SiouxSports.com Forum

USD @ UND 11/12/22

Dustin

15 hours ago, Dustin said:

Ordinarily I would be in favor of deferring.  But considering how our defense is compared to our offense this year, I see it like this:  take the ball, drive down the field and score.  Crowd is rockin'.  Defense gets pumped up to go out there and try to match the O's mojo.  Complimentary football.

OR...the D comes out, gives up a TD after failing to make tackles, applying no pressure to the QB and lets the other team score in 3:43 seconds and deflates everything the O did.

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct about the importance of winning. I don’t believe we competing with hockey or the Ralph. They are both an important part of UND and UND athletics. The hockey difference in addition to solid outside financial support, is that many of our hockey fans are otherwise NDSU fans and Hockey has had a long successful run. FB has been inconsistent especially through the slow transition. FB benefits from successful hockey, MBB, WBB, and VB as does the University. Anything bringing positive attention to UND will benefit the athletic programs. 

We’re talking about attendance, not which sport is more important. There are plenty of NDSU football fans who are UND hockey fans, but those fans don’t factor into this equation, because NDSU fans obviously aren’t going to be filling the Alerus Center regularly.

Fans of UND often choose to attend one event or the other, not both, when they are scheduled on the same date. Too much commitment to attend both if you have family, daytime work scheduled, traveling family to cater to, etc.

REA oftentimes gets the nod due to the nightlife aspect and aesthetics. Additionally, being it’s an evening event, work schedule and travel plans don’t conflict as much as an early afternoon game. 

Last but not least, the UND hockey reputation vs that of football is in hockey’s favor.

To regularly expect fans to show up to both events on game days is not realistic. Just the reality of UND football occurring simultaneously with UND hockey.

With that said, there’s enough folks around Grand Forks to ultimately fill the Alerus. 

If UND can win more and convince regional fair weather fans to buy in (e.g., beat NDSU), that will help attendance - no doubt. 

4 hours ago, wheelsup said:

I wish they would make the pre 4th quarter hype videos available on the North Dakota football Facebook page or the football app.  They are awesome! 

whoever is doing those needs to put together more content. 

I agree with this. The 4th quarter hype videos are way better than the intro hype video. 

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If UND can win more and convince regional fair weather fans to buy in (e.g., beat NDSU), that will help attendance - no doubt. 

This is a huge part of the equation to regularly filling the Alerus,
as of now it's only when Bison are in town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We’re talking about attendance, not which sport is more important. There are plenty of NDSU football fans who are UND hockey fans, but those fans don’t factor into this equation, because NDSU fans obviously aren’t going to be filling the Alerus Center regularly.

Fans of UND often choose to attend one event or the other, not both, when they are scheduled on the same date. Too much commitment to attend both if you have family, daytime work scheduled, traveling family to cater to, etc.

REA oftentimes gets the nod due to the nightlife aspect and aesthetics. Additionally, being it’s an evening event, work schedule and travel plans don’t conflict as much as an early afternoon game. 

Last but not least, the UND hockey reputation vs that of football is in hockey’s favor.

To regularly expect fans to show up to both events on game days is not realistic. Just the reality of UND football occurring simultaneously with UND hockey.

With that said, there’s enough folks around Grand Forks to ultimately fill the Alerus. 

You mentioned “competing with the Ralph”.  My comments were related to attendance. There are many fans who attend hockey and FB as well as MBB and WBB. Fans want to be associated with success. 

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You mentioned “competing with the Ralph”.  My comments were related to attendance. There are many fans who attend hockey and FB as well as MBB and WBB. Fans want to be associated with success. 

Sure, there are “many” fans, but to be more specific, I hope that the Alerus Center can be sold out in the future as opposed to having only 9500 seats filled during important end-of-season games. Need to keep winning, need to keep improving, across the board. 

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sure, there are “many” fans, but to be more specific, I hope that the Alerus Center can be sold out in the future as opposed to having only 9500 seats filled during important end-of-season games. Need to keep winning, need to keep improving, across the board. 

I dont think we had anywhere close to 9500 in the building yesterday 

9 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I dont think we had anywhere close to 9500 in the building yesterday 

agree 100%.. 9500 was a very generous number.  Im going to blame it on the weather shutting down the western half of the state, but I was disappointed by the showing.  Very few students.. lots of empty season ticket holder seats and very empty otherwise as well.  I truly expected more on such a meaningful game.. senior day.. veterans weekend.. playing a South Dakota team(seemed like there was about zero USD fans) and basically the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

agree 100%.. 9500 was a very generous number.  Im going to blame it on the weather shutting down the western half of the state, but I was disappointed by the showing.  Very few students.. lots of empty season ticket holder seats and very empty otherwise as well.  I truly expected more on such a meaningful game.. senior day.. veterans weekend.. playing a South Dakota team(seemed like there was about zero USD fans) and basically the playoffs.

I've seen big improvement in student section attendance this year, except this game. 

Posted in attendance thread, I'll leave this here:

Storm day Thursday
Holiday Friday
Left campus before game day.

Poor showing Saturday

31 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've seen big improvement in student section attendance this year, except this game. 

Posted in attendance thread, I'll leave this here:

Storm day Thursday
Holiday Friday
Left campus before game day.

Poor showing Saturday

That is exactly what I thought.  They left on Wed. To beat the storm.

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Blocked punt.

Blocked EP to leave it a two score (nine point) game.

Where’s my weekly read of “our specials teams aren’t”? 

I especially love that they knew we were going to try and block the punt and they could not stop us - great scheming!