

Their players were superior and mostly starters were seniors. I don’t think we played as well as we should have but we can’t discount SDSU’s elite talent level. Coaching did come into question after the game no doubt 

11 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We will all feel much better about this team we love after we beat Western Illinois by 15-20 points.  The real question for everyone on this forum is 5-7 wins a year good enough for UND football?  Quite honestly, if Bubba's teams would win 8-9 games a season and we were a Top 10 FCS team year in and year out, I would be fine.  I'm not ok with 5-7 wins each year at the University of North Dakota.

I don’t think anyone is good with 5-7 wins per year. We are just not going to be able to change the fact that bubbas contract is not up for the foreseeable season. We will all be ready to move on by that point but bubba may retire early too. All of us will be pissed if we lose to SU. 

the difference between all of us is the pointless pitching between all of the Debbie downers who complain but can’t do anything about it because they have no money to be in influence on the decisions. We clearly see when the team sucks we don’t need you to dwell on it when thinks can’t change at this moment. Quit beating the dead horse we got it YEARS ago!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Based on my conversations with my SU buddies in the FM area this is the least talented NDSU team in a decade. Can't blow this opportunity especially at home.

Kelly said this is the worst line SU has had ever! Which is crazy because they had good recruits. Sounds like they won’t be like sdsu dominating lines 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Kelly said this is the worst line SU has had ever! Which is crazy because they had good recruits. Sounds like they won’t be like sdsu dominating lines 

They graduated 11 seniors but when it came out that also lost 19 to the portal to me it was not only setting up this season for them but possibly the future of their program.  At least under Entze's reign.  It still doesn't guarantee a win for anyone in the conference but the crack in the armor showed last weekend. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Going48 said:

They graduated 11 seniors but when it came out that also lost 19 to the portal to me it was not only setting up this season for them but possibly the future of their program.  At least under Entze's reign.  It still doesn't guarantee a win for anyone in the conference but the crack in the armor showed last weekend. 

What's interesting is their opening game's starters on O and D listed 20 seniors and 2 sophomores.

13 minutes ago, Going48 said:

They lost 19 players to the portal! Cripes, what the heck is going on in FU land?

On 11/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

HUGE win yesterday.  What happens next Saturday in Cedar Falls will tell us a bunch about what happened yesterday and the rest of the season.

• Upvote 2

There has previously been a lot of talk about Bubba and UND going for it on 4th down on our side of the field vs NDSU while winning in the second quarter.  There has also been a lot of talk about how UND had the opportunity to hire DeBoer, Washington's current head coach.

These situations aren't exactly apples to apples, and Washington was at least out of field goal range, but the two situations are close enough that it's worth mentioning.  Similar coaching decision, similar situation, different result.  Guessing Washington fans would have been pissed at DeBoer had they not converted and Oregon scored.  People would have been praising Bubba had UND converted.  Results matter, of course.  Given the discussion here lately, I just found this play call somewhat amusing when I saw it...

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

There has previously been a lot of talk about Bubba and UND going for it on 4th down on our side of the field vs NDSU while winning in the second quarter.  There has also been a lot of talk about how UND had the opportunity to hire DeBoer, Washington's current head coach.

These situations aren't exactly apples to apples, and Washington was at least out of field goal range, but the two situations are close enough that it's worth mentioning.  Similar coaching decision, similar situation, different result.  Guessing Washington fans would have been pissed at DeBoer had they not converted and Oregon scored.  People would have been praising Bubba had UND converted.  Results matter, of course.  Given the discussion here lately, I just found this play call somewhat amusing when I saw it...

What DeBoer (and Eric Schmidt!) and Washington are doing is very impressive … certainly not apples to apples. 

• Upvote 1

I’m done with Tommy. 

Don’t get me wrong, he has done good things and will lead UND in a lot of categories. He was also not the only issue with today’s game. With that being said, I don’t think he is the guy to lead this team on a deep playoff run. 

It is unlikely they will make this move this year, but I wonder if they will have the balls to not have him back for his Covid year next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

I’m done with Tommy. 

Don’t get me wrong, he has done good things and will lead UND in a lot of categories. He was also not the only issue with today’s game. With that being said, I don’t think he is the guy to lead this team on a deep playoff run. 

It is unlikely they will make this move this year, but I wonder if they will have the balls to not have him back for his Covid year next season. 

If the OL canlt blick 3 or 4 rushing OL.  That is not on Tommy.  Maybe Joe P.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:40 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

HUGE win yesterday.  What happens next Saturday in Cedar Falls will tell us a bunch about what happened yesterday and the rest of the season.

Sucks, but I guess now we know.  Win all the games we should(7-4) and we will be one and done in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Status quo, but this is a 10 year sample size

Yep.  Its just who we are.  Playing anyone other than a cupcake on the road is an instant L for Bubba.  Just can't get over the "hump".  We did get the Bison monkey off our back and was really hoping last weeks win would give us some juice and get us over the hump.  I was at a wedding so I could not watch the game other than on my phone.  

19 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Yep.  Its just who we are.  Playing anyone other than a cupcake on the road is an instant L for Bubba.  Just can't get over the "hump".  We did get the Bison monkey off our back and was really hoping last weeks win would give us some juice and get us over the hump.  I was at a wedding so I could not watch the game other than on my phone.  

You didn’t miss much

• Upvote 1