SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The game will be at noon. I’d prefer the biggest football game in North Dakota be played at 2 or 3 PM, that’s all. A huge number of other folks would agree with that. But it is what it is given the home hockey game. Ultimately, hockey is affecting football, which I think is pure bullsh*t and stupidity (in simple terms, I’m backed by popular vote), but again, we know who Chaves answers to (Midco, sure, but bigger picture is donor down south).

But aren't they also reacting to what they have to work with? They can certainly close the gap between games (lets put tv schedules aside for the moment); but they would only be hurting themselves and attendance for football. 

You don't want hockey to impact football, but football can impact hockey? Bottom line, schools with multiple sports are going to impact each other. You have to try your best to accommodate both. I really don't see a major issue with a 12pm game, it may not be ideal, but is a 2 hour difference the end of the world? No!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you just want more hardcore football fans, more football donors, and ultimately for football to have the exact same level of support that hockey does. That would be awesome and all, but wanting it isn't going to make it happen.

For what its worth, I think you could easily do the football game at 1 or 1:30 and the hockey game at 7 or 7:30. That being said, I'm not in charge of schedules and I'm guessing there are some other factors that play into this. I'm a fan of both, so I really don't have one I want to see get preference over the other. As long as I can watch both games and they both win, its a good day!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bincitysioux said:

When I was younger, I loved the double-header days.  Now I'm middle-aged, and it gets to be a long day so I will most likely have my hockey tix for those Saturdays for sale.  Well, maybe not the Wisconsin game because I miss seeing them on the schedule.

And the old guy in me appreciates the 6:00 pm hockey games on Saturdays now. 

I also loved the double headers when I was in school. Not being in GF, I don't have to worry about the ticket issue, its more a matter of dancing around kids activities.

I always enjoyed the 7/7:30 starts because I could get kids to bed and pretty much relax and enjoy the games in peach and quiet. Now my son is hooked on watching hockey (any team, any level, any time) so the 6 pm games are definitely nice so he can stay up and watch them.

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you just want more hardcore football fans, more football donors, and ultimately for football to have the exact same level of support that hockey does. That would be awesome and all, but wanting it isn't going to make it happen.

Well, actually, if you don’t identify the problem, you can’t really fix it. So I disagree. With that said, it’s a major uphill battle, for sure 

54 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The game will be at noon. I’d prefer the biggest football game in North Dakota be played at 2 or 3 PM, that’s all. A huge number of other folks would agree with that. But it is what it is given the home hockey game. Ultimately, hockey is affecting football, which I think is pure bullsh*t and stupidity (in simple terms, I’m backed by popular vote), but again, we know who Chaves answers to (Midco, sure, but bigger picture is donor down south).

No biggie with the earlier kickoff. I'll be heading up for it with a UND buddy. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with you in wishing the game could be played mid-afternoon.
I also understand that logistically, it cannot be. And it has nothing to do with anyone living in Las Vegas. Or maybe the football staff actually prefers the early kickoff and our opinions don't matter?
Maybe they will find a way to push the kickoff to 1 or 1:30 and move the hockey game back to 7pm given the magnitude of games that weekend. 

14 minutes ago, Kab said:

What was the reason for 6pm start on Saturday for hockey?

Officially I believe it was to make it a bit more family friendly as games were getting over fairly late.
Unofficial side benefit, probably boosts concession sales a fair amount

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes, absolutely. One is superior to the other. Ask the country. 

Again, you're ignoring the fact that you are in Grand Forks, which is a big time hockey town. Unless you're going to persuade the majority of the town to think the way you do, that is just a fact.

Now I'd love to see both football and hockey have the same level of passion and following, and if UND could make a multi year deep playoff run or win a few championships, you may very well start seeing that type of following for football. Not sure why you are always so hell bent on it having to be one or the other; like the success of football is directly related to a decline in hockey. Why not both? 

Hockey fans will always be hockey fans; There will always be some people where that is there priority. Same the other way. And there are enough people in GF and surrounding areas to support both, even if game times do overlap. The hockey following comes from "mostly" sustained success over a long period of time. Football hasn't been able to replicate that sustained success or generate the same type of following. If the following is there, I could care less if the games overlap, it just mean I have to lug a second tv into the living room so I can watch both at the same time.

• Upvote 2

Double headers are literally the only way I can get my buddies up to UND for a FB game.  And I'm guessing that's what get's many out of towners up there for games as well. @UND-FB-FAN you sound just as bad as hockey-only fans.  The school, and we as fans, need to work on developing a better synergy between FB and Hockey.   Would a noon kick really that big of a deal when the game is going to be sold out anyway? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

When I was younger, I loved the double-header days.  Now I'm middle-aged, and it gets to be a long day so I will most likely have my hockey tix for those Saturdays for sale.  Well, maybe not the Wisconsin game because I miss seeing them on the schedule.

And the old guy in me appreciates the 6:00 pm hockey games on Saturdays now. 

Same here. When I was going to UND, those double-header days were great. Now, not so much.

47 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Again, you're ignoring the fact that you are in Grand Forks, which is a big time hockey town. Unless you're going to persuade the majority of the town to think the way you do, that is just a fact.

I have a feeling UND-FB-FAN would be in Durham, NC, or Storrs, CT, trying to convince Duke or UConn BB fans to change focus to football. 

Or maybe a better example, Johns Hopkins fans that they need to dump lacrosse (nine DI titles) for football. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Officially I believe it was to make it a bit more family friendly as games were getting over fairly late.

I hear a lot of complaints from people about the 6:07pm Saturday start times for hockey. I guess I can live with either 6:07 or 7:07.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I agree with you in wishing the game could be played mid-afternoon.
I also understand that logistically, it cannot be. And it has nothing to do with anyone living in Las Vegas. Or maybe the football staff actually prefers the early kickoff and our opinions don't matter?
Maybe they will find a way to push the kickoff to 1 or 1:30 and move the hockey game back to 7pm given the magnitude of games that weekend. 

Another thing to consider is Saturday is not a work day for most. People have more time to get to Grand Forks if coming from out of town, and can get back home at a reasonable hour, plenty of folks got church in the morning.

Friday makes sense to be a bit later. People need time to get to Grand Forks or go home and change, grab dinner, etc. I quite like the way UND times the hockey games. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have a feeling UND-FB-FAN would be in Durham, NC, or Storrs, CT, trying to convince Duke or UConn BB fans to change focus to football. 

Or maybe a better example, Johns Hopkins fans that they need to dump lacrosse (nine DI titles) for football. 

Honestly, no. But credit to you on the attempted analogies.

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Now I'd love to see both football and hockey have the same level of passion and following, and if UND could make a multi year deep playoff run or win a few championships, you may very well start seeing that type of following for football. Not sure why you are always so hell bent on it having to be one or the other; like the success of football is directly related to a decline in hockey. Why not both? 

Hockey fans will always be hockey fans; There will always be some people where that is their priority. Same the other way. And there are enough people in GF and surrounding areas to support both, even if game times do overlap. The hockey following comes from "mostly" sustained success over a long period of time. Football hasn't been able to replicate that sustained success or generate the same type of following. If the following is there, I could care less if the games overlap, it just mean I have to lug a second tv into the living room so I can watch both at the same time.

The status quo isn’t nearly good enough for UND athletics. In fact, 2022-2023 was a very disappointing year. “Grand Forks is a big hockey town” is the status quo. Also perhaps a fact, but doesn’t mean it’s unchangeable.